Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2000km in a Model Y up to the mountains - NL to Swiss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20230429_163045~2.jpg

This is a summary of my trip with my new 2023 MY RWD from Netherlands to Switzerland and back.
This is my first EV transition, having had many an ICE car throughout my driving life of 21 years across multiple continents.
But as I had also done a road trip to Nurburgring just a couple of weeks earlier (posted in seperate article), range anxiety was not a thing, as I found that with right planning, the journey can be a breeze.

With most of the 2000km spent across the hills, and mountains in Germany and Switzerland, I was pleasantly surprised to see the RWD return healthy figures on consumption.
The car was loaded with 3 adults and 2 children, packed with luggage in the boot and frunk.
So to get a net return of 174 Kwh was lovely.

20230430_201836.jpg

The Journey included the relevant stops for charging, meals and sightseeing.
NL > Hilden > Bensheim > Mummelsee > Movenpick > Engelberg

Setting off with a near full battery from home, early in the morning, the RWD makes it easily to the 1st SUC at Hilden.
This is a fantastic spot for charging with over 40 SUC, and atleast 20 other brand chargers on site, incl FastNed, including a NIO service center.
The bakery onsite (Seed & Greet) provides fabulous treats, to recover from the 2+ hour journey to the site.

20230408_111301.jpg

Next Up, a quick topup at Bensheim and grabbing a lunch at the local Burger King, the journey took me upto Mummelsee for a spot of lovely BlackForest Pastry.
Was surprised to see 2 * 11kw charger at the popular tourist stop. This helped me gain enough charge to get into Movenpick hotel in Zurich for a dash of charge, before an eventual night halt in Engelberg.

After a few days enjoying the hills and valleys in Switzerland, i carried out a similar journey back, with a stop at Rhein falls, instead of Mummelsee.

What was shocking was the cost of SUC in Germany and Swiss meant, my total journey fuel cost was more expensive than the 2 ICE cars that made the journey with me.
387 Kwh for Eur 199.75 means the avg cost worked out to just over Eur c0.51 per Kwh.

But nothing can take away the sheer driving pleasure of the Model Y in the mountains or sheer pace on the autobahn (200km+)
Can't wait for the next adventure.

A wonderful story and pictures are beautiful. The ONE thing I think people should understand is that NO planning is required for these trips. Yes, we all consider where we are going to stop overnight and many will plan where to stop for charging. But you don't need to plan your charging stops. The car will do that for you. Just press that right hand scroll wheel and tell the car where you want to go. I just finished a trip from Nova Scotia - Ottawa Ontario - Orlando Florida - Nova Scotia. NO prior charging stops planned. Looking forward to renting a Tesla in Frankfurt and driving to Italy and back later this month.

Reactions: glovelace and AGNL
View attachment 936399

This is a summary of my trip with my new 2023 MY RWD from Netherlands to Switzerland and back.
This is my first EV transition, having had many an ICE car throughout my driving life of 21 years across multiple continents.
But as I had also done a road trip to Nurburgring just a couple of weeks earlier (posted in seperate article), range anxiety was not a thing, as I found that with right planning, the journey can be a breeze.

With most of the 2000km spent across the hills, and mountains in Germany and Switzerland, I was pleasantly surprised to see the RWD return healthy figures on consumption.
The car was loaded with 3 adults and 2 children, packed with luggage in the boot and frunk.
So to get a net return of 174 Kwh was lovely.

View attachment 936405

The Journey included the relevant stops for charging, meals and sightseeing.
NL > Hilden > Bensheim > Mummelsee > Movenpick > Engelberg

Setting off with a near full battery from home, early in the morning, the RWD makes it easily to the 1st SUC at Hilden.
This is a fantastic spot for charging with over 40 SUC, and atleast 20 other brand chargers on site, incl FastNed, including a NIO service center.
The bakery onsite (Seed & Greet) provides fabulous treats, to recover from the 2+ hour journey to the site.

View attachment 936412

Next Up, a quick topup at Bensheim and grabbing a lunch at the local Burger King, the journey took me upto Mummelsee for a spot of lovely BlackForest Pastry.
Was surprised to see 2 * 11kw charger at the popular tourist stop. This helped me gain enough charge to get into Movenpick hotel in Zurich for a dash of charge, before an eventual night halt in Engelberg.

After a few days enjoying the hills and valleys in Switzerland, i carried out a similar journey back, with a stop at Rhein falls, instead of Mummelsee.

What was shocking was the cost of SUC in Germany and Swiss meant, my total journey fuel cost was more expensive than the 2 ICE cars that made the journey with me.
387 Kwh for Eur 199.75 means the avg cost worked out to just over Eur c0.51 per Kwh.

But nothing can take away the sheer driving pleasure of the Model Y in the mountains or sheer pace on the autobahn (200km+)
Can't wait for the next adventure.
Beautiful view of the first pix. In 1980s I traveled to Germany a lot for business and my colleague there drove us from MUNSTER to MUNICH then BAVARIA and the BLACKFOREST the birth place of Cuckoo Clock. He took me to a special place for lunch where I saw too many exotics Cars. Glad U had a fun trip with your MYLR. I am looking forward to going back to Amsterdam and Germany someday. Can't wait

Reactions: AGNL