TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2008 (or 9?) Roadster #278

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by bpangburn, Apr 9, 2015.

1. bpangburn

bpangburn Member

This just came up on eBay.

Tesla Roadster Rearview Cam | eBay

Anyone here know any specifics about this car? Listed as 2008, but images show a Manufacture Date of Dec 2009.

Looks like an aftermarket stereo and possibly a few cracks/scratches, but that could be the lighting I guess.

2. bolosky

bolosky Member

I definitely wasn't made in Dec, 2009. I have #670, and it was delivered in Aug, 2009 (and it's a 2.0, while this one is a 1.5).

3. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

There were no 2009s. All 1.5's are considered the 2008 model year, even though most were built in 2009.

4. bpangburn

bpangburn Member

Thank you. I've just placed a deposit on this car and hope to pick it up next week. Happy day!!!

5. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

#105 has a build date of November 2008

6. bpangburn

bpangburn Member

Guess I can't type today with all of the excitement. This is #278, not #248. As a Junior Member I don't think I can edit that so if a moderator can fix the Thread Name I'd appreciate it.

7. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

The sticker clearly says Dec. 2009 and 278. Must be a story there. Mine is 472 and is from May 2009.

What is the carbon fiber thing under the radio?

8. bart513

bart513 Member

Beautiful car! Congrats!

9. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

If I was bpangburn I would contact a local SC and ask about that that car VIN to make sure it checks out.

10. bpangburn

bpangburn Member

Absolutely!

11. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

Congrats! I just bought my Roadster from Texas Auto Direct as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

In general, they have been very good to deal with. I had them send the car to Tesla in Houston for a pre-purchase inspection. Tesla found a few problems, and Texas Auto Direct paid to fix them all.

You just need to follow up with them a fair amount. They tend to "forget" to do things that cost them money. :)

12. bpangburn

bpangburn Member

Car is headed to Tesla Service on Tuesday to fix an airbag light and a headlight. They will also do a pre-purchase. Car was fully serviced in August 2014 and apparently only has about 100 new miles since then. Tesla Service told me that they also did a complementary quick check on the car in January and everything checked out. Hope to pick it up on Thursday or Friday.

Regarding the VIN, CarFax is clear, but I'm also checking through a few law enforcement contacts. I have two mostly unfounded theories on the build date: 1. the VIN was assigned, but the build was delayed for some customization or other reason OR 2. maybe the car failed some sort of QA testing and went back through the plant. Other theories are welcome. I've asked Texas Auto Direct to see if they can get any other explanation from Tesla Service when the car goes in on Tuesday.

Thanks.
    -Brian

13. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

Sounds good. You can call the Tesla Houston service center direct and find out more from them.

It seems like Texas Auto Direct is buying a bunch (or all?) Roadster trade-ins from Tesla. Mine was a trade-in from Georgia. Someone buying a P85D. :)

14. bpangburn

bpangburn Member

I agree with your assessment. When I asked my sales guy where he got the car, he said "Tesla" and said that they were starting to get a lot of cars directly from Tesla. I also haven't seen a certified pre-owned Roadster on the Tesla site in at least a few months.

15. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

Nearly all of the 1.5 Roadsters failed QA checks which almost put Tesla into bankruptcy... it wouldn't surprise me at all if the VINs are out of order depending on how long it took to resolve each particular car's issues.

- - - Updated - - -

And Tesla officially ended the Roadster CPO program a while ago.

16. n2mb_racing

n2mb_racing Member

Another thing I remembered. If they put new rear tires on your car, make sure you check which tires they put on. They put inexpensive all-season tires on mine at first that didn't work well. I was able to convince them to swap them out for new Advan AD07 summer tires.

Finally, test all of the charging cables. One of mine was bad.

17. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Yes... what is the carbon fiber thing? Inquiring minds want to know. If it's some sort of custom (tiny) glove box, I would love to know more about it.

18. bpangburn

bpangburn Member

Once I see it in person, I'll figure it out and will certainly share.

19. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

Thanks! And congrats!

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

It looks like a fair bit of custom audio work was done from the pop-out screen to focal speakers.
    I suspect that the carbon fiber bit under the radio is related. It looks like maybe there might be a USB port there.
    Maybe a place to put flash memory with songs?

Also it has California carpool stickers, so one has to assume it spent some time being registered in California.