Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2008 (or 9?) Roadster #278

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. I've just placed a deposit on this car and hope to pick it up next week. Happy day!!!

Congrats! I just bought my Roadster from Texas Auto Direct as well. Let me know if you have any questions.

In general, they have been very good to deal with. I had them send the car to Tesla in Houston for a pre-purchase inspection. Tesla found a few problems, and Texas Auto Direct paid to fix them all.

You just need to follow up with them a fair amount. They tend to "forget" to do things that cost them money. :)

Car is headed to Tesla Service on Tuesday to fix an airbag light and a headlight. They will also do a pre-purchase. Car was fully serviced in August 2014 and apparently only has about 100 new miles since then. Tesla Service told me that they also did a complementary quick check on the car in January and everything checked out. Hope to pick it up on Thursday or Friday.

Regarding the VIN, CarFax is clear, but I'm also checking through a few law enforcement contacts. I have two mostly unfounded theories on the build date: 1. the VIN was assigned, but the build was delayed for some customization or other reason OR 2. maybe the car failed some sort of QA testing and went back through the plant. Other theories are welcome. I've asked Texas Auto Direct to see if they can get any other explanation from Tesla Service when the car goes in on Tuesday.

Thanks.
-Brian

Nearly all of the 1.5 Roadsters failed QA checks which almost put Tesla into bankruptcy... it wouldn't surprise me at all if the VINs are out of order depending on how long it took to resolve each particular car's issues.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with your assessment. When I asked my sales guy where he got the car, he said "Tesla" and said that they were starting to get a lot of cars directly from Tesla. I also haven't seen a certified pre-owned Roadster on the Tesla site in at least a few months.

And Tesla officially ended the Roadster CPO program a while ago.

I agree with your assessment. When I asked my sales guy where he got the car, he said "Tesla" and said that they were starting to get a lot of cars directly from Tesla. I also haven't seen a certified pre-owned Roadster on the Tesla site in at least a few months.

Another thing I remembered. If they put new rear tires on your car, make sure you check which tires they put on. They put inexpensive all-season tires on mine at first that didn't work well. I was able to convince them to swap them out for new Advan AD07 summer tires.

Finally, test all of the charging cables. One of mine was bad.

It looks like a fair bit of custom audio work was done from the pop-out screen to focal speakers.
I suspect that the carbon fiber bit under the radio is related. It looks like maybe there might be a USB port there.
Maybe a place to put flash memory with songs?

Also it has California carpool stickers, so one has to assume it spent some time being registered in California.