Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2008 Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello

I'm considering a 2008 Roadster having just cancelled my Model S reservation. I do have a few questions and I apologize if it been covered before. I tried to read as many threads as I could before posting.

Is the Roadster a lemon? I know the word lemon is really harsh. But I was reading the thread on "List the issues you had ..." and it seems the common theme is TPMS and PEM and some other elements critical to the operability of the car. I understand this forum is just a very small sample size but at 2400 cars out there, the small sample size of respondents just might be representative of the real world.

a)What's a PEM? And are all early production cars all destined to have PEM fail sooner or later? I read somewhere people upgraded the PEM, is that a warranty thing or a personal thing? at $12k to replace/repair, seems like really touchy subject once warranty goes out. I'm coming from a SL500 camp and I can tell you, the consensus is the ABC Suspension and the Vario Roof will likely fail sooner or later.

b)The TPMS that's failing. Are they replacing it with the same stuff or has Tesla found a better replacement so it won't fail every other month?

c)Battery. Some threads noted every time they go into the service center, they see someone's Roadster having the battery swapped. That's a scary proposition. You guys terrified?

d)Extended warranty. I think I've only read it was briefly mentioned on an announcement very very soon. Is this a must? Given this is the first car Tesla ever produced and there's bound to be tons of bugs to be worked out.

It seems just everyone loves their Roadster here, but how do you feel about its reliability going forward?

Thanks.

Welcome!

Why did you cancel your Model S? There will likely be a lot less reliability issues with the Model S than a Roadster. Also more advanced in the sense it has liquid cooled motor and PEM as well as battery.

PEM definition from Tesla
Roadster Technology - Power Control | Tesla Motors

I've never had a TPMS problem but others have

I've never had a battery problem but a small percentage of owners have and have all been taken care of under warranty. I wouldn't consider the Roadster a lemon by any means but it is a unique car and a first effort from Tesla. They've learned a lot in the last 5 years and that reflects in the Model S. I'd definitely get the extended warranty if you're getting the Roadster. It is a great car but expensive to repair if something does go wrong.

I own my roadster for almost 2 years and did more then 106.000km, my last trip over 2500km within 6 days. My current concerns are most the PEM getting to hot, because of dust/dirt reducing the heat exchange until not being sufficient enough, than the PEM needs do be cleaned. Tesla should employ an air filter to keep the debris outside.

Reactions: AtAge19
You can not call an entire run of a model a lemon. It would be a specific vehicle.

Don't do your reliability research on a forum where people go to complain and/or look for help with issues. It is hardly an accurate sampling of the population of roadsters.

Best of luck!

As a previous employee around the time of VPs I can tell you that VPs were well looked after and cared for.

Yes they were used for drives and some testing, but being in the care of their creators for longer time was not a bad thing.

I would not fear a VP. I actually may fear an independent used roadster more... Not knowing history and all...

The old VPs did get put through a lot... loaned to press, etc.
But, on the other hand, many had updates done to them along the way to "freshen" them as improvements were developed.
So you would really have to look at it case by case. Some good and not so good mixed together.

By the way, they didn't make all the VPs at the same time. Later VPs were done further along through the production line than the early ones.
I would say like VPs < #15 are more along the lines of prototypes and probably had a lot more sordid history.
You get to VPs #25+ and they are more like regular production cars.

Ok, based on the good comments above, I've decided to do it and buy it. Can anyone go look at the car for me? Its in Denver, CO. Its still under warranty so I'm not too concerned with the mechanics, just superficial stuff and most importantly, no smoke smell.