Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

200kwh battery? [in the new hummer]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm probably late to the game here, but I just saw that the new Hummer EV has a 200kwh battery pack and an approx $100k msrp. what percentage of that $100k represents the cost of the battery to GM? 200kwh capacity is the equal of 15 PW's. It seem incongruous to me. If GM can engineer and sell it at that price point, I gotta believe Tesla could too.

Yes a Powerwall and a Hummer have different components and therefore different cost structures. For example, the cost per kWh for Lithium batteries is reportedly $100 per kWh. Using that number, a battery in a Powerwall is $1,300 and the battery in a Hummer might be $20,000. The rest is other parts and presumably profit. To me those cost structures and their percentages are the difference between apples and pomogranates. One may have a different value to different consumers depending on where those consumers are standing.
I wanted the same inverter capacity of a Powerwall but I wanted three times the battery capacity so I did a DIY inverter battery system because I wanted a different mix of components. I would not buy a Hummer EV because it does not offer the value proposition that my Teslas offer.

1) Tesla is selling Powerwalls for what the market will bear, not necessarily what it costs them to produce, and are probably making a nice profit.

2) GM is selling Hummers (or you know, maybe one day will be) for what the market will bear, not necessarily what it costs them to produce, and are probably losing substantial amounts of money on each early copy.

Reactions: Ampster
@ucmndd While I agree with your Tesla comments, I respectfully disagree with your comments on GM. These EV Hummers are currently selling at 2-3x MSRP with dealer markup or through flippers on the secondary market..... So GM is actually charging a far cry from what the market will currently bear. When establishing MSRP, GM is not looking at margin for the vehicles sold in the first model year. They are considering profitability at a given price point over the entire anticipated 5-7 year run of the vehicle's generation.

Reactions: no2gates
It depends on the exact supplier and contracts, but the typical cost that a manufacturer pays for a kwh of battery is at the low end in the $130s (Tesla seems to be able to do this), and on the higher end $170 or so (many other manufacturers). Keep in mind that the costs are pretty variable. It might rise due to inflation, supply chain, and demand. Long term it is falling due to better technology and economies of scale. If you take the average of $150 / kwh, the Hummer battery would cost $30k.