Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to PFC Energy, a consulting firm to energy companies, shifting 10 percent of U.S. electricity sources to wind power would require wind farms covering an area the size of South Dakota; shifting 10 percent to solar would require an investment of $16 trillion.

"I'm not trying to trivialize things," said J. Robinson West, the firm's founder. "It's just the scale and cost are staggering."

This is a lie.

Solar and wind are not direct substitutes for oil. Oil is not really used in the USA to generate electricity. Most of the world doesn't use any oil at all for electricity.

This audience on this website obviously has the ability to get off of oil and go to a model where solar/wind can substitute for oil by using a Tesla Roadster.

But the only way that solar/wind can substitute for oil is by a significant portion of the population getting electric cars. Then the electric grid and the sources that supply energy becomes relevant.

BP well disaster stuns hardened oil men

456428main_pia13150-full.jpg

Last edited:
By the way, shouldn't attention be focused on the oil industry as a whole, not specifically towards BP? This sort of problem keeps happening, with BP just the latest entity in the spotlight. If you want to protest, stop driving your gas car.

Everyone has a different way of expressing their disgust w/respect to something like this. Satire is one of them, I figure.

This is a particularly painful one to watch - regardless of your degree of love (tolerance?) for oil. It's wreaking havoc on the environment, and we wake up everyday to read that we are hardly closer to stopping it.

Anyway, it's been a serious factor in my resurged interest in electric cars, so I've been lurking the board again. Some kind of a positive in a plume of negative.