Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too bad there hasn't been as many restrictions as expected. Still allowing off-shore drilling to continue on.

I am very much in favor of a transition away from oil into more renewable forms of energy.

Perhaps the forced reduction in oil supply (more restrictions offshore) is a good long term result. Raise the price of oil so that other forms of energy are more competitive on price.

If we have $100 oil instead of $70 oil, that creates new opportunities for electric vehicles to be competitive.

In the USA we have become used to $3 per gallon gasoline. Perhaps we need gasoline above $4 or $5 per gallon to get people to wake up.

Completely agree with you James and all for the same. For most Americans it always takes a major hit in the pocket book before they'll change. My point was that even though we are hoping for significantly more restrictions to offshore drilling and there was a lot of talk regarding it, the reality is that it might not change a whole lot from before. Oil just has too much influence in the two parties right now.

I think I would pick a different word than amazing, but OK...

Maybe bewildering? Disconcerting? Upsetting? Flabbergasting? Frightening? Shocking? Disgusting?

Well yeah, splitting hairs over fairly synonymous words is going to fix things!

Completely agree with you James and all for the same. For most Americans it always takes a major hit in the pocket book before they'll change. My point was that even though we are hoping for significantly more restrictions to offshore drilling and there was a lot of talk regarding it, the reality is that it might not change a whole lot from before. Oil just has too much influence in the two parties right now.

Not to mention that while the economy has bounced back somewhat, most people just aren't in the financial position to put the "big picture" in front of their personal welfare.

That would make it likely the most productive oil well in one of the biggest oil fields EVER.

Even the best oil wells in Saudia Arabia and Texas, in the early part of the 19th century, only produced 25,000 bpd when they first started. An oil well producing 25,000 bpd ranks in probably the top 1% of oil wells.

A new well producing 5,000 to 10,000 bpd is a great success. On land it is very common for new oil wells to be successful at 1,000 bpd. They need bigger numbers offshore to make it worthwhile.

The odds are that this one is around 25,000 bpd and that indicates that BP has a really good license in that area of the Gulf of Mexico if they can ever get permission to drill again.

The Thunderhorse field in an another area of the Gulf of Mexico is producing 250,000 bpd from a series of wells drilled into that license.

If this single well is producing over 25,000 bpd, that that would indicate that this new field is a giant oil field.

...proven oil reserves in the Gulf of Mexico were about 6 billion barrels

Proven reserves are much different than what will ultimately come out of the region. Proven reserves are based on what can be produced at the current price of oil. At $100 per barrel, there are a lot of oil fields that become "proven" that are not viable at $70. At $150 per barrel there are even more oil fields that make sense.

The Macondo Prospect is a modest size oil field, but it made sense economically for BP to drill because it is near other undersea pipelines that are already in place. So the cost of Macondo was very reasonable. That size oil field would not make sense if it were in the middle of nowhere and all new pipelines were needed.

I have seen estimates that the Gulf of Mexico likely has 50 billion barrels of "technically" recoverable oil. That means regardless of price, we have the technical know how to extract it. But that is not reasonable at $70 per barrel.

In a Peak Oil world of energy shortages, then much of that oil will eventually be produced.