Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 Non-Sport Roadster 2.5 Model For Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. It is the best color. But I can't take credit: It was the lowest-priced (least optioned) Roadster in Tesla's inventory at the time I bought it. It was so late in the program that they were no longer taking orders for Roadsters except at the highest-option, highest-price levels because they needed the cash. I wanted a base-model Roadster. The salesman and I looked at his inventory list, and this one had the fewest options and the lowest price.

I just got lucky with the color.

You also bought the best color Model 3.

After a lot of back-and-forth wavering, I think I've decided to go ahead and try to sell the Roadster again. Based on comments above about the double-DIN stereo and the very high CAC (159.38) which I learned about from another thread and pulled from the screen, I'm going to stick with my original price of $75K.

So until I change my mind again, if you are reading this and want to buy the car, PM me.

I'm also going to list it somewhere, and based on comments on TMC I'm thinking of Autotrader. I'd welcome comments on the best place to list the car.

Good luck on your sale and the move to Maui. The most important part of getting top dollar from internet sales are good, detailed photos, that aren't overdone but staged in nicely. If you have nice location in your area and a friend or family member that's into photography, take a ride there and photograph the car at some good angles.

I thought the technology of the Model 3 would make me safer. And that's true, except that I found I don't so much like AP. (I still want a car that will let me sit in the back seat and close my eyes.) I thought that after 7 years it was time to move on to a more practical car and that I don't need two electric cars. But if I can make my Canada trip in the Model 3, then it's the Prius I no longer need.

On Maui the big advantage of the Roadster is the open top. But there's still the problem that it cannot haul anything, and if a couple comes to visit me I'd have to rent a car if we wanted to drive anywhere together. Even here at home, the Roadster needs another car to haul its tires to the tire place twice a year for switching between summer and winter tires. At least on Maui it would be summer tires all year around. (Though tires will probably cost twice as much there because of shipping.)

So I'll enjoy the Roadster for another year. If The Model 3 works out for Canada, I'll sell the Prius. If I end up only spending winters on Maui I'll keep the Roadster and the Model 3. If I end up moving to Maui I'll probably have to choose one or the other. In the mean time, it's going to be a PITA because the Prius needs to be plugged into a battery minder and I don't have space to plug in three cars. There's going to be some juggling of parking space.
Daniel get a small light trailer and a bike hitch for the Roadster. I had to pick up a bunch of Al for our First Robotics team.

Attachments

• F510180F-4D07-4CF2-996D-89661F0CC3C1.jpeg
    F510180F-4D07-4CF2-996D-89661F0CC3C1.jpeg
    683.2 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: AtAge19
A trailer for the Roadster does not solve the problem of having only two seats, and it can't make the trip to Canada without a 4-hour charging stop. And it doesn't have the cargo space for all the gear I bring to Canada. If I tried to pull the trailer to Canada, I'd probably have to make two six-hour charging stops instead of one 4-hour. The Model 3 can make it to Kelowna for a half-hour charging stop, and will add only an hour and a half to the trip compared to driving the stinker.

Plus, my post that you quoted was written before I learned that a big improvement is probably coming to AP, and before I had driven the Model 3 enough to decide that it's really a more comfortable car even if I never use AP.

The Model 3 is a more practical car. The Roadster is for sale. $75K.

But thanks for the suggestion. I had a little utility trailer for my Civic when I lived in rural North Dakota, and it was almost as good as having a pickup truck.

They have a shipper (maybe more than one) they use to ship cars. They shipped me my Roadster from Chicago and my Model 3 from Seattle. They would use that if they had to bring my car back to Seattle for repair. I just don't think they'd ship me a loaner, as it would likely be a lot cheaper to foot the bill for a rental. And I probably wouldn't even ask for a loaner if I still have one of my other cars. Eventually I expect to sell both the Roadster and the Prius. The Roadster as soon as I can find a buyer. The Prius maybe not until after the Model 3 has successfully made the long summer trip into Canada and back. After that I'd want a loaner or rental car. I'd love it if they opened a store & service center here in Spokane.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
I got a phone call from a woman with a phone number in Omaha, NE (I foolishly forgot to note her name or the name of the company she said she is with). She saw my ad on AutoTrader. She is a marketer and wants to sell my car for me. Basically her pitch was that she'll list the car as a reserve auction on eBay, with a starting bid of $1,000 and a reserve price of my asking price ($75K) and then (she says) if the car does not sell, she claims she can get the contact information of the highest bidder, and contact them directly. She claims a very high success rate. She would charge me $500 up front. I told her no thanks.

Thoughts?

ETA: Unlike an earlier scam contact, she clearly had read the ad and knew what car she was talking about.

I got a phone call from a woman with a phone number in Omaha, NE (I foolishly forgot to note her name or the name of the company she said she is with). She saw my ad on AutoTrader. She is a marketer and wants to sell my car for me. Basically her pitch was that she'll list the car as a reserve auction on eBay, with a starting bid of $1,000 and a reserve price of my asking price ($75K) and then (she says) if the car does not sell, she claims she can get the contact information of the highest bidder, and contact them directly. She claims a very high success rate. She would charge me $500 up front. I told her no thanks.

Thoughts?

ETA: Unlike an earlier scam contact, she clearly had read the ad and knew what car she was talking about.

Good call, on your part.

You have a $75,000 car, she wants $500 for doing nothing, or finding a seller outside of the auction, conveniently ensuring you are without any legal comeback for the fraudulent buyer. If your going to do that you may as well give her 75,500 and keep the car. Its a scam and its only slightly more elaberate than the shipping one.

• Helpful
Reactions: DeedWest
You have a $75,000 car, she wants $500 for doing nothing...

She said that in addition to writing the ad and getting premium placement for it on eBay, she would field all inquiries, and that she could arrange financing and shipping of the car. I would be paid, if the car sells, by a bank-to-bank transfer. There's no way I'd let the car be shipped before I have the payment for it, so if there is a scam, it's not to get the car from me, it's to get the $500 fee for marketing a car she cannot really find a buyer for. I told her if she was confident of finding a buyer, I'd sell her the car. I even, without thinking about it too much, said I'd sell her the car for less than my asking price. That way she could sell it for $75K and make a profit. I kind of regret that in hindsight, but then I added that for now the car is $75K, and if it doesn't sell in 6 months I'd let it go for $70K, and in another six months I'd drop it to $65K, and if it still doesn't sell I'll just keep it.

I think she would have made a real effort to sell the car, but the bottom line is that she wanted $500 up front for her services, whether the car sells or not. And because they pay eBay a higher rate to place the ads, there's no commission after the sale.

Leaving aside the email with the bad spelling, the other guy that called at least said he'd take a commission only if he sold the car.

My plans at present are to spend next winter in Maui. If after that I feel that I could live there year 'round then if the Roadster has not yet sold, I'd have to either leave it with someone to sell for me, or ship it to Maui, where I would not expect to find a buyer for it and I would keep it. Of course, I'm hoping to find a buyer before I have to drop my asking price to $65K. But, although my AutoTrader ad says no negotiation, for folks here I'd consider reasonable offers. I have a lot of travel planned before I go to Maui for the winter, but any time I'm not out of town, I'd welcome anyone who wants to come to Spokane to see it. Meanwhile it's in my garage, plugged in to the 110V outlet because the Model 3 is on the 240V outlet, and the Roadster doesn't need anything more than the trickle of 110 while it's not being driven.

Reactions: AtAge19