Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 Non-Sport Roadster 2.5 Model For Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got another call from a marketer. They all promise that they have better resources to sell the car than I would have, and that they can arrange financing for the buyer and shipping. And they don't charge a commission. (They just charge an up-front fee whether the car sells or not.) Except that this guy wouldn't answer the question, wanting instead to transfer my call to one of his sales staff, and when I started to try to suggest that he find a buyer first, and then I'd pay him a finder's fee, he hung up on me while I was talking. Didn't even have the courtesy to say "No thank you, have a nice day."

When I earlier suggested he find a buyer and then approach me, he said he could not do that until I signed up with him to market the car. In other words, he was a scammer who would take my money to "market" the car, and he'd replace my ad on AutoTrader with an ad of his own, assuming he did anything at all after taking my money. To be fair, he wasn't going to charge enough to justify actually doing anything beyond putting a note on a bulletin board somewhere.

My ad says "No solicitations," but that doesn't stop them. Still, only about one a week, so that's not bad. I think the next one who calls I'll lead with, "If you find me a buyer at my asking price I'll give you a $1,000 finder's fee."

In fact, I'll make the same offer here: If someone buys my Roadster and says "I was referred by so-and-so," I'll give that person a $1,000 finder's fee as soon as the sale is complete and the money is in my bank account.

I think that you still Love the car and it is totally understandable!! Just keep it if you have the title and enjoy the vehicle. It maybe a collectors item.
Many are waiting for the enormous number of EV's coming in the next few years from competitors, and Tesla.

I got another call from a marketer. They all promise that they have better resources to sell the car than I would have, and that they can arrange financing for the buyer and shipping. And they don't charge a commission. (They just charge an up-front fee whether the car sells or not.) Except that this guy wouldn't answer the question, wanting instead to transfer my call to one of his sales staff, and when I started to try to suggest that he find a buyer first, and then I'd pay him a finder's fee, he hung up on me while I was talking. Didn't even have the courtesy to say "No thank you, have a nice day."

When I earlier suggested he find a buyer and then approach me, he said he could not do that until I signed up with him to market the car. In other words, he was a scammer who would take my money to "market" the car, and he'd replace my ad on AutoTrader with an ad of his own, assuming he did anything at all after taking my money. To be fair, he wasn't going to charge enough to justify actually doing anything beyond putting a note on a bulletin board somewhere.

My ad says "No solicitations," but that doesn't stop them. Still, only about one a week, so that's not bad. I think the next one who calls I'll lead with, "If you find me a buyer at my asking price I'll give you a $1,000 finder's fee."

In fact, I'll make the same offer here: If someone buys my Roadster and says "I was referred by so-and-so," I'll give that person a $1,000 finder's fee as soon as the sale is complete and the money is in my bank account.

AutoTrader's finest of scams. I wouldn't give those people a second of my time.

If you'd truly like help selling the car without having to deal with it, have you looked into dealerships in your area that offer consignment?
For example, there's one close to me that asks for $1,250 to take professional photos, list, and facilitate the entire sale of the vehicle. Not bad when you think about the hassle that comes with selling a car. Just a thought!

AutoTrader's finest of scams. I wouldn't give those people a second of my time.

If you'd truly like help selling the car without having to deal with it, have you looked into dealerships in your area that offer consignment?
For example, there's one close to me that asks for $1,250 to take professional photos, list, and facilitate the entire sale of the vehicle. Not bad when you think about the hassle that comes with selling a car. Just a thought!

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been off line for two weeks while I was in Roatan to go down 2,000 feet in a tiny submarine.

H7iZBtS.jpg

bVqXoNq.jpg

I think that you still Love the car and it is totally understandable!! Just keep it if you have the title and enjoy the vehicle. It maybe a collectors item.
Many are waiting for the enormous number of EV's coming in the next few years from competitors, and Tesla.

That's a real possibility, but I'd rather sell it. For one thing, the Model 3 is so much more comfortable, and the older I get, the more that matters. And if I move to Maui, as I'm considering, shipping two cars instead of one is a hassle, and garages are rare, not to mention two-car garages, unless I get a house, which limits my choices. Next time I'm going to be in town for more than a couple of weeks, I'll try eBay again.

In case anyone is interested I have listed my Roadster on eBay again, this time as an auction with a $1,000 starting bid and a reserve price. The auction is scheduled to go live in about 8 minutes, as I am writing this. That's at 5:00 p.m. PDT. Now's your chance to bid on this car. I'd like to sell it before I leave for my summer hiking trip in just over a month.

Well, the eBay auction ended and the car did not sell. The high bid was $50K, which I think is low. I'd be interested in people's opinions. Am I asking too much? The car is still for sale and I'll consider any reasonable offers. I'm not in a tremendous hurry to sell it. I don't need two electric cars, and I'd like to get my garage space back. So, I'm serious about wanting to sell it but not desperate.

I'll put this out on twitter, if you'd like.

Hi Bonnie. Yes, certainly, put it on Twitter. I'm not on Twitter myself. Whenever somebody posts a screen shot of a Twitter stream it makes my head hurt trying to figure out what's actually going on :eek:.

I guess now that the auction is over I don't mind saying that my reserve price was $60K. The top bid was $50K. So I'll use this post to announce that my price is now $60K. Buyer is responsible for picking up the car in zip code 99037. The car is available here for viewing by appointment. I'm traveling a lot this summer so dates are limited for viewing or pick up. The money must clear my bank before the car can be picked up, or we can use an escrow service at a bank here in Spokane.

Hi Bonnie. Yes, certainly, put it on Twitter. I'm not on Twitter myself. Whenever somebody posts a screen shot of a Twitter stream it makes my head hurt trying to figure out what's actually going on :eek:.

I guess now that the auction is over I don't mind saying that my reserve price was $60K. The top bid was $50K. So I'll use this post to announce that my price is now $60K. Buyer is responsible for picking up the car in zip code 99037. The car is available here for viewing by appointment. I'm traveling a lot this summer so dates are limited for viewing or pick up. The money must clear my bank before the car can be picked up, or we can use an escrow service at a bank here in Spokane.

Here you go: Bonnie Norman on Twitter. Hopefully this will help, since I'm pretty well-connected to Tesla enthusiasts over there. Good luck!

Reactions: dhrivnak
Thanks, @bonnie. I appreciate it.

If you’re not in a rush I’d hold onto it. $60k is VERY reasonable IMHO but I guess the market is what it is right now?

I'm not in a rush. I'm very seriously considering moving to Maui in a year, so I'd like to sell it before then, but if I can't get $60K for it I might just ship it over there and keep it. With the mesh top it would be a very nice car for Maui. I think $60K is the line between driving it in Maui or letting someone else enjoy the car now.

Thanks, @bonnie. I appreciate it.

I'm not in a rush. I'm very seriously considering moving to Maui in a year, so I'd like to sell it before then, but if I can't get $60K for it I might just ship it over there and keep it. With the mesh top it would be a very nice car for Maui. I think $60K is the line between driving it in Maui or letting someone else enjoy the car now.

@daniel, I'm giving you a free bump because I am considering buying a condo on the Big Island next year and am considering selling my Roadster to do so. I also simultaneously imagine how fun it would be to move the Roadster out there...

Good luck!

Reactions: AtAge19
Thanks for the bump, folks.

@shrink, Yeah, driving the Roadster in Hawai'i would be nice. And if I wind up getting a place with a two-car garage I might even consider taking it there. But I expect lots of visitors there and I'll need a car with more than two seats. I also might need to be able to transport a kayak or an OC1.