Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here, I am looking at a 2010 Roadster with 2119 miles on it. Vin 5YJRE1A16A1001126.
Since I know nothing about these cars I would appreciate any guidance, advice, or any info before I purchase this or another Roadster. Would this be a 2.0 or a 2.5?
Is anyone familiar with this particular car. It was first registered in NY.
Thanks
Rich

@onras/Rich - welcome to TMC! There are lots of great members here (particularly on the Roadster board!) who are always ready to help out as evidenced by @Msjulie's comment above. Bottom line, save yourself the grief and avoid #1126 as it's a sophisticated scam.

Seeing as I was in your position not that long ago, here's some compulsory reading before you take the plunge. These aren't necessarily the only threads available on the respective subjects but they're the most informative and entertaining from my brief but copious learnings from the folks on this amazing board. Enjoy!

Roadster History North America (started by @TEG)
The definitive spotters guide/Wiki by TMC's resident Roadster VIN historian and geo-spotting savant, TEG. Read this multiple times and commit its contents to memory. It's also pinned as a Sticky Thread in the Roadster forum if you ever need to refer back to it.

Battery health: What is the ideal CAC ? (started by @Bifff67)
CAC = Calculated Amp-Hour Capacity. Familiarize yourself with the mysteries and majesty of this oft misunderstood value and it's importance before you proceed with any potential purchase. It also covers techniques to retrieve and review the data once you have it.

Roadster battery (ESS) (started by @doug)
ESS = Energy Storage System b.k.a. the battery: your second course on the acronym soup menu. Diagrams and technical drawings for the visual learners out there sprinkled with some detailed discussion between engineers to help channel your inner nerd.

How does a roadster drive (started by @Nototrader)
Subjectivity abounds in this thread as the Roadster is measured against its younger siblings: the MS and MX. The Roadster is not for everyone as you'll see when you read through the various impressions. What makes it particularly interesting are the comments from the trifecta owners of all three vehicles who compare and contrast the pros and cons.

Roadster Videos (started by @Roadster)
A compilation of YouTube videos featuring our beloved Roadster. There are certainly many more out there but these were specifically curated for their substance and educational value.

Today's Roadster Orphan (started by @Roadster)
A running list of any Roadster that comes up for sale to help buyers gauge the market and track the resale climate. FWIW, if you're in the market for a 2010 Base, this one below has your name written all over it!
2010 Tesla Roadster
VIN: #630 (US)
Mileage: 32,919
Price: $53,987 USD
For sale at WestGate Preowned in Raleigh, NC and discussed here.

Last edited:
Adding a couple more that I just discovered myself today:

Living with a Tesla Roadster (started by @mpt)
Unabashed impressions from various early Roadster owners. Unlike the other threads above, some posts state legitimate downsides of owning one of these cars.

Owning the Tesla Roadster 2.5 (by @cinergi)
An amazingly thorough blog post that covers the gamut of questions and concerns anyone interested in knowing what it's like to actually own, enjoy and maintain a Roadster (particularly in a cold climate) should be aware of.

@onras/Rich - welcome to TMC! There are lots of great members here (particularly on the Roadster board!) who are always ready to help out as evidenced by @Msjulie's comment above. Bottom line, save yourself the grief and avoid #1126 as it's a sophisticated scam.

Seeing as I was in your position not that long ago, here's some compulsory reading before you take the plunge. These aren't necessarily the only threads available on the respective subjects but they're the most informative and entertaining from my brief but copious learnings from the folks on this amazing board. Enjoy!

The definitive spotters guide/Wiki by TMC's resident Roadster VIN historian and geo-spotting savant, TEG. Read this multiple times and commit its contents to memory. It's also pinned as a Sticky Thread in the Roadster forum if you ever need to refer back to it.

CAC = Calculated Amp-Hour Capacity. Familiarize yourself with the mysteries and majesty of this oft misunderstood value and it's importance before you proceed with any potential purchase. It also covers techniques to retrieve and review the data once you have it.

ESS = Energy Storage System b.k.a. the battery: your second course on the acronym soup menu. Diagrams and technical drawings for the visual learners out there sprinkled with some detailed discussion between engineers to help channel your inner nerd.

Subjectivity abounds in this thread as the Roadster is measured against its younger siblings: the MS and MX. The Roadster is not for everyone as you'll see when you read through the various impressions. What makes it particularly interesting are the comments from the trifecta owners of all three vehicles who compare and contrast the pros and cons.

A compilation of YouTube videos featuring our beloved Roadster. There are certainly many more out there but these were specifically curated for their substance and educational value.

A running list of any Roadster that comes up for sale to help buyers gauge the market and track the resale climate. FWIW, if you're in the market for a 2010 Base, this one below has your name written all over it!

Roadster, thanks for the info, a lot to take in, but extremely interesting and informative. Still reading...
Rich