Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 Roadster 2.0 VIN 869 (2.5 Dashboard) Fusion Red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I love this car, I'm in line for a Model 3 and may be buying an airplane in the next few months, so the wallet could use a bit of a break. :) I am the third owner of this car, and have owned it for almost a year and a half. It's been problem free and drives amazingly well.

As with any roadster, this one has a bit of a history. It was originally offered as a prize on The Price is Right gameshow, but nobody won it. So Tesla took it back and leased it to the first owner, then it was purchased by the second owner who I bought it from. As far as I can tell, they both took great care of the car, as have I.

The car only had a few options installed at the factory: solar guard windshield, paint armor, and the electronics group. The previous owners also purchased the color-matched hard top ($3,200), a car cover ($350), 240V Universal Mobile Connector "UMC" ($1,500), and the CAN JR J1772 adapter ($700). The UMCs are known to go bad over time, and this one was replaced just a month or so before I bought the car, so it should be quite reliable. Also, the stock soft top is included as well and it has only been used about twice during the entire life of the car.

I also did a few upgrades to the car after purchasing it:
  • First and foremost I couldn't stand the single-DIN stereo/GPS, so I upgraded the dashboard to the Roadster 2.5 version with the double-DIN sized stereo opening. Tesla used to offer this conversion as a service, but stopped doing so quite awhile ago. I was however able to purchase all of the parts from them, and do my own labor. So the entire conversion was done using official Tesla parts, and nothing was fabricated aside from trimming the dash pad to make the new HVAC vents fit. My contacts at Tesla told me that it's very likely that I purchased the last set of these parts in existence.
  • In the new dashboard I installed a Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX head unit, which has pretty much every bell and whistle known to man, including XM Radio, HD Radio, GPS Navigation, Rear View Camera (which I installed), Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, Bluetooth, USB and HDMI inputs, and the list goes on and on. Check out the Pioneer web site if you want to dig into specifics, but it's an awesome head unit.
  • Installed Carbotech AX6 brake pads to make this car actually stop when you press on the brake pedal.
  • Installed rubber brake buffers to eliminate brake pad rattle (which is super annoying and you really don't want any, because it'll make you want to shoot yourself)
  • Upgraded the front wheel well liners from the older plastic style to the newer fabric style. This reduces road noise noticeably.
  • I just installed brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on the rear, not more than 200 miles ago. I only got 3,500 miles out of the stock AD07 tires during "easy" driving. These PSS tires should last much longer, yet seem to grip just as well, and are MUCH quieter.
  • Converted front headlights to HID with a plug and play kit. It's not the official Tesla conversion which costs thousands of dollars, but it's still light years better than the stock halogen headlights. If you want, you could remove this kit in 15 minutes or so.
  • Installed an OVMS module so you can monitor and control the car's systems from anywhere using your mobile phone.
  • Upgraded front turn signals, interior dome light, trunk light, and license plate lights with LED replacements.
Currently the battery charges to 169-174 ideal miles in the standard charge mode, after letting it balance the pack for awhile. In range mode it will charge to 222 ideal miles. As I type this, OVMS is telling me that the current CAC is 145.18. The ESS and PEM were replaced early in the car's life, and have been problem-free since then. Current mileage is ~24,000 miles.

Condition wise the car looks amazing from arms length, but like any car that's six years and 24,000 miles old it does have some small blemishes. Almost all of these cars end up with peeling headlights as well, and the previous owner replaced the passenger side headlight right before I bought it. So that headlight looks like new, but now my driver side headlight is peeling. I do have a spare driver side headlight housing that I did a DIY restoration on, and I'll include that with the sale. The interior could pass as being brand new, and there are no tears or abnormal wear on the seats or carpet.

I'm asking $80,000 for the car, and I will add more photos very soon. It's pollen season here right now, so I'm not super excited about washing the car for photos, and then having it turn yellow as soon as I pull it into the driveway. :) Expect more photos in a week or so.

Please feel free to message me with any questions, and I'm happy to supply logs and service records to anyone who is seriously interested in the car.

Flr5VqM.jpg

dr19rnv.png

Tough crowd! If you're looking for a roadster, we should chat. :)

I'm in the market, but as a 19 year old who is self employed through flying Drones, I can't pay for it all upfront. I have a payment down on a Model 3, but I will take it out if I can find a Model S or Roadster before I have to go in and configure.
I'd like to work with someone who would be willing to stand by me through the process, and not just take the money and leave and that's it.
I'm interested, and I'd love to be in contact further. You can e-mail me at: [email protected] anytime and I always respond within 2 hours depending on whether or not I'm flying.

I'm out there every summer for my family OBX trip and sometimes fly into that airport. :) I'll send you a private message when I return from my business trip tonight to start a conversation. Seems like most roadsters are available are in TX or CA so I wrapping up the details to a trip to Dallas soon. I'll be in OH next week for business and see one available in that area. I'm convinced a roadster will be in my new garage this summer. :) I'll check in with you tonight...