Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 Roadster 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The good news, at least for Roadster sellers I guess, is that the first person to actually look at the car bought it the same day. (Although it did take 3 weeks before somebody looked at it). And within an hour I got a solid offer from somebody else that hadn't even seen it. And also within that same hour, bidding by two people drove up on my Ebay auction notably...not up to the sales price (and still down where I'd rather have traded it in), but closer than I expected with a week left on the auction. I probably could have done better if I hadn't been under so much pressure to ensure it wasn't just sitting on our driveway after my new Model S arrives. With both buyers and sellers being rare, the Roadster market moves slowly, so sellers in a hurry may be disappointed.

The buyer intends to keep it for a long time, and it will be replacing a very thirsty SUV. He agreed to pay up front and wait for payment to clear before taking possession. He is also letting me continue to drive it until my new car arrives (which should be next week...then again, it should have been last week). So I got great terms even if not the greatest price.

Reactions: ModelX and ohmman
The good news, at least for Roadster sellers I guess, is that the first person to actually look at the car bought it the same day. (Although it did take 3 weeks before somebody looked at it). And within an hour I got a solid offer from somebody else that hadn't even seen it. And also within that same hour, bidding by two people drove up on my Ebay auction notably...not up to the sales price (and still down where I'd rather have traded it in), but closer than I expected with a week left on the auction. I probably could have done better if I hadn't been under so much pressure to ensure it wasn't just sitting on our driveway after my new Model S arrives. With both buyers and sellers being rare, the Roadster market moves slowly, so sellers in a hurry may be disappointed.

The buyer intends to keep it for a long time, and it will be replacing a very thirsty SUV. He agreed to pay up front and wait for payment to clear before taking possession. He is also letting me continue to drive it until my new car arrives (which should be next week...then again, it should have been last week). So I got great terms even if not the greatest price.

Is the buyer currently living in the Seattle area?

@Martin,
TM are so full of BS... I shipped my US roadster sport to Europe when relocating for a new job. I that had driven for several years in the US and despite what TM told me beforehand, there are no problems charging a US roadster in Europe. You just need to buy the adapters (32/16A-CCE, type 2-meenekes or just a normal 220 household output) and they ALL fit and work fine on my old US UMC cable. The adaptors are still in stock around TM Europe. In case they wont sell them to you, there are several aftermarket options.

The warranty goes and yes you have to install the European version of the rear tail light housing (20 min) that you can buy from TM. Besides that no problems, I have driven 15000 euro km so far..

PM me if you want tips/contact info for the best and fastest shipping, for the sake of the battery (NYC-bremerhaven).

Hi Martin,

I used the roll on/off service of K international, NYC-Bremerhaven http://www.kinternational.com/

(contact Julia Sirkis). Shipping by container requires 30-40 days of port clearance (with the car in a container not being plugged in) in both departure/arrival ports in addition to 30-60 days of transport. That was to long for my nerves in regard to bricking of the battery as it de-charges with 3-6 miles/day.

Roll on/off requires 5 days in the port for clearance (K international even had the dock works to do a full range charge just before rolling it onto the ship). It takes 14-21 days to Bremerhaven and requires only a few days for unloading. So altogether 30-40 days and my car still had 160 miles left.

The price was approx. 1400 $ and an additional 1200$ for an all risk insurance in case the car would get a scratch (not really needed as they are used to handle nice cars).

In Germany Cross Trans http://www.cross-trans.de/de/index.php (contact Galina Bauer) handled the flat bed transport (500 euros, you can also pick it up there yourself) and I guess they can also handle German import/sales tax handling. I didn’t pay those taxes as I had lived for a number of years in the states and could bring the car in as a personal good.

Good luck

I have taken my last Roadster ride. Here it is, washed and ready for the new owner:

IMG_20160912_165509.jpg

I get my new Model S tomorrow morning, and the new owner will pick up the Roadster on Thursday.

I get my new Model S tomorrow morning, and the new owner will pick up the Roadster on Thursday.

If you'd like, I can be present on Thursday to meet the new owner. Maybe he's interested in meeting other Roadster owners. Just a thought.

You know, for a price, I'm sure that you can get your new Model S repainted in that same Brilliant Yellow color... :)

Reactions: ChadS and Ciaopec
Buyer took it away this morning. DaveD was there to help get him oriented - thanks, Dave.

Buyer and his father also got a ride in the P90DL.

Now I'm looking for a way to let Tesla know I sold it and remove the car from my "My Tesla" dashboard. Is there a way to do that online?

Reactions: DaveD
Now I'm looking for a way to let Tesla know I sold it and remove the car from my "My Tesla" dashboard.

I just emailed [email protected] and they took care of it right away. Well, they said they took care of it - it still shows up under My Tesla, but I assume some batch program will run tonight and update it.

The buyer texted and said he made it over the border with no problems (although he had hit a couple of small bumps getting the paperwork in place beforehand). He left my place with about 366km, drove at least 214km to get to his house, and arrived with 140km left in the cells - pretty good to get almost exactly rated miles on your first drive (mostly on a 70mph road). He had wired up a 14-50 outlet at his house and is successfully charging at 40A.

His electric supply is 90% hydro, and he's excited about not having to stop to buy gas anymore (understandable given the large V8 SUV he was driving). He's a nice guy and I hope the car serves him as well as it did me.