TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2010 Roadster for $57k - a scam or not?

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by Trnsl8r, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r S85 since 12/8/12, X90 since 12/20/16

#1 Trnsl8r, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012
  2. jory

jory Member

skeptical...

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I think there have been some (probably bogus) "copycat listings" on cars.com before.

The picture on that listing looks like the same car as on eBay here:
    Tesla Tesla | eBay

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

@TEG

I've seen this picture before on TMC somewhere, but can't find it. IIRC there was a conversation about how it it looked small due to the camera angle?

[​IMG]

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#5 TEG, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  6. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

7. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r S85 since 12/8/12, X90 since 12/20/16

I had that feeling of "when something sounds too good to be true"...

TEG rules.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Note, as far as I can tell, private seller from Los Altos sold it through San Francisco Sports Cars consignment center.
    It started out in San Carlos (where I saw it in person), but then apparently got sold to another dealer (Jake's motorcars) in San Diego.
    I think Jake's saw an opportunity to buy it at (what they thought) was below market rate, and just turn around and "flip it" for a quick profit.

I doubt that the cars.com seller has possession of the yellow one in the picture they provided.
    There is a slight chance that they have a different Roadster, and just grabbed the SF Sports Cars picture (and edited it) to use it like a "stock photo".
    But, between the low price offer, lack of details, and the picture that appears to be of someone else's Roadster, I am highly dubious.