Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 Tesla Roadster 2.0 STOCK PURPLE #744

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View media item 92275View media item 92275
WILL CLEAN UP THIS LISTING OVER THE COMING DAYS.

I have many many pictures, that for now, I can send you in a zip file if it doesn't sell before I get them posted.

Bought the car one year ago. Because of this one's singular rarity, negotiations were really tough. Ended up paying 72.5K. Purchases since then that come with the car.

Clear hard top (fits really well, which is just luck, soft top included, of course $2,500).
Tesla cover (with the requisite breathing holes, very good cover, $350).
CanJr. (For nissan leaf etc, charging stations, J-1772, $700 (never used)).

So with approximately 10,800 miles, the car cost high 70s.

Current mileage, less than 12,500.

Current battery regular charge 182 in Los Angeles, with virtually no more use on it, 177 in a garage in Las Vegas (presumably due to the heat). I'll grab the CRC when I figure it out.

Options.
STOCK purple (lotus aubergine),. $6000
alcantra interior ($1800)
Electronics package ($3,000)
Forged wheels ($2300)
Solar Guard Windshield ($400).

REASON FOR SALE: I drove it occasionally over the year when in Los Angeles. But in Las Vegas, I see somebody pulled over (presumably for speeding) SEVERAL times a day, and honestly, I don't want the attention this car brings, and cannot really use it as intended for that same reason. I cancelled my 3.0 battery order when it was clear to me that keeping the car wouldn't make much sense.

COLOR: This is thought to be the only stock true purple roadster in the world. I spent about 100 hours (really) trying to verify it's the only one ever made. All I was able to find out was Tesla DID NOT keep a list of the custom color jobs, and I talked to at least -twenty- Tesla employees of various designations, and all I can tell you is none of them had seen another "true purple" roadster, which is why I got this one.

CONDITION: Perfect other than superficial rust on the rotor centers, which makes about zero sense, since it was always garaged. Additionally, I don't find the -radio- part of the stereo useable, due to electrical noise. Was going to get around to put an electrical noise isolator on the system $50? but never got around to it. I don't know whether other roadster radios are noisy or not, but it seems louder on electrical noise after it returned from Tesla for it's $600 service October 2015, so I suspect they moved an electrical wire next to another that's causing noise.

PRICE: Negotiable, sure, but keeping the car one year, putting 1500 miles on it, taking a nearly 10 grand hit is a lot. Is what it is. I cannot reasonably use the car where I live, so in the garage it sits. I'd rather sell to somebody who can actually get use out of it, as I have a couple other cars.

$67,500, with some room to negotiate. Yes, it's more expensive than other 2.0s, but you're not going to find another true purple roadster (though I know there are two light lilacs out there, so don't ask me). It was HARD to get this one off for (with the additions, high-ish 70s, so I'm doing a lot taking a ten grand hit for the same perfect condition.

WAY easier to reach me via [email protected] rather than here.

I love this car, I really do. Amazing one of a kind. But seeing it in the garage, not really being able to use it (it stays plugged in for battery maintenance) was just not really the game plan. :/

Thanks.

in Las Vegas, I see somebody pulled over (presumably for speeding) SEVERAL times a day, and honestly, I don't want the attention this car brings, and cannot really use it as intended for that same reason.
Interesting color, for sure. My understanding is that your reason for selling is because you routinely drive so far over the speed limit that you will be more likely to get ticketed in this Roadster since it is visually more noticeable than a more ordinary car. Is that correct? So you don't drive it, you drive a more visually understated vehicle.

And yes, you can only edit posts on TMC for a short period of time after they are posted. You are not imagining things.

Not exactly as to the reason for selling. No, I don't drive my carbon fiber on aluminum frame body, no side air bags car here, or anywhere else, like a madman, LOL (i.e., driving "so far over the speed limit"). I haven't even been even pulled over for decades for any reason, let alone have a ticket in maybe 3(?) decades. Seems to me, however, traffic tickets must be a prime source of revenue production in this County from the extremely high number of cars I see pulled over here every day. Out of a dozen cars driving exactly the same way, here, I get a unshakable bad feeling the purple car would lose the "I choose you" attention lottery every single time, versus my other two "nothing to look at" cars. :) That's a lottery 'd rather not "win." :)

Truth is I don't like attention for what I drive, period. I had talked to a silver roadster owner and a blue roadster owner before buying this one. They both said the attention their cars get is not much higher than "regular cars." That's just not been my experience with the purple one. At all. For instance, I've driven maybe 100 miles in the roadster in the four months that I've been in Clark County, and even in that small amount of time on the road, I've already people literally screaming to get my attention to race (no thanks) when I was just putzing along at the speed of traffic. Worse, last time I drove it, somebody followed me all the way home into my gated community, and once it became abundantly clear that they "wanted to say hi" once I arrived at my house (no thanks), I had to go back out and drive a while to not have an uninvited guest at my house when I got out of my car.

So I don't know about your bright orange one, and the guys with the silver and blue could only speak from their own experience (obviously ;) ) but in my experience, all I have to go by, if somebody is looking to buy a car that doesn't garner attention across the board ... then this exact purple car would not be the one to buy. :)

As to board operation, thanks.

best,

sterling

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it and GSP
The main reason I bought this car is because it's purple, and thought to be one of a kind. I really LOVE true purple. Heck. Even my *toaster* is purple in THIS shade, since I'm highly particular about purple shades I like. Sorry, but taking what's thought to be the only "true purple" roadster in the world, cost an extra six grand AND having a connection (presumably Franz) at Tesla to get this done, and hiding that, as opposed to letting somebody else who loves it have it, makes about as much sense as spending a couple grand to have a hot wife or GF dress like a homely lumberjack so she won't get attention.

I already have a car in a low key color. It's a completely boring camry v6 in -silver-. Boring, boring boring. Goes from point A to point B what little I drive in this new home, at the speed i drive (speed of traffic) just great. Living where I do now? Works for me just fine, and doesn't require an extra space in my 3 car garage so my fiance has to park her car in the vegas sun, outside the garage. I've thought this through. Really, I have. I do not take this decision lightly. I'm not looking for solutions to keep a car I don't use by hiding how cool it looks and spending money to turn the number of purple tesla roadsters in the world to zero. Rather, I posted in the sales thread to sell a car for $67,500 or consider reasonable offers. With the utmost respect to a well-known forum member, it appears to me you obviously do not want another roadster. Perhaps somebody else who thinks this is a cool car in its original state and original "one-off" color does. :) Thanks in advance for your understanding.

More pictures to come. 110v charger cable and 220v charger cable included.

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby
Just sent a nice person from the board who asked about 40(?) pics in a zip file. Work is crazy busy, and though I intend to post those pictures here as well, it might take a few days. I'm a really awful photographer, but I'd be happy to grab any pic you want that I don't currently have. :) Thanks.

Just curious where the car lived before you purchased it a year ago. I'm told there was one in that color in Austin up until last year.

This is that exact car. :) I had it brought in from there in closed Transport. If you look carefully at the right side of the windshield of my icon pic, you'll see the obnoxious texas window registration that took like two hours and some peanut butter to get off due to Texas apparently using crazy glue on that window stickers. ;)

I have his name somewhere, but the original owner passed on talking to me. IIRC, original owner before me was a NY guy moved to Texas. Then I guess didn't want to deal with the hassle of selling himself, so he had "Starwood" in Texas sell it, which is actually a highly respected exotic car dealership , from what I understand.

Yup, lol -- this is that exact car. Got it last year, and had it brought it in closed transport last year to California, then drove it to Vegas (250 of the 1700 or so miles i've put on it), using a Koa campground in Barstow for the charge/pitstop, which was surprisingly easy and worked great. :)

-----------------

A couple of notes, since I'm adding a response anyway and don't have to rudely overbump the post.

1) The VIN for anybody interested, is 5YJRE1A15A1000744, so the clean carfax will show the texas to California move. 5 people wrote me inquiring about it since last night, asking for the zip of the pics. Registration expires 8/8/2016, I think. Looking like somebody else will own it by then so it won't be registered in NV. This is the only place I have it up for sale at this time, and who knows, but it's looking like I won't need to put it anywhere else up for sale.

2) I've never used it, since I like the clear hard top way better than i thought I would, but i have a nice unused padded stock Tesla hard top case ($250) that comes with the car.

Just a thought -- if you're thinking of taking a $10k hit on selling the car -- if you keep it and drive it, that sure would pay for a lot of speeding tickets and insurance surcharges!

I sure wish I had garage space for this beauty.

Hi again, Hank. thanks. Truth is, I haven't driven a visual attention-grabbing car for many years, and I forgot to the degree that I really truly don't like it, personally. Plus, i had talked to blue and silver roadster owners, and they said "nobody really cares," so I relied on that. All i can guess for why it's the opposite on this car is the color why my experience has been different than theirs on attention it attracts. :/

I'm absolutely positive there are people who actually enjoy that many times you come back to the car, there often will be one or more nice people you can spend time answering the usual questions for who have been patiently waiting by the car "to talk to the owner" ... but I forgot since the last visually interesting car just how old "attention for what you drive" gets for me, personally. One of the inquiries I got today was from a local guy who wants to come see it (sure, of course), so clearly he doesn't feel the same way I do about getting attention for what you drive, good, or bad, even in the "exact"
same city. :)

I don't need another car now and won't be buying a replacement. In fact, I will be glad to have a space in my three car garage for my finance's newer SUV out of the hot Vegas sun once my purple baby is with somebody else, something else I did not see coming when I bought the car. But when I -do- get another car, I'm positive it won't be a car where people swerve all over the road, hanging a cell phone camera out of their windows to get pictures of it. I know there are people who like that kind of thing (LOL -- single guys who are dating, I presume). I just don't happen to be one of them. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Here's a bunch of pictures, as this seems easier than uploading a bunch here. Most are from starwood (good photographers, other than lack of detailing and the break rotors, car now looks -exactly- the same, as well it should, after 1700 more miles or so and the rest of time in a garage), several were done by request last night 7/13/2016 (by me, world's worst photographer, on my samsung galaxy s6). Anymore you want, it's right downstairs, I should be able to get them quickly.

Tesla by Sterling_Wolfe_Haslefthere

None of the crew of five people that started inquiring last night have dropped out yet. We'll see what happens, and who new comes along. I hate to be so cynical, but about the only thing I'm certain of is when somebody does walk the walk, I'll get letters from everybody else telling me what they were "about to do." It won't matter. I've sold a lot of very expensive guitars in my life, and been offered many tens of thousands of dollars more than I got for them "the hour after they sold, and somebody stepped up." I don't roll that way. First come, first serve.

Recognizing this was the only one in the world in this color, to get it, I acted while others were "about to" or "thinking" or "whatever." It's next owner will have to do the same.

Right now, as of 8PM PST July 13, 2016, it's available. After I hit post and check mail? Who knows, honestly.

As we all know, said the master of the obvious, and nothing really matters until the sale is complete and everybody's moved on. Further, it's a big pain to sell Teslas outside of this community.

So for the sake of getting things done, let's do this. $65,000.00. Thanks. Hope you're having a great weekend or week, depending on when you see this.

Even if a buyer puts no value on the rare color (which I do happen to really like), $65k with the low miles and stuff that comes with it sounds pretty good. I keep looking at this thread even though I already have a Roadster...

GLWS.

Reactions: cswolfe
Even if a buyer puts no value on the rare color (which I do happen to really like), $65k with the low miles and stuff that comes with it sounds pretty good. I keep looking at this thread even though I already have a Roadster...

GLWS.

Thank you, Chad. It's only been six days on a listing, but for some reason, it already feels like an eternity. Thanks so much. best, sterling

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I'm happy to buy the hardtop storage bag for my Roadster if it's available. I'm sure your car will sell as it is truly beautiful !
Best I keep it with the car and the top that needs the bag. If anything changes, however, (stranger things have happened), and I end up with it, I'll contact you to see if you would still possibly want it and we'll take it from there. :) Thanks so much.