TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2010 Tesla Roadster interior photos

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Palpatine, May 21, 2009.

1. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

#1 Palpatine, May 21, 2009
    Last edited: May 21, 2009
    Here is the first known picture of a 2010 Tesla Roadster interior.
    This one is VIN #501.

2010 Tesla Roadster VIN #501 with Executive Leather « Peak Oil Garage

(click link for details)

This one has the executive leather option. Not a customer car. This is an engineering vehicle.
    Notice the contrast stitching, the console in the center of the car, push button shifting, glove box, etc.

3552144861_7ccd5fd3cb_o_d.jpg

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Is that VIN # confirmed? They were supposed to jump from 500 to 600 (601?) when they did the 2008 to 2010 jump. If it's a VP / Marketing car maybe all the marketing cars could be 500 series cars...

Still not a double DIN

3. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

I was told it is VIN #501 and it is an engineering Roadster.

4. Vger

Vger Active Member

Sorry to see that this one still has the JVC Audio/Nav unit. I had heard they were going to replace this for 2010. Maybe not yet. Darn!

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#5 doug, May 21, 2009
    I had never heard they ever had a plan to just skip 100 VINs. However, you are right that the VPs essentially have their own VIN sequence. So probably we need some confirmation.

Nice to have a glove box. The VDS seems smaller in that location somehow. Notice also, that since it's no longer hidden in the shadows, it may be harder to read in direct sunlight. At that angle, you might even get direct sun reflections driving mid day.

What's that hatched rectangle down and left of the HVAC controls?

Double DIN can't be done with the current chassis. At least without redoing the crash testing.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#6 TEG, May 21, 2009
    Older shot for comparison:
    tesla-roadster-4.jpg

And the Sport mockup:
    3266613688_9e78480ec1_o.jpg

7. Tdave

Tdave Member

The leather border surrounding the VDS looks much too thick to be proportionally pleasing. The renderings I've previously seen is much more appealing than this. I hope this isn't final.

8. Tdave

Tdave Member

Here's the rendering of the VDS area. This is what I was expecting:

VDSrender.png

9. SuperB

SuperB Member

WOW, a glove box. THAT is a nice feature. My 2008 has no storage other than the tray. Does the AC in the 2010 work? That would be a nice upgrade too. :biggrin:

10. walk_n_wind

walk_n_wind Member

Not really a fan of replacing the lever with buttons...but otherwise, it's a more aesthetically-pleasing interior.

11. Picasso

Picasso kllkkjlk

hehe

The lever was just buttons, So it cut the shaft to save some costs? No linkage to trans or anything with the old shifter.

12. walk_n_wind

walk_n_wind Member

True, it's just my user interface preference. If you grab the lever, you are limited with what you can do with it and it guides you to your options. You can be rougher and less accurate but still obtain the desired result.

However, hunting in free space for a button is more likely to require looking down (at first, anyway). You could argue that, in time, touch guides you to the correct button without looking, but I still prefer a lever :)

13. Tdave

Tdave Member

I'm with you on that walk_n_wind. I would prefer they used a mini lever or joystick of some sort. It needs a UI that never requires looking.

Imagine if a 6-speed manual transmission had buttons laid out in a line on the center console, and you had to press the right button to switch to each gear as you drove. That would be HORRIBLE. This is loosely similar.

14. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Now thell me, how often you will need to press those buttons while driving?

Exactly.

15. walk_n_wind

walk_n_wind Member

How often do you shift from R to D? How often do you need to do it quickly?
    1. Leaving a parking spot (driveway or otherwise).
    2. K-turns
    3. Unsuccessful u-turns
    4. Reverse 180's

We all have our scenarios :)

16. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

If you are driving the same car on a daily basis, it will become second nature to know which button is where. It will just be automatic.

Within a week you will never think about it again.

17. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

Now if we only knew what they are going to replace the horrible JVC with... Guess we have to wait until the first production ones arrive.

18. Palpatine

Palpatine Banned

If it is the same JVC, I plan on doing the replacement that Dr. Ian Taras did.

19. Lancelac

Lancelac 2010 Roadster Sport #690

I didn't even bother with the stereo upgrade because I don't trust that it'll be something that suits me, no matter what they choose. ><

20. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Actually, the picture makes me more happy with the 2008 layout - it's more purposefully spartan. Of course, I was looking towards that kind of counterpoint to the 911's overdone interior. I just need to replace the knobs with something a little less cheap looking. And the stick has grown on me, though I still think I'll want to cut it down to a stubby at some point.

That new interior needs less leather, and needs to make the carbon fiber less subtle.

I also think the JVC unit gets a bad rap - all head units are going to have a radio reception problem if the antenna issue isn't fixed, and the JVC UI isn't nearly as bad as the 911's radio was. It's far more usable than what you get in a BMW or Merc! The iPod integration isn't at Alpine levels, but it's also pretty easy to stick it into 'dumb aux' mode, and that, with the Proclip adapter Steve made, is pretty sweet.