Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2011 Roadster 2.5 Sport with DC Quick Charging (CHAdeMO)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 Sport with Fast Charging capabilities! 0-60 in 3.7 seconds, go-kart "Sport" model handling, and fast ~30 min. recharging will make this the most exciting supercar you'll ever drive! In absolutely meticulous condition.

Typical Roadsters aren't compatible with Tesla's Supercharger network, which has limited the functionality, utility, and desirability of the car. But this Roadster is one of only a few that's been equipped with a CHAdeMO DC quick charge port by Quick Charge Power in San Diego, CA, enabling the car to charge to about 80% capacity in about 30 minutes.

This system, dubbed the "JdeMO" by the company, enables fast charging for convenient long distance traveling at any of the more than 10,000 CHAdeMO stations throughout the world. See CHAdeMO Association for more info on CHAdeMO charging.

Owners have often ranked the ability to fast charge as of higher value than the larger "3.0" battery pack, for the 3.0 pack costs about $30K and requires the standard, longer recharge times. With this Roadster, you can be on the road again in 30 minutes or so, thereby allowing endless driving.

This 2011 Roadster 2.5 Sport also comes equipped with Paint Armor, Solar Guard Windshield, Premium Seats, Infotainment Group with 7 inch touchscreen, GPS Navigation, Back-Up Camera, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, 7 Speaker Sound System with Subwoofer and Homelink Door Opener, Forged Aluminum Wheels for a total MSRP of $138,645.

In February this year, I had installed by Extreme Autowerks in Cerritos, CA Prestige Spectra Photosync (35% all around, 75% windshield) window tinting. This tinting is considered by many to be the best given its optics and heat rejection.

The Tesla service center informed me that this car had been prepped as a CPO last fall, but it appears that Tesla may not be offering the Roadster as a CPO anymore and thus sold it on the private market. The previous owner said that this Roadster was recently serviced by Tesla (perhaps as part of the CPO process), receiving a new 400v controller assembly, upgraded dual PEM/Motor fan assembly, upgraded rear sway bar, replaced high voltage battery assembly, Safety inspection including fluid checks, tires, brakes, suspension checked and cleaned PEM.

I bought this Roadster in February of this year. An unexpected financial situation is prompting me to list it for sale. It's absolutely stunning and in meticulous condition. IMG_20160416_183304.jpg IMG_20160416_183228.jpg IMG_20160416_183304.jpg IMG_20160416_183228.jpg IMG_20160416_183405.jpg IMG_20160416_183432.jpg IMG_20160416_183501.jpg IMG_20160416_183443.jpg IMG_20160416_183809.jpg IMG_20160416_183840.jpg IMG_20160416_184523.jpg IMG_20160416_184501.jpg
IMG_20160416_183304.jpg
IMG_20160416_183228.jpg
IMG_20160416_183405.jpg
IMG_20160416_183432.jpg
IMG_20160416_183501.jpg
IMG_20160416_183443.jpg
IMG_20160416_183809.jpg
IMG_20160416_183840.jpg
IMG_20160416_184523.jpg
IMG_20160416_184501.jpg
IMG_20160416_183304.jpg
IMG_20160416_183228.jpg
IMG_20160416_183405.jpg
IMG_20160416_183432.jpg
IMG_20160416_183501.jpg
IMG_20160416_183443.jpg
IMG_20160416_183809.jpg
IMG_20160416_183840.jpg
IMG_20160416_184523.jpg
IMG_20160416_184501.jpg
IMG_20160416_183304.jpg
IMG_20160416_183228.jpg
IMG_20160416_183405.jpg

• Love
Reactions: GSP
Hello

I'm a bit puzzled with this car...

According your pictures, the Chademo chargeport is in the trunk is that right? So you have to charge with the trunk open all the time?

Is the normal port on the driver side still functionnal, thus allowing to charge with a standard cable either ?

Will Tesla service the car with all the modifications or does this void servicing ?

I'd love to be able to fast charge though...

Kind regards

Hello

I'm a bit puzzled with this car...

According your pictures, the Chademo chargeport is in the trunk is that right? So you have to charge with the trunk open all the time?

Is the normal port on the driver side still functionnal, thus allowing to charge with a standard cable either ?

Will Tesla service the car with all the modifications or does this void servicing ?

I'd love to be able to fast charge though...

Kind regards

Yes, the Chademo charge port is above the right, rear wheel, which requires the trunk to be open during a Chademo fast charge.

I view the inconvenience of keeping the trunk open during a ~30 minute fast charge as minimal as compared to either the inconvenience of only driving ~220 miles before a standard, several hour recharge or the modification of the car's beautiful exterior to house the Chademo port. Both of those are non-starters for me.

The standard Roadster port is unmodified and the main source of charging.

Tesla has no problem servicing the car for the modification is minimal. In fact, the car has had no permanent modification other than two small holes drilled into the exterior shell of the PEM. Everything else is reversible and doesn't affect the car's normal operation. It's a beautiful solution.

Yes, the Chademo charge port is above the right, rear wheel, which requires the trunk to be open during a Chademo fast charge.

I view the inconvenience of keeping the trunk open during a ~30 minute fast charge as minimal as compared to either the inconvenience of only driving ~220 miles before a standard, several hour recharge or the modification of the car's beautiful exterior to house the Chademo port. Both of those are non-starters for me.

Tesla has no problem servicing the car for the modification is minimal. In fact, the car has had no permanent modification other than two small holes drilled into the exterior shell of the PEM. Everything else is reversible and doesn't affect the car's normal operation. It's a beautiful solution.

great solution. very cool. best wishes on the sale.

Reactions: matt_in_ca

Thanks a lot for the answer, really informative and impressive.

Did you do the modification yourself? Is there a documentation available on how to duplicate this? If Tesla doesn't mind about this kind of mod they should offer to make such a thing in their service centers.

Best regards :)

Thanks a lot for the answer, really informative and impressive.

Did you do the modification yourself? Is there a documentation available on how to duplicate this? If Tesla doesn't mind about this kind of mod they should offer to make such a thing in their service centers.

Best regards :)

As mentioned in my post, Quick Charge Power of San Diego, CA did the work. This is their proprietary technology, so you cannot legally duplicate it.

As mentioned in my post, Quick Charge Power of San Diego, CA did the work. This is their proprietary technology, so you cannot legally duplicate it.

Ooops, Sorry it seems I didn't read your post properly, my bad :(
I live really far from Californi. Too bad we cannot have this kind of thing in Europe :(

Thanks and good lluck for your sell :)

Kind regards

Ooops, Sorry it seems I didn't read your post properly, my bad :(
I live really far from Californi. Too bad we cannot have this kind of thing in Europe :(

Thanks and good lluck for your sell :)

Kind regards

Quick Charge Power is offering their "JdeMO" upgrade in Europe. Last I heard, they are taking deposits, but have not done the first upgrade in Europe yet. Here are some links with more information:

Quick Charge Power:

CHAdeMo charging for Tesla Roadster

Speak EV:

CHAdeMO for Tesla Roadster, Quick Charge Power JdeMO deposits

TMC:

JdeMO for the Roadster?

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: Rolf68
Reactions: GSP
Two points of clarification:

1) The JdeMO inlet location was positioned above the wheel well at my request. The production version default position is below the license plate on the rear. That position is available to the new owner of the vehicle. The under license plate position does not require that the trunk be open during charging.

2) Quick Charge Power is headquartered in Kennewick, WA.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Rolf68
As good as my zoom is with the pics, they appear to be the standard Halogen type or non-HIDs. The outside edges of the light, inside the housing have forward / backward lines towards the outer side of the housing. Also the parking lights are different, non-HID are round where the HIDs have molded lines on the parking light lens. I wouldn't let lights hold you back on if you want to buy a car or not. You can always have the headlights retrofitted to be HID (projectors and all) or just put in the HID bulb kit.

I don't know what the "newer Xeon lights" look like nor how to differentiate them

Looking straight down at the headlights, if you see a wide stripe of ridges running front to back at the outboard side of the black tray, you have the Tesla Xenon lamps. If you don't see the ridges, you probably have the original Halogen lamps, though it is possible that a third-party upgrade has been done.

I'll try to upload some photos when I get back home.

I wouldn't let lights hold you back on if you want to buy a car or not. You can always have the headlights retrofitted to be HID (projectors and all) or just put in the HID bulb kit.
I agree. @AndrewK if you like the car I would not worry about the headlights. Sure the original stock low beams are weak, but it's a straightforward matter -- and cheap -- to replace them with Xenons. The stock high beams are okay. You can buy the expensive Tesla HIDs are good but really not necessary.

It's a really nice looking Roadster Sport with lots of good stuff. What's not to like? :)

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and matt_in_ca