TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2012/2013 Awards?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NEWDL, Oct 26, 2012.

1. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

I saw on AutoBlog Green that the finalists for 2013 Green car of the year were announced and I was extremely disappointed to not see Model S on the list. Are we aware of any awards given or potential awards in the works?

2. Tempus

Tempus Member

The only thing i could think of regarding that was the following comment from the article:
    specifically, "affordable mass-market", which is something they might have had a hard time making the argument for regarding the Model S

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

There is/was that pesky problem where no one could actually drive a Model S for quite a while. That alone would probably disqualify it in these tests.

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

5. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

It's going to be a close one with the Subaru/Scion given that the latter has the requisite sex appeal and the mainstream price tag.

6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

#6 brianman, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    On a somewhat related note, it's somewhat amusing that Motor Trend already has December articles posted:
    2013 Motor Trend SUV of the Year: Mercedes-Benz GL - Motor Trend

In a nearby article:
    I couldn't find a full list of contenders on the site. Bad site design IMO.

7. gg_got_a_tesla

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Bummer. I was talking about Motor Trend though, not NACTOY. Are they the same thing?

Also, there's still the issue that a competent content provider should be making what I was searching for (the full contender/nominee list) straightforward to find directly (via menus) or via search.

That's at least 2 strikes against Motor Trend in 2012 for me so far.

9. gg_got_a_tesla

Oh, you are right, NACOTY is not the same as MotorTrend's COTY. NACOTY is arguably more "prestigious" given the announcements around it during the Detroit Auto Show in January.

10. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

11. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Nice! Now someone needs to correct the user comments like the one on the picture saying you can't use the screen while driving,

12. gg_got_a_tesla

13. R3dstang66

R3dstang66 Member

Ive also read all the negativity. Its pretty unreal that so many people have a dislike for electric vehicles.

Its a great car and since tesla is a new company there are bound to be some bugs. I'm just hoping people will realize once the model S is a great car. Its one step closer to getting off oil.

14. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

15. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

They have a few nice photos, but I can't seen to get a hi-res view of them...anybody found a better link?

16. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Despite the horrendously ignorant and partisan commenters, the article is great press for Tesla. Having their name pop at, or near, the top of various car of the year awards is a ton of free advertising and validation of the company.

17. Zextraterrestrial

It is Yahoo .... I didn't realize Yahoo was still around :wink:
    lots of ignant posers

18. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

19. Teslawisher

Teslawisher Member

Still, they are a voice (unfortunately). It's such a shame for most of the folks responding to the article. True - Most people can't afford THIS car (myself included). That's not really the point. If they were to take some time to review Tesla's plan, they would see they are working their way down the price scale. Roadster = 100k+ Model S = Ranges between 57k to 100k Model X (yet to be priced, but assumptions are S-like) GenIII - This is where we get down further into the 30k range. Continue moving down from there. No one has ever claimed this (the S) to be the "everyday person's" car. What they need to see is the plan and the vision, what they have accomplished, are accomplishing now, and are movig towards in the very near future, and that is performance that rivals the best, styling that rivals the best, and range that well exceeds the current offerings.

Ahhhhh, common sense... it's a b@#$h aint it? ;)

20. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

You expect WAY too much from the everyday man :wink:. (And I use "man" in the gender-neutral sort of way).