Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S P85 Signature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have two Signatures, and just sold our third to a friend. There were a lot of upgrades, new hardware versions, etc. during the first couple of years, but Tesla took care of everything. By now they should all have been upgraded and be OK. We certainly feel no pressure to go with newer models because of any concern about the reliability of ours.

Of course, there are a lot of functions on the newer models that we don't have. That might be a a much more relevant consideration.

Reactions: gaswalla
We have two Signatures, and just sold our third to a friend. There were a lot of upgrades, new hardware versions, etc. during the first couple of years, but Tesla took care of everything. By now they should all have been upgraded and be OK. We certainly feel no pressure to go with newer models because of any concern about the reliability of ours.

Of course, there are a lot of functions on the newer models that we don't have. That might be a a much more relevant consideration.
Thanks for the info... It looks beautiful. What makes it Signature?

if a 2012 and 2013 we're equal which would you go with (same mile and feature)... I'd assume 2012 due to lower mileage thoughts... I'm super excited about the opportunity to join the Tesla family but want to ensure the hype well worth it. Thanks all

2012 and 2013 are plagued with issues. I love my 2013, but if I knew now what I knew then, I woulda waited for a 2014 or newer and just did a Volt or something for the time being. You're in warranty on that car, but not for long, and should buy the extended if available to you.

2012 and 2013 are plagued with issues. I love my 2013, but if I knew now what I knew then, I woulda waited for a 2014 or newer and just did a Volt or something for the time being. You're in warranty on that car, but not for long, and should buy the extended if available to you.

Can you help me understand what kind of issues? I don't want to end up regretting my decision. A regret would be where I'm having to shell a lot of money into after the purchase.

I had an early-2013 60 for about 18 months. It served me well; had a few little mechanical (noisy A/C, creaky hatch lid) and cosmetic niggles; Tesla made me whole every time. I didn’t have the drivetrain issues that some had.

If you could wait another year or so, would actually nudge you towards a Model 3. For the same budget, you’d get a spanking new car with the latest and greatest in Tesla tech.

Reactions: r1cw3b
search for MS changes over the years. There is very comprehensive accounting somewhere on the forum. 45k seems high to me for a 2012 with the lack of warranty being the biggest issue. I would personally never own one (or two) out of warranty based on the issues we have had with both the 2015 and 2016.

But we don't care about DU (drive unit) replacements because we all have an eight year unlimited warranty on the DU and battery pack. Tesla fixed the tire wear problem (too much camber) with a revised rear upper control link and the car should already have that revision -- if not, Tesla should install those links for you under the remaining original warranty. I know nothing about MCU failures, and have never known anyone who had that issue .. Demundus certainly had bad luck on that item, but how widespread is that particular failure? There were other items which required updates (TPMS, for example) but they should either be done already or eligible to be done.

But we don't care about DU (drive unit) replacements because we all have an eight year unlimited warranty on the DU and battery pack. Tesla fixed the tire wear problem (too much camber) with a revised rear upper control link and the car should already have that revision -- if not, Tesla should install those links for you under the remaining original warranty. I know nothing about MCU failures, and have never known anyone who had that issue .. Demundus certainly had bad luck on that item, but how widespread is that particular failure? There were other items which required updates (TPMS, for example) but they should either be done already or eligible to be done.

And door handles. And onboard chargers. And Charge port assy. lots of stuff to be honest, if they will do pro-active replacements and show you the maintenence history of those items being fixed or at least assessed.