TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2012 Model S pictures wanted

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by kuttakamina, May 15, 2015.

1. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

I was hoping to see some close ups of pictures of Model S's that have withstood the test of time and abuse of normal daily usage, and normal car washes etc. I keep reading that the paint of Model S's is water based and not good etc.
    Would love it if long term Model S owners can post pictures, or opinions/experiences.

Thanks in advance!

2. 0Q991

0Q991 Member

I'm fairly certain most auto paints are water based now...

3. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Only in California. Another reason for car and aircraft makers to build plants in the Carolinas.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

So for a few bucks Carolinians want to poison themselves with paint solvents. Wonderful! Natural selection at its best:)

5. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Paint seems fine on our S. Nothing peeling or looking weird. If you are really worried, just get a whole car wrap.

6. Owner

Owner Active Member

7. treymc7

treymc7 Member

Sorry Bruce, but not only in California. I work at the BMW plant here in South Carolina and we use a water based paint system for our vehicles. Green Manufacturing | BMW US Factory

8. deonb

deonb Active Member

Welcome to the Forum!

Are you going to be popular or unpopular at work when you drive up in a Tesla? :)

9. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I don't think the paint is prone to peeling. It's just very soft and gets swirl marks very easily.

10. treymc7

treymc7 Member

Actually, probably popular. I have a few associates that want to go for a drive when I get it.
    We have an older P85 that is owned by the plant, for testing purposes. :wink:

11. Zextraterrestrial

+1
    Mine looks great except some rear door sand nicks in front of the rear wheel. But I autocross on gravelly asphalt too

12. roblab

roblab Active Member

VIN 00064, Sept 2012, 72,000 miles, Chocolate Brown Pearl Custom Factory Paint

Mine still looks like new, drives like new. No paint issues except where we backed into a rock. Can't see it now after repair. I show the car at EV ride and drives, parades, meetings. Showed it yesterday.

Have FULL front hood ppf. I wash by hand, so no swirls, but your choice.

Home.JPG

13. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yum!

"reaching for that Hershey's bar" :)

Rob, I'd think that your car as well as ggr's Pinky are outliers though; they were painted - still with water-based paint, but... - at Chilton's in San Carlos and not on the line at the factory, right?

14. wolfpet

wolfpet Member

I've heard about all these issues and decided to protect the car with vinyl and plastidip all around. The materials cost me around $300. On top of that I spent one weekend in my garage (you put your own $$$ estimate here :biggrin: ). The car is close to 2 years old now. I realize that I'm not helping you understand the Tesla paint quality but maybe you don't have to after all :cool:

WP_20150517_002.jpg WP_20150517_005.jpg WP_20150517_006.jpg

15. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

16. wolfpet

wolfpet Member

Hahaha I wish. Speaking of the finish, one can choose from matte to "normal" gloss to unbelievably shiny materials. Not to mention the color changing "chameleon" ones and even ones that glow in the dark. The only limit is your imagination!

17. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

My 2012 Sig has only 9500 mi....better to get pics from those owners who have 40k+ miles.

18. roblab

roblab Active Member

They never told me where, but yup, the panels were trailered off somewhere, then brought back and assembled. Since the OP seemed to be concerned with survivability of water based paints, I think this is in that ball park. My paint is every bit as good as any car I have owned, and quite a bit better than some of the older types that required a clear coat or multi coat.

Then again, in CA, there is no weather, heat or cold, rain, hail, sand blowing or being kicked up from the ice. No bird droppings or tree sap. No rust even if you have a steel car. So we're not in that category.

Mostly, you gotta take care of it. If you wipe it off with a dirty rag, you will have swirls. If you send it through the car wash spinning fringe, you'll have swirls. If you hire a couple of illegal aliens to wash your car, guess what. My wife and I spray off Hersheycar and wipe gently every week. We are unjustifiably proud, and it drives so much better than when it's dirty.

And, I so much appreciate your continued approval of my color choice, from clear back before I even had it done, as I remember. It continues to be the number one comment from every person seeing it: "I LOVE your color". Tesla should pay attention here!

19. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

Rob thanks for posting the pictures. Lucky for you, in Napa Valley, weather is hardly a concern. The east coast salt does all sorts of magic on cars.
    Wolfpet - your car looks incredibly sexy. There is just no other way to put it, it looks INCREDIBLE!
    Did you put on that yourself? I wish I was that talented.

20. wolfpet

wolfpet Member

Thanks, but this doesn't require that much of a talent really. You just watch a few TouTube videos on the subject and then try it yourself. The wrap is completely reversable -- If you made a mistake just peel it and try again. There are also multiple shops that are happy to help. They charge some $$$ though. Still the investment is worth it I think.