Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey fellow signature owners :) version 3 supercharging is coming! wonder what we're actually going to wind up getting. Elon did mention that there would be an over the air update to increase the charging speed on Model S and X but I wonder if it will go all the way back to the 2012 cars? Thoughts?

As a caveat not that I really care my Signature "I think" is an awesome car, still look forward to driving it everyday. The grin has not faded but the reality is at some point she's going to become hardware limited, If not already so.

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
If you still have the original battery (A type), you haven't even been able to benefit from V2 superchargers - pretty sure V3 isn't happening either. Forgot the films that now have a D type 85 battery, there may be a chance to see 145kw charging

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
I'm getting ready to do a 5000 mile road trip this summer and as much as I am excited about the trip, I am wondering if I will grow tired of the slow charging. In fact today I actually went thru the online configurator for the first time in 3 yrs. I think our battery's cooling system is too limited to allow much faster charging.

Hey fellow signature owners :) version 3 supercharging is coming! wonder what we're actually going to wind up getting. Elon did mention that there would be an over the air update to increase the charging speed on Model S and X but I wonder if it will go all the way back to the 2012 cars? Thoughts?

As a caveat not that I really care my Signature "I think" is an awesome car, still look forward to driving it everyday. The grin has not faded but the reality is at some point she's going to become hardware limited, If not already so.

Pack was replaced in November 2016 with the then upgraded assem
If you still have the original battery (A type), you haven't even been able to benefit from V2 superchargers - pretty sure V3 isn't happening either. Forgot the films that now have a D type 85 battery, there may be a chance to see 145kw charging

Pack was replaced in November 2016 with the the upgraded "B" (I think they called it) pack. I have been able to capitalize on V2 speeds.

But it was more of a curiosity I guess for me. Like I said driving my car is still a hoot it's a keeper don't plan on getting rid of Signature 162 it's found its forever home. The only thing I'll do perhaps is add to the fleet and get an S100 for the daily driver and retire my current Model S to the garage at the house strictly for pleasure use etc.

Does anyone know what the specific limitations are on different A, B, etc... packs? I remember reading somewhere that Sig batteries were capped at 90kw. I've never seen higher than 89ish kw when I've supercharged. Is that normal?

I can routinely get 112 +/- KW at a supercharger until
Does anyone know what the specific limitations are on different A, B, etc... packs? I remember reading somewhere that Sig batteries were capped at 90kw. I've never seen higher than 89ish kw when I've supercharged. Is that normal?

I normally see 112kw to 114kw at the beginning of charge with <30% until the car begins to taper the rate. All things being optimal such as not on a paired unit with another car charging, battery pack not too hot or too cold etc.
I've got a 2012 S85. The battery pack in my car was replaced in November of 2016 how ever so it is probably a B series pack??

A packs are limited to 90kw or less.
revision B and above packs will charge at up to 120kw.
the limitation is in the battery pack itself - over the years many folks have had the original A pack changed out to another version for various reasons (many 'proactively') and can charge at 120kw.
The exact difference is unclear - most likely an issue of confidence with adequate battery protection during high rate of charge
Summary of A vs B battery issue?

has anyone gotten update 2019. 8 XX in any version yet in an older signature car? it's starting to roll out looks like a change the climate control and as I understand it even we should get dog mode?

The grin goes on! (42k of those miles are mine) will be heading up to Minnesota from Arizona next month going to put a another couple three or four thousand miles on the car. I have noticed about an eight to ten mile drop-in rated range since I've had the car most seemed to have happened all at once after I did my cross-country jaunt from here to Pennsylvania and back. extensive supercharging over several days to reduce travel time??
Still not liking V9 it's less capable overall in my opinion.
Have some long-standing maintenance issues requiring parts that just don't seem to be coming available. Panoramic roof has not worked for nearly five months Tesla claims they're going to replace it with pano roof 2.0 but that hasn't happened yet along with left rear tail lights that need to be replaced due to water intrusion and multiple LEDs out. and a few other little things. still love the car none of those are showstoppers but it would be nice to have the pano roof working again. Happy motoring fellow signature owners!
Screenshot_20190401-111839~2.png

• Love
Reactions: skhenry81
FINALLY got the latest update 2019.12.1.1 last night. It includes dogmode, and battery warm up when heading to a supercharger, not sure if the charge rate will increase at all but will hit a supercharger or two on my way to Minnesota so we'll find out in the coming weeks. Other things include additional Atari games which are pretty useless in my opinion, and bug fixes and such as most always say but at least it's nice to get something I had been stuck on 2018. 50.6 forever.

Reactions: gaswalla
@tccartier -My pano had the new V2 parts (cables and motors) replaced 3? times in one service visit and they couldn't get it to work right (motors don't sync between each side),
This is really the only thing I am really quite unhappy about with my car since I actually paid money for a (crappy) repair even though I have documented sunroof issues the entire time I had my car. My sunroof worked ok before the replacement parts, except it was always sticky which I assume caused one of the motor gears to strip so it made a horrible noise when it closed. Now the motors on each side are unsynced and apparently they (San Rafael) could not fix it without doing a complete cartridge replacement @~$6,500 .

& the tech actually claimed that auto cross was the cause of this problem!!! LOL, WTF???

One thing that's always been a curiosity to me is why I have park assist chimes option on my screen when my 2012 car has no sensors.
V9 :rolleyes:
yay, really don't like it...accidentally got upgraded this weekend. yuk

@tccartier -My pano had the new V2 parts (cables and motors) replaced 3? times in one service visit and they couldn't get it to work right (motors don't sync between each side),
This is really the only thing I am really quite unhappy about with my car since I actually paid money for a (crappy) repair even though I have documented sunroof issues the entire time I had my car. My sunroof worked ok before the replacement parts, except it was always sticky which I assume caused one of the motor gears to strip so it made a horrible noise when it closed. Now the motors on each side are unsynced and apparently they (San Rafael) could not fix it without doing a complete cartridge replacement @~$6,500 .

& the tech actually claimed that auto cross was the cause of this problem!!! LOL, WTF???

V9 :rolleyes:
yay, really don't like it...accidentally got upgraded this weekend. yuk

That's what my pano roof was doing made a terrible ratcheting sound upon closure however it did work but it was pretty obvious that the two sides were not properly synced.

Then the most recent time I tried to open it it failed to open at all fortunately I was able to get it closed and it has remained so since then can't take the chance on having it gets stuck open. I'd rather have it broken while it's closed :) still no resolution however on that or any of my other concerns. Guess I'll be going to Minnesota and back with those same concerns hopefully I can get it fixed when I get back home to Arizona.

That's what my pano roof was doing made a terrible ratcheting sound upon closure however it did work but it was pretty obvious that the two sides were not properly synced.

Then the most recent time I tried to open it it failed to open at all fortunately I was able to get it closed and it has remained so since then can't take the chance on having it gets stuck open. I'd rather have it broken while it's closed :) still no resolution however on that or any of my other concerns. Guess I'll be going to Minnesota and back with those same concerns hopefully I can get it fixed when I get back home to Arizona.

I don't have the latest software version. Mine is 218.50.6. Good luck on your trip. I will be going to Michigan/Ohio in June.

Last edited:
I don't have the latest software version. Mine is 218.50.6. Good luck on your trip. I will be going to Michigan/Ohio in June.

Thanks! I almost wish I hadn't installed that software update till after I got back from Minnesota at the end of the month. I'll be traveling to there and back over the next 3 weeks. Hopefully this new version will be glitch free ... Lol!

Tesla service says they're going to replace the entire assembly on my car the complete panel roof assembly along with all updated supporting hardware we'll see how that goes my car still has the original from 2012. They claim the fixes sunroof 2.0 in its entirety we'll see. going to check on those supercharger speeds on my upcoming trip to see if older cars actually can get any benefit from some of the superchargers that have been uncorked I'm sure I'll find some between here and there.

Oddly enough through it all I would buy this car again, there's still nothing else out there like it. It's a joy to drive everyday even with its shortcomings. not going to get rid of this car Signature number 162 has found its forever home. I've decided I'm going to keep it. I'll probably retire it somewhere at around 100,000 miles and pick up another CPO M/S 100D with the now current AP hardware etc.

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yes, I had buggy software last year and it was constantly crashing and GPS location of my car failed for my trip back to AZ. Had to use PlugShare to find chargers. Sometimes my cellphone had no service. It was a challenge some of the way, particularly Kansas. Most all other times it is a breeze. Love driving this car. My poor Harley sits there unused... Good luck with your sunroof!

Last edited: