Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine makes that noise a lot more than it used to - I sometimes go back in the garage hours after parking up and it’s still whirring

It only seems to be when the state of charge is over 80%

I think it might be the heater or the coolant pump, but I’d love to be sure
Makes sense now. Strangely the noise stopped after my battery was drained to 90%. I had forgotten about this, but I believe Telsa recommends to only fully charge the battery just before you leave for a trip. Presumably the running pump would not noticeably lower your range of a longer driving period. Thanks

Warranty ?, or if not, would you mind if I ask how much $ ?
My extended warranty has expired.

That's one of my biggest fears about this car is taking it into uncharted water completely out of all applicable warranty. I'm almost there I still have a few months of battery and drivetrain warranty remaining. After that I'm on my own. Don't know if I can even afford to have this car if I should have a major breakdown it may for all intents and purposes total the car. Don't know but I do have a maintenance fund set aside that I began putting away just for repair expense on this thing should it become necessary. I don't want to get rid of it. I'm not necessarily a fan of all of the autopilot stuff I can easily live without that. And there is only one number one. To me there is a certain attraction and/or fondness if you will of having one of the original examples and continuing to drive it as a survivor.

At some point if it were available I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 100 kilowatt pack with current battery technology if that ever becomes an option at a reasonable price, also if I were in a position where my existing battery pack was suspect and or needing replacement it would be something I would consider, assuming the car at that point was still in serviceable condition.

At least that's how I see it now who knows what's coming into pipeline that may convince me to upgrade?? from my Signature Car.

I have no plans on upgrading; especially, since it doesn't include FM radio. I use FM exclusively on my drives to/from work. I have no interest in using my phone as a source or learning to queue up podcasts in Spotify; so that's a deal breaker for me.

I hear you I'm in that camp as well living way out in flyover Arizona there are areas where there is no streaming availability so my only choice is either XM or FM. Both of which I use not sure why radio couldn't be included doesn't seem like it would be that difficult.

That said, should my original or current MCU take a dump I would have to seriously consider the upgrade at that point as opposed to putting back a first generation MCU again.

By estimates it would add about $1,000 to the cost of the upgrade. (Tuner, wiring harness, additional labor, etc.)

Yes but What I don't see is that it's not like these capabilities hadn't existed already. If they were being added to an MCU that never had them ever that would make sense but these were capabilities that had been built into the cars for years and suddenly it can't be done in a upgraded iteration of an MCU?

Yes but What I don't see is that it's not like these capabilities hadn't existed already. If they were being added to an MCU that never had them ever that would make sense but these were capabilities that had been built into the cars for years and suddenly it can't be done in a upgraded iteration of an MCU?

The MCU is perfectly capable. The tuner isn't part of the MCU. It is in a different part of the car, and the harness between the MCU and the tuner would have to be replaced as well as the tuner. (Or you could augment the harness with a new harness and deprecate the old tuner connectors on the main harness.)

LIke I said it would cost about $1,000 more. If they offered the MCU upgrade for $3,500 complete with FM/XM support, how many people would go for it vs. $2,500 without FM/XM? (AM would go away in either case because MCU2/tuner2 don't support it even in new cars.)

And just to be clear: XM support wouldn't be added if your car wasn't already capable of it pre-upgrade.

I think you are correct about the pump.
Since I first posted, the battery is down 25 miles and I drove 2.8 miles . Usually all systems shut down during a reboot but the sound persisted during my latest reboot attempt this morning. Could it be the BMS cooling pump running on low ? For me it seems to have started since the recent last 2 software updates. 1 came days after the other about a week or so ago , now version 10.2 (2020.8.1.1) Must be a software bug they were trying to fix.. What is the best way to report it ? Maybe if more people chime in, they will do something sooner rather than later.

And the answer is drum roll please...
Screenshot_20200402-113839.png

• Informative
Reactions: Zapped
Were the early MS VIN #'s sequential? So does my #01778 indicate that it was the 1,778th Model S produced, or did the signature MS's have different VIN numbering?

I'm getting ready to sell it (P85) and just curious. (For what it's worth, Venmo's offering me about $30K for it)

Were the early MS VIN #'s sequential? So does my #01778 indicate that it was the 1,778th Model S produced, or did the signature MS's have different VIN numbering?

I'm getting ready to sell it (P85) and just curious. (For what it's worth, Venmo's offering me about $30K for it)
Yes, for the most part this was the case when they were building our cars to order...

Just wanting to touch base with other signature owners out there that are still rocking the original version. VIN number S00162 here. Just went through the dreaded emmc chip failure but apparently now the fix as opposed to replacing the entire unit is replacing the daughter board with a provisioned 64 gig chip in place of the original failed unit. It was about a $450 ish repair. I opted for the LTE upgrade at the same time not sure if that was worth it or not jury is still out. and just got the latest software update 2020. 32. 3 which is supposed to have the XM upgrades whereby it moves SiriusXM to an icon in and of itself and takes it out of the radio controls. It has become a standalone app however perhaps my car's hardware could not support that because even though I have gotten the update I haven't seen the changes on the screen as other owners have. Shout out to signature owners what have you seen with these most recent updates?

Excuse any ridiculous spelling and or plain old dumb stuff I'm dictating this by voice and was too lazy to proofread it.

Reactions: gaswalla
Always interested in any news involving the original signature cars. I'm always curious as to how many are still out there in the wild serving as daily drivers. Mine still is.. about 107,000 miles now I know there are many with higher mileage but so far so good. It is still tight runs and drives very well. Has not been the maintenance headache that I had thought it would or could be, knock on wood it has been a fairly reliable car.
probably at least as good or better than any I have had.

My Tesla grin has faded a little bit. first was version 9 although that's a dead horse that really doesn't need to be beaten anymore and then again with battery / charge gate. I really didn't care for the haircut that my car received and how it has behaved since then. It is not as good a vehicle as it was. Still good, but its capabilities have been reduced charging speed and range have suffered mostly charging speed my charge times at superchargers on average have nearly doubled. The maximum sustained rates are now sub 50kw pretty much regardless of the state of charge. It's nowhere near as good of a road car as it was now it has been reduced to for all intents and purposes a transportation vehicle not to exceed its single range charge from your house unless you have a lot of time.

Always interested in any news involving the original signature cars. I'm always curious as to how many are still out there in the wild serving as daily drivers. Mine still is.. about 107,000 miles now I know there are many with higher mileage but so far so good. It is still tight runs and drives very well. Has not been the maintenance headache that I had thought it would or could be, knock on wood it has been a fairly reliable car.
probably at least as good or better than any I have had.

My Tesla grin has faded a little bit. first was version 9 although that's a dead horse that really doesn't need to be beaten anymore and then again with battery / charge gate. I really didn't care for the haircut that my car received and how it has behaved since then. It is not as good a vehicle as it was. Still good, but its capabilities have been reduced charging speed and range have suffered mostly charging speed my charge times at superchargers on average have nearly doubled. The maximum sustained rates are now sub 50kw pretty much regardless of the state of charge. It's nowhere near as good of a road car as it was now it has been reduced to for all intents and purposes a transportation vehicle not to exceed its single range charge from your house unless you have a lot of time.

My wife and I just spent a weekend in Flagstaff, AZ in Sig 588. We drove up from Phoenix and made it to the Supercharger with 19 rated miles left. Considering the elevation change from roughly 1000 ft above sea level in PHX to 7000 feet in Flag over 140 miles up the mountains, I didn’t think it was too bad for an 8-year old car. Got 82 kW at the Supercharger as well, which is pretty close to the original 90 kW rate.

A couple weeks prior, our 2020 Model 3 Performance made it from Phoenix to Flagstaff with about 90 rated miles remaining. So while we firsthand witnessed the rapid evolution in range and technology and the Model 3 was much more capable, the 2012 Sig with free supercharging and Level 2 80 amp charging still met all our needs and was a great joy to drive.

We actually Supercharged only once. We stayed at a hotel with 80 amp destination charging, which was perfect for overnight charging to 90% and more than enough for our excursions to Wupatki, Sunset Crater, and Walnut Canyon.

Getting home is all downhill so it used much less energy.

I’m allegedly on the waitlist for the Infortainment upgrade. I plan to keep Sig 588 going for the long haul.

First pic contains the drive stats from 4 miles north of downtown Phoenix to the Flagstaff supercharger. Once north of Phoenix, speed limit is 75. I was doing mostly 75-80.

Second photo is Sunset Crater.

In the 3rd photo, trip A is the drive home, but with a detour via Route 89A down Oak Creek into Sedona, then some truly awful, standstill, and crawling traffic on 1-17 for what seemed like 10-15 miles. Trip B are the stats for the entire trip, including day excursions and running around town.

4081BC6E-9BAE-4953-981F-5F3E2F43258E.jpeg
9029D22B-5C0C-4678-BC89-6A7B3D1A7D23.jpeg
0B0AD021-F536-4A50-AA75-E35C06C92E62.jpeg