Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not much new info to post ... mine's still a daily as well and love every time I get to drive it. My eMMC also failed Fall of 2019 and Tesla replaced it with a reman MCU. I do wish I hadn't purchased the LTE upgrade in Fall of '18 (when I first bought the car from Tesla), because the reman unit came with it. Service Center did compensate with a complimentary maintenance service which I can take advantage of in 2021. I have managed to get the AP1 windscreen, monocam, and rearview mirror installed; but have not yet connected them electrically. I want to have the iBooster and radar in-place before I do. Just waiting until after Tesla-used warranty expires in Nov. Looking forward to adding my VIN to the list of AP1 Sig cars.

Reactions: Sig72
Yes, join us with AP1. We just finished our retrofit

Not much new info to post ... mine's still a daily as well and love every time I get to drive it. My eMMC also failed Fall of 2019 and Tesla replaced it with a reman MCU. I do wish I hadn't purchased the LTE upgrade in Fall of '18 (when I first bought the car from Tesla), because the reman unit came with it. Service Center did compensate with a complimentary maintenance service which I can take advantage of in 2021. I have managed to get the AP1 windscreen, monocam, and rearview mirror installed; but have not yet connected them electrically. I want to have the iBooster and radar in-place before I do. Just waiting until after Tesla-used warranty expires in Nov. Looking forward to adding my VIN to the list of AP1 Sig cars.

My wife and I just spent a weekend in Flagstaff, AZ in Sig 588. We drove up from Phoenix and made it to the Supercharger with 19 rated miles left. Considering the elevation change from roughly 1000 ft above sea level in PHX to 7000 feet in Flag over 140 miles up the mountains, I didn’t think it was too bad for an 8-year old car. Got 82 kW at the Supercharger as well, which is pretty close to the original 90 kW rate.

A couple weeks prior, our 2020 Model 3 Performance made it from Phoenix to Flagstaff with about 90 rated miles remaining. So while we firsthand witnessed the rapid evolution in range and technology and the Model 3 was much more capable, the 2012 Sig with free supercharging and Level 2 80 amp charging still met all our needs and was a great joy to drive.

We actually Supercharged only once. We stayed at a hotel with 80 amp destination charging, which was perfect for overnight charging to 90% and more than enough for our excursions to Wupatki, Sunset Crater, and Walnut Canyon.

Getting home is all downhill so it used much less energy.

I’m allegedly on the waitlist for the Infortainment upgrade. I plan to keep Sig 588 going for the long haul.

First pic contains the drive stats from 4 miles north of downtown Phoenix to the Flagstaff supercharger. Once north of Phoenix, speed limit is 75. I was doing mostly 75-80.

Second photo is Sunset Crater.

In the 3rd photo, trip A is the drive home, but with a detour via Route 89A down Oak Creek into Sedona, then some truly awful, standstill, and crawling traffic on 1-17 for what seemed like 10-15 miles. Trip B are the stats for the entire trip, including day excursions and running around town.

View attachment 583139 View attachment 583140 View attachment 583141

Nice, my speeds now supercharging rarely exceed 55 to maybe 60 KW for no more than maybe five minutes my super charging speeds have been throttled considerably. My pack has been replaced as well so I have a B pack which is capable to 120kw

Traction pack cooling post batterygate update is extremely aggressive to the point where my car Will sound as if I am super charging on a hot day after a spirited drive, when I am charging at home in my garage only on 48 amps. The battery coolant pump runs pretty much constantly anytime the car is plugged in. All of this happened simultaneously accompanied by slower supercharging speeds and about a ten Mile reduction and rated range.

Aside from cost supercharging now has no real advantage for me unless it happens to be where I am I've been making use of several of the electrify America units using my chademo adapter. sometimes that is a better option depending on where I am in relation to the location of the supercharger the direction of travel where the electrify America station is etc etc. but the point being is they are just as fast and if they are handy sometimes the additional cost is worth it then traveling out of my way to reach a supercharger.

Still enjoying the drive daily and have no plans to replace this car with another one.

Reactions: GSP
For us Sigs, make sure you get all of your service recalls/notices performed; many should still be available to us post-warranty.
SB-14-30-002: Underbody shield retrofit <- protection from road debris
SB-15-15-001: Sun Visor Replacement <- replace skinny visor with something more substantial
SB-13-31-003: Front Lower Control Arm Washer Installation
SB-14-12-004: Modify Rear Arch Liners
and many more.

Reactions: gaswalla
@EV-Fixme, Is there a how to for the wiring upgrades to make AP1 (and Summon) possible. I have combed through the wiring diags for our ancient machines, but it doesn't give me the full picture of how much effort it takes to add the additional interconnects. Is this a service, due to labor costs, best suited for the skilled diy'er? Or can deep pockets pay someone to do this and do it right?

@EV-Fixme, Is there a how to for the wiring upgrades to make AP1 (and Summon) possible. I have combed through the wiring diags for our ancient machines, but it doesn't give me the full picture of how much effort it takes to add the additional interconnects. Is this a service, due to labor costs, best suited for the skilled diy'er? Or can deep pockets pay someone to do this and do it right?

Cost is extremely high. One could buy all the wiring harnesses from a new car and rip apart the car to do this. You can modify the existing harness, but be ready for the SC to deny you service or make you buy a new harness, and since they will not likely sell you a harness that your car does not qualify for you will more than likely have a brick in their lot and pretty much be out of luck. This is not something you want to do unless your ready to support the car completely yourself or have someone to do it for you.

For us Sigs, make sure you get all of your service recalls/notices performed; many should still be available to us post-warranty.
SB-14-30-002: Underbody shield retrofit <- protection from road debris
SB-15-15-001: Sun Visor Replacement <- replace skinny visor with something more substantial
SB-13-31-003: Front Lower Control Arm Washer Installation
SB-14-12-004: Modify Rear Arch Liners
and many more.

I'm going to guess a call to the service center is in order for these? How can I check if they have been done at all?

Hey all, S000925 in the house. 2012 P85 Signature with 87,866 on it. I bought the car in 2017 to lease out. Got it back in July 2019 and sold my Tacoma since I didn't drive it any longer. She's been a beaut! Had the drive-unit crap out with a high voltage fault back in Nov 2019 and got it replaced for free. Only other issue I've had since has been a dying 12v (I live in Tempe, AZ so it's hot as **** here).

Help me understand the warranty issues? The warranty I was shown from the service center had unlimited battery/drivetrain and was separate from the original 8-year warranty. I'm filled with anxiety thinking if either goes out now I've got a brick and I better start saving up some cash. Help a brother out.

Anyway, amazing, clean car. I'm assuming original battery w/ 244 max charge (265 rated originally). It has all software upgrades and isn't MCU upgradeable.

Anyway, hi everyone!

Attachments

• 20200309_131458.jpg
    20200309_131458.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 81
  • 20200309_131406.jpg
    20200309_131406.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200309_131446.jpg
    20200309_131446.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20200309_140550.jpg
    20200309_140550.jpg
    794.2 KB · Views: 69
Hey all, S000925 in the house. 2012 P85 Signature with 87,866 on it. I bought the car in 2017 to lease out. Got it back in July 2019 and sold my Tacoma since I didn't drive it any longer. She's been a beaut! Had the drive-unit crap out with a high voltage fault back in Nov 2019 and got it replaced for free. Only other issue I've had since has been a dying 12v (I live in Tempe, AZ so it's hot as **** here).

Help me understand the warranty issues? The warranty I was shown from the service center had unlimited battery/drivetrain and was separate from the original 8-year warranty. I'm filled with anxiety thinking if either goes out now I've got a brick and I better start saving up some cash. Help a brother out.

Anyway, amazing, clean car. I'm assuming original battery w/ 244 max charge (265 rated originally). It has all software upgrades and isn't MCU upgradeable.

Anyway, hi everyone!
Oh, checked my records during the lease - MCU replaced July 2018, drive unit in March 2018.

Anyway, hi everyone!
Beautiful. Looks just like mine. I am in AZ too. Just hit 100K. Love driving mine daily.

Attachments

• 82D553DA-443C-41CC-A189-1A816C95D36B.jpeg
    82D553DA-443C-41CC-A189-1A816C95D36B.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 69
The battery and drive unit warranty is "unlimited miles" for 8 years.. That time period is likely ending any day now.
The full car warranty was 4 years / 50k miles, and and extended warranty was offered at the time for an additional 4 years/50k..