Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sig 393 still running perfectly in the Bay Area. Just about 120k miles on it now. Supercharging derates to 50-60kw pretty quickly, consistent with what others have said. Original type A pack, so ~88kw max supercharge rate. I get 23x miles when I charge to 100%, but I seldom do that. 90% is typically between 205 and 211, which is more than enough for the daily drive (even pre-COVID). Only complaint is the broken sunroof. Has anyone replaced a sunroof with a fixed glass roof like what comes with a new S? I can't imagine it'd be that challenging to do...

Sig 393 still running perfectly in the Bay Area. Just about 120k miles on it now. Supercharging derates to 50-60kw pretty quickly, consistent with what others have said. Original type A pack, so ~88kw max supercharge rate. I get 23x miles when I charge to 100%, but I seldom do that. 90% is typically between 205 and 211, which is more than enough for the daily drive (even pre-COVID). Only complaint is the broken sunroof. Has anyone replaced a sunroof with a fixed glass roof like what comes with a new S? I can't imagine it'd be that challenging to do...

Actually, it should be doable... We looked into it, but not sure the demand.

I have #47 as a daily driver. I drove it 6,000 miles in 2 months. I am new to Tesla and have mixed feelings. I now know how to jump the 12v battery! I found the charge port cannot be opened with a dead 12v battery - no manual release on the Sig model.

I rely on AAA to provide roadside service. My main battery and my 12v died, then AAA took 3.5 hrs to send a truck. Then the driver didn't know how to jump the 12v. My driver door closed while I was talking to the driver - now I was completely locked out of the car. So, after having to leave the car overnight it was towed 20 miles away to an impound lot. Bottom line - AAA was not trained to tow a dead Tesla. It cost me 2 days and $400 to get the car back to my house.

Now the right-rear parking brake is engaging randomly while driving. Terrifying. Has anyone else encountered a sticky parking brake?

• Love
Reactions: tccartier
I have #47 as a daily driver. I drove it 6,000 miles in 2 months. I am new to Tesla and have mixed feelings. I now know how to jump the 12v battery! I found the charge port cannot be opened with a dead 12v battery - no manual release on the Sig model.

I rely on AAA to provide roadside service. My main battery and my 12v died, then AAA took 3.5 hrs to send a truck. Then the driver didn't know how to jump the 12v. My driver door closed while I was talking to the driver - now I was completely locked out of the car. So, after having to leave the car overnight it was towed 20 miles away to an impound lot. Bottom line - AAA was not trained to tow a dead Tesla. It cost me 2 days and $400 to get the car back to my house.

Now the right-rear parking brake is engaging randomly while driving. Terrifying. Has anyone else encountered a sticky parking brake?

In the future you can hook up a normal 12v jumper cable from another car or starter to the post behind your nose cone to get the doors and charge port open.

I had the sticking brake but not while driving. It wasn't a cheap repair but it wasn't so expensive that I remember how much I paid either.

Don't think you can get to the 12v post behind the nose cone in the early Sigs.
Yes, I was able to get to the jump posts in the nose. The problem was the tow truck driver wouldn't hook it up b/c he was trained to never 'jump' a Tesla. Since he was the only AAA driver for the night, I had to schedule a tow for the next morning. It got impounded in the meantime. AAA is horrible but what is the option? Do I have to pay hundreds every time you need assistance?

Of course, I didn't know where to jump the car. The Sigs have a few different parts and placement of the 12v battery. Try finding a training video for the 12v battery for Sigs on YouTube while I am freezing, locked-out, and dealing with an un-trained tow driver on the side of the highway.

Two days later, another tow driver finally loaded my car on dollies and brought it home - after I signed a damage waiver and paid the impound lot $300! When I got it home I put the 12v battery on a (new) charger for about an hour before there was enough juice to get the MCU to boot up. I was finally able to open the charge port and begin home charging. The next morning I took her down to the super-charger for a proper meal.

I now have purchased three new emergency items to always carry: 900 amp jump-box, jumper cables, 12v battery charger. I also carry a small air pump to keep the pressure correct during winter.

In the future you can hook up a normal 12v jumper cable from another car or starter to the post behind your nose cone to get the doors and charge port open.

I had the sticking brake but not while driving. It wasn't a cheap repair but it wasn't so expensive that I remember how much I paid either.
I think the parking brake solenoid is sticking - not disengaging completely. Out of driving 6k miles in two months, I had this happen about a dozen times. I was about to remove the wheel and check it out myself when I found out the lug nuts are weird as well. So, I bought a replacement set that came in today.

So far, these are the unique differences found in 2012 MS:
12v jump port
12v battery location
charge port w/o manual release
off-size lugnuts
?? any more I should know about?

Yes, I was able to get to the jump posts in the nose. The problem was the tow truck driver wouldn't hook it up b/c he was trained to never 'jump' a Tesla. Since he was the only AAA driver for the night, I had to schedule a tow for the next morning. It got impounded in the meantime. AAA is horrible but what is the option? Do I have to pay hundreds every time you need assistance?

Of course, I didn't know where to jump the car. The Sigs have a few different parts and placement of the 12v battery. Try finding a training video for the 12v battery for Sigs on YouTube while I am freezing, locked-out, and dealing with an un-trained tow driver on the side of the highway.

Two days later, another tow driver finally loaded my car on dollies and brought it home - after I signed a damage waiver and paid the impound lot $300! When I got it home I put the 12v battery on a (new) charger for about an hour before there was enough juice to get the MCU to boot up. I was finally able to open the charge port and begin home charging. The next morning I took her down to the super-charger for a proper meal.

I now have purchased three new emergency items to always carry: 900 amp jump-box, jumper cables, 12v battery charger. I also carry a small air pump to keep the pressure correct during winter.

Just keep in mind if you are carrying those items in the car and you have a similar failure as the one you described in your original post they too may be useless if they become locked in the vehicle. In the event of 12 volt power loss.

Just keep in mind if you are carrying those items in the car and you have a similar failure as the one you described in your original post they too may be useless if they become locked in the vehicle. In the event of 12 volt power loss.
If memory serves, the frunk can always be opened manually, even without battery or keys.
Keep the help kits in there.

If memory serves, the frunk can always be opened manually, even without battery or keys.
Keep the help kits in there.

One can yes, but then they would be subject to theft as many people also know about the manual way to be able to open the front trunk on Tesla Model S or X. I guess it's a chance one has to take, and as with any lock, door, or security of any kind generally it only keeps the honest people honest.