Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate those tips! I'll pay extra attention to the drive unit. Would that be a big enough red flag to think about returning the car? I haven't read much on this issue.

I don't plan on using this car for trips. We have 3 boys so my wife's tahoe is for trips. And I'll still have my truck as well. This car should make for a fantastic 3rd car in the household. This might be the most excited I've been about a Monday in my life!

Among other things to do would be to get a Tesla login and set up your Tesla account to get the car added to it if that hasn't happened already. That way you'll be able to ensure that you get whatever updates are applicable to the car, and that the free unlimited supercharging (perhaps not that big of a deal for your use case) that would come with that car is in order etc. I really wouldn't be too concerned about drive unit / battery pack and such most of these cars have had the drive unit replaced at least once maybe multiple times. And to a lesser degree the battery pack May likely have been replaced as well. Welcome to the world of driving a Tesla without any applicable warranties

I'll be taking delivery of a 2012 Signature P85 on Monday. SN 00078. Black and black with the red trim in the seats. It's my first tesla :)

I was looking at your car last week! My wife is getting an S (despite being a lifelong manual transmission driver) from Carvana. I was kinda trying to talk her into yours just because it's cool to have one of the first ones. She felt it was too flashy, ha ha. Those seats are pretty cool. She ended up going with a 2014 85 like mine (but dolphin gray instead of green).

Although it won't quite compare with a truck you'll be amazed at how much you can fit in the back. I know I've had 10' lumber in there with the hatch shut and even carried two bookcases in a single trip. Being able to turn on the AC (or Heat) remotely is also amazing.

I was looking at your car last week! My wife is getting an S (despite being a lifelong manual transmission driver) from Carvana. I was kinda trying to talk her into yours just because it's cool to have one of the first ones. She felt it was too flashy, ha ha. Those seats are pretty cool. She ended up going with a 2014 85 like mine (but dolphin gray instead of green).

Although it won't quite compare with a truck you'll be amazed at how much you can fit in the back. I know I've had 10' lumber in there with the hatch shut and even carried two bookcases in a single trip. Being able to turn on the AC (or Heat) remotely is also amazing.

Haha that's great!

Unfortunately Carvana just called and informed they had to send the vehicle into Tesla for repairs. They said there was "an auxiliary battery failure". That's all the rep knew about it. I'm assuming this is the 12v battery but that's just a guess? Carvana gave me the option to cancel the order or reschedule delivery for January 14th. Any thoughts? Red flag or just routine?

Haha that's great!

Unfortunately Carvana just called and informed they had to send the vehicle into Tesla for repairs. They said there was "an auxiliary battery failure". That's all the rep knew about it. I'm assuming this is the 12v battery but that's just a guess? Carvana gave me the option to cancel the order or reschedule delivery for January 14th. Any thoughts? Red flag or just routine?

Routine .... I think I'm on my second 12 volt battery definitely don't cancel the car will be worth it.

Screenshot_20201218-153322.png 2020.40.9.2 is coming to a Signature car near you!! with it you'll FINALLY get #1 the homelink button to appear in the app,
#2 the ability to vent "open" all windows from the app. #3 the ability to lock your glovebox by setting / requiring a pin code be entered on screen to open the glovebox. #4 The ability to assign priority to blue tooth connected phones selecting which device the car should look for / connect to first.

I just realized that #3 locking glovebox was not possible outside of valet mode before ... Can't imagine why I never thought about it as one who almost always kept my glovebox locked in every other veh. i've owned

Last edited:
@tccartier : And with it you loose access to one of the most sought after holy grails for MCU1 owners and modders. And if you know what I'm talking about, just know that upgrading comes at a price. Know the costs.

I haven't noticed anything missing as of yet or at least nothing that I use on a routine and/or daily basis. I don't have the skill set or the will to be able to hack my car so if it is some type of loss that's related to me having access to the car's computer I won't have to worry about that.

I saw it earlier today, but just assumed it was because I set the car on the highest setting. Didn't pay much attention to it after I left the car. I'll have to look for it tomorrow.

I think it means the suspension is not changing heights? I'll have to trouble shoot it a bit more. If that's the case, I'm really hoping it's not a major fix. Guess these cars are 8-9 years old by now and stuff like this is bound to happen.

I think it means the suspension is not changing heights? I'll have to trouble shoot it a bit more. If that's the case, I'm really hoping it's not a major fix. Guess these cars are 8-9 years old by now and stuff like this is bound to happen.

Yes that is correct it is unable to raise or lower for some reason or another.

I've not seen that one yet other than on boot up when all of the lights come on to prove out. And yes what I have seen for many years with air suspension systems is they seem to be good for around 8 to 10 years out of the gate and then the problems begin.