Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not read or heard of anyone doing an update on an early Vin such as mine aside from in this thread.

588 got the MCU 2 upgrade back in 10/2020, not long after my car was showing signs of eMMC failure. I added the FM upgrade a couple months later. The screen orientation is poor if you ever watch videos while Supercharging. Other than that, it was a much needed upgrade. Everything is just so much more responsive. Also, the backup camera was initially too dark, but they fixed that a few months ago.

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
That is it exactly the very same issue that I was having. Repeated ratcheting and stripping and binding of the cables and drive mechanism in the left a pillar. So when they offered me the option to replace the entire panoramic roof with a updated re-engineered version I thought that would be a no brainer particularly since it was under warranty at the time. The result was no better and it has since failed twice out of warranty for the same reason and the alignment is ridiculous. It does still work however but I cringe every time I open it for fear that it may not close.

In my case the technician at the Tesla store told me that the poor fitment with the new roof panels was due to the fact that signature cars were different and that panoramic roof 2.0 did not fit those the same as it did later production cars. If I had known that before I opted for the replacement I would have left the panoramic roof alone and just dealt with the drive cables and motors in the a pillar which was the source and still is the cause of the problem. Then at least I wouldn't have wound up with a hodgepodge of misaligned panels on top of my car and a gap between the panoramic roof and the rear hatch and approximately a 1/4 inch different in height between the same. It's ridiculous.View attachment 699790
O man. That’s a hugh gap. Good information. I will not change mine.

AP1 retro is amazing; so happy with the results and in a Sig car. Next is the front facia ... to upgrade to refresh look or enjoy the sig nosecone? What do you think fellow Sig'ers ... let me know what you think. All views considered.

Last edited:
How did you get AP1 on your sig? I want it for my 2013 p85
If you are handy, here's what I did ... swap vacuum brake system with newer electronic brake system, change wheel speed sensors, replace windshield with AP1 version, add forward looking camera (aka monocam), front radar, updated steering column (sccm), (optional) poke holes in both bumpers and mount all 12 parking sensors and Parking ECU module, (not optional) all the supporting wire harnesses and connectors, change vehicle configuration to enable all of the new items, redeploy software, and finally calibrate the radar and camera. If familiar with your vehicle's tear-down and wiring schematics, this takes about a weekend if you have all the parts ready to go. And since it was all torn apart, I added the heated steering wheel. Someone feel free to chime in if I missed anything.

If you are handy, here's what I did ... swap vacuum brake system with newer electronic brake system, change wheel speed sensors, replace windshield with AP1 version, add forward looking camera (aka monocam), front radar, updated steering column (sccm), (optional) poke holes in both bumpers and mount all 12 parking sensors and Parking ECU module, (not optional) all the supporting wire harnesses and connectors, change vehicle configuration to enable all of the new items, redeploy software, and finally calibrate the radar and camera. If familiar with your vehicle's tear-down and wiring schematics, this takes about a weekend if you have all the parts ready to go. And since it was all torn apart, I added the heated steering wheel. Someone feel free to chime in if I missed anything.
Wow, how much did this cost you? And where did you order all the items? And can you help me with this on my p85 🤣

AP1 retro is amazing; so happy with the results and in a Sig car. Next is the front facia ... to upgrade to refresh look or enjoy the sig nosecone? What do you think fellow Sig'ers ... let me know what you think. All views considered.
I'm going to swap the nosecone on my Sig to the newer design. Granted, I also have some very minor damage to the nosecone, so I was going to need a new bumper to make this car look factory fresh anyways..... Likely going with a T-Sportline bumper unless anyone here has a better recommendation

I generally charge my 2012 Sig. To 90% anywhere between 2 to 5 times per week. Depending on my transportation needs in any given week. But the weird thing is recently I'm getting a warning that repeated charging to a high state of charge or as the message says I believe more than you need for your daily commute is not good and it asked me if I want to reduce the charge level.

Here to fore it had only done that if I left it at 100% for a day or two or more than probably two charge cycles. Now it's giving me the same warning at 90% state of charge.

Interesting but I'm convinced that my battery is going to crap out anyway and I'm eventually going to replace it or replace the car in it's entirety. My 100% range is down to roughly 230 MI down from 260 part of which was battery gate clipping but the rest is probably just good old wearing out the battery.

I thought that interesting however that the car doesn't even want me to charge it to 90% anymore which is Tesla's recommendation.

Last edited:
Well here goes nothing hopefully I'll wind up with a usable car after this update wasn't really a fan of updating to MCU two, but since my instrument cluster crapped out and started leaking and bubbling and it needs to be replaced anyway when the upgrade is done thought I'd kill two birds with one stone I guess.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210927-073253.png
    Screenshot_20210927-073253.png
    466.3 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: TwistedGray
If you're trying to hide the fact that you own a Sig, I guess you'd want a new front fascia, but I thought it was a plus to advertise (albeit only to owners) that I had a Signature. The refresh "look" doesn't do anything for the driver other than letting him pretend his car is newer. Sigs are special.

Enjoy the upgrade!

Fingers crossed :). But I wasn't dissatisfied with the UI that I had. I didn't have any real ax to grind with my MCU1 it worked well enough in function for use in a car. I'm guessing from what I've heard that I'm going to be totally blown away by this upgrade.

The only reason why I decided to do it was because my instrument cluster was failing it had begun leaking the gooey stuff and bubbling up and so forth. And it gets replaced as a matter of course when doing the upgrade. Otherwise from the features that are included with the upgrade almost none are anything that I would use. I've never played any of the games that are in the car already. Not a gamer. From what I can tell the upgrade really offers little else in terms of function what I've been told is that it's a little snappier and quicker to respond but again I'm not sure how fast I need that interface to be in the car. I'm hoping that the instrument cluster itself is updated somewhat I was hoping that they would give us the new look but I'm not sure that's going to happen. I have never seen what the upgrade looks like when updating and older car.

Is it hard to retrofit a heated steering wheel in general? It's the only thing I'd really like to add to my 2015.

Fingers crossed :). But I wasn't dissatisfied with the UI that I had. I didn't have any real ax to grind with my MCU1 it worked well enough in function for use in a car. I'm guessing from what I've heard that I'm going to be totally blown away by this upgrade.

The only reason why I decided to do it was because my instrument cluster was failing it had begun leaking the gooey stuff and bubbling up and so forth. And it gets replaced as a matter of course when doing the upgrade. Otherwise from the features that are included with the upgrade almost none are anything that I would use. I've never played any of the games that are in the car already. Not a gamer. From what I can tell the upgrade really offers little else in terms of function what I've been told is that it's a little snappier and quicker to respond but again I'm not sure how fast I need that interface to be in the car. I'm hoping that the instrument cluster itself is updated somewhat I was hoping that they would give us the new look but I'm not sure that's going to happen. I have never seen what the upgrade looks like when updating and older car.
I have been also on the fence for a long time, probably for the same reasons.
But I must say the MCU2 snappiness is really a relief. And voice is working great too. Web browser also: I find this quite useful to open web pages of hotels/restaurants/... from the Navigation when traveling.

I also am thinking of caving in for MCU2 due to the 3G planned obsolescence in February.. Could just get the LTE radio installed instead, but at that point, the MCU upgrade gives so much more (aside from losing AM/FM radio)