Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20220422-200939~2.png

Reactions: gaswalla
  • I have a 2017 with FSD and upgraded it to MCU2 (and got AP3).. love it b/c the FSD works nice, the MCU is snappy, and the software is the same as any other MCU2 car.
  • I have a 2012 with MCU1 and didn't upgrade for a number of reasons: I had the EMMC fixed already, and got the LTE upgrade (both would be addressed with MCU2 upgrade if you haven't done so). I don't need the games or netflix from MCU2, nor the browser. I like using the radio (MCU2 upgrade results in no AM/FM unless you pay extra for FM - no AM possible). Despite all the software upgrades, there is minimal functionality that would be added to the 2012, so it's nice to have a stable firmware instead of dealing with updates and experiencing bugs bc the 2012 has unique quirks.
  • I'd recommend the MCU2 on a 2012 if you haven't fixed the EMMC, need LTE, if you have screen issues (bubbles) in the MCU or screen issues in the instrument cluster screen (known to leak, and MCU2 upgrade gets you a new IC screen), or you really want Tesla theater or the games. If none of these apply, you'll be happy without MCU2

Took good old vin162 to a Meetup at the new service location in Tucson. Many there were glad that I brought it, And of those some had never seen a Model S of that vintage and were really curious as to what the early cars were like, as well as how the upgrades have affected it over time. Turned out to be a pretty good time I had to spend a lot of Tesla time on that one lol! 🤣

Many more pictures and videos at the Tesla club of Southern Arizona on Facebook or on their website.

PXL_20220622_222143938.MP.jpg

I'm considering buying Signature Red 85, VIN 209 located in LA. It is pretty high mileage at 144k. I don't yet know the vehicle history but I'm trying to research it.

Any chance anyone here was the former owner of this car? This would be my second Signature I will have owned. I've always liked the Sig Red.

I‘m almost at 153k miles in mine. How’s the battery in 209?
Well for reference I'm at 132k miles on VIN number 162. My battery was replaced however in 2016 with a "B" pack. Range numbers are down averaging between 22 to 28 miles across the board. 100% now will only net me about 234 mi. It's weird because my 90% charge used to be 234 mi. now that is my 100% charge. Almost as if my battery has been software limited to 90% capacity which it may well have been cuz my car was also one that was subject to charge gate and all the associated battery tinkering that Tesla did via software updates.

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
Took car in to get the MCU2 upgrade and Tesla disabled Autopilot (version 1) only to have them call me to say they didn't have all the parts in yet. So now I have MCU1 with all AP1 hardware yet with no LKAS or ACC. But hey .. at least I still have hill hold (H).

Took car in to get the MCU2 upgrade and Tesla disabled Autopilot (version 1) only to have them call me to say they didn't have all the parts in yet. So now I have MCU1 with all AP1 hardware yet with no LKAS or ACC. But hey .. at least I still have hill hold (H).
I sort of understand why, that was a paid feature that you didn't pay for.

Will they offer to re-enable it if you pay for AP?

• Disagree
Reactions: SigRed12
I sort of understand why, that was a paid feature that you didn't pay for.

Will they offer to re-enable it if you pay for AP?
I "paid" for the upgrade when I bought all the parts for it and performed all the labor on it. AP1 is not a service. It's a feature which didn't even exist when the car was initially manufactured.

Here's an example that might help ... if someone upgrades their car's basic audio system then takes it to the dealer for an oil change, does the dealer have the right to pull the radio's fuse and glue the fuse box shut to prevent me from using it? Even if the manufacture offered a radio upgrade at the time of the initial sale, which in my case they didn't, they hold no rights to the vehicle or the entertainment system once it leaves the lot.

Last edited:
I "paid" for the upgrade when I bought all the parts for it and performed all the labor on it. AP1 is not a service. It's a feature which didn't even exist when the car was initially manufactured.

You paid for the parts, not the software. For the cars AP1 was available for, the car came with the AP1 hardware, but it wasn't enabled unless you paid for the software.

Here's an example that might help ... if someone upgrades their car's basic audio system then takes it to the dealer for an oil change, does the dealer have the right to pull the radio's fuse and glue the fuse box shut to prevent me from using it? Even if the manufacture offered a radio upgrade at the time of the initial sale, which in my case they didn't, they hold no rights to the vehicle or the entertainment system once it leaves the lot.

Not the same thing at all. Your example is more like if you had installed OpenPilot in your car and they disabled it. And that would be wrong of them.

You enabled a Tesla software feature, that they charge for, without paying for it, that isn't comparable at all to installing a third party system in the car.

Mcu2 is not compatible w third party AP1 installs as far as I know. Going in for a MCU2 upgrade to Tesla w self installed AP1 definitely should not be done - if it wasn’t obvious already
No offense, but you have been misinformed. Third party (DIY) AP1 vs Tesla AP1 are electrically and programmatically equivalent. There is zero (0) difference between the two when installed and configured properly. Of course this is a moot point because AP1 will only work if all of the components and software switches are correct. MCU2 does nothing but render what the AP1 MCU (build into the windshield camera), fwd radar, and ultrasonic sensors "see" in the world. The function of LKAS and ACC is done between the AP1 MCU, iBooster ECU, and EPAS ECU. The MCU variant in the car, and the gateway layer in it, are merely switches and routers of already existing information on the CAN bus.

If we want to go down the "paid for" route, all of these parts were paid for by a previous owner, including all of the firmware in it. Therefore, if someone wants to sell me their AP1 hardware and software, there is nothing in Telsa's TOC, Privacy Agreement, or any other document, which says they can restrict that sort of sale. All of it has been paid for already .. charging again is double dipping.

And as Jason pointed out in another thread, Tesla doesn't and never has offered an AP1 (service or retrofit kit) install if it did not come from the factory.

Last edited: