Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S undrivable due to parking brack won't release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leaf blower wont work... I have tried that. My system after washing is to just do a 1-2 minute drive with plenty of brake use to dry them out. My wife hates that "feature". She's convinced its not good for the car and something is going to eventually break.

Plus it forces water out of all the hidden spots so you can prevent those stupid water spots that you can't figure out where they came from.

Last edited:
Reactions: efusco
From the service rep:
Your parking brake is indeed locked up and will have to be replaced. Since both your parking brakes are an old style we will have to replace both of them. You should be looking at a little under $600 (parts and labor) to replace these and parts should be here by tomorrow.
That's not too bad. I had to replace the parking brakes on my Ford a few months ago and it was around $500. Probably would have been more if I had taken it to a dealership.

I have a 2012 p85 and about 4 months ago my wife told me the car would not drive when she put it in drive or reverse. I just thought she was doing something wrong but about 2 weeks later it did it when I was driving.

I just started putting the car in and out of drive and reverse and it would free up and drive.

The light was sayi g the same as you guys were seeing that the parking brake was not set and the car may roll.

I called the dallas service center and they told me $1,600 for parts plus whatever the labor would be. They said they needed to replace my parking brakes.

This past weekend it's done it 4 times and I just go in and out of drive and reverse and it will just work.

Do you think this is the same problem you had? I have no lights popping up when driving. The car just gets stuck when we first get in it.

So ... I have a similar problem with my parking brakes here in Denmark, Europe

Just got new gear selector in the car from SC as they where trying to fix several ghost issues in the TMS

Turned out to be a loose negative wire in the front .... read this has happened to many other DK TMS owners

After the replacement of the "gear selector" I am having several issues with parking brake warnings

Either not released or not engaged ... despite it work as it should

The same nano second I touch the gear selector to engage P-brakes it causes a warning

But if I only operate the P-brake from the touch screen in never occure ?

Anyone had the same issues ?

Was at SC and 4 other guys had the parking brake calipers replaced the very day , I refused as the want 9000,-DKK for the operation ($1420,-)

So ... I have a similar problem with my parking brakes here in Denmark, Europe

Just got new gear selector in the car from SC as they where trying to fix several ghost issues in the TMS

Turned out to be a loose negative wire in the front .... read this has happened to many other DK TMS owners

After the replacement of the "gear selector" I am having several issues with parking brake warnings

Either not released or not engaged ... despite it work as it should

The same nano second I touch the gear selector to engage P-brakes it causes a warning

But if I only operate the P-brake from the touch screen in never occure ?

Anyone had the same issues ?

Was at SC and 4 other guys had the parking brake calipers replaced the very day , I refused as the want 9000,-DKK for the operation ($1420,-)

Hello there...
How did the story end?
Did you finally get something repaired?
Was it indeed the wiring on the "gear selector" located just behind the steering wheel?