Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S..will be out of warranty in 2 months...should I sell or keep?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S P85 Black (2012) is coming up to the end of the extended warranty with 86200 miles on it...I can't renew the warranty anymore.
My only options available are to keep the car and pay out of pocket for any service & maintenance (outside drivetrain and battery as they are still under warranty)....or do get the X-Care EV protection (3rd pArty warranty) for another 100,000 miles.
I would like to hear from other owners that are in the same situation as I really like my Tesla and will hate to sell it and get another used car to replace it.
Any input or opinion if highly appreciate it...have to make a decision relatively soon before the warranty expires (in case I have to sell it for $31K).
Thanks
Mo

I’ve got a year left on my 2012 P85 warranty. Earlier this year I had Tesla run a trade quote for me. It was <30k. I decided it is worth more than that to me. The car still runs and looks like new, thanks to PPF. I’ve only had nits under extended warranty. I expect EMMC problem at some point. My biggest long term worry is air suspension. Not that there are issues... just that it is expensive to service.

I’m going to roll the dice and keep. Hoping it stays as maintenance free as it has been, hoping for more 3rd party repair options to arrive, and expecting the occasional expensive repair... offset by near zero regular maintenance.

the X-Care EV protection (3rd pArty warranty) for another 100,000 miles.

FYI: Xcare doesn’t cover the battery or drive unit in their warranty. So, you would go out of your 8 year battery and drive unit warranty sometime next year well before the X-care warranty expired. That might make me more nervous about keeping the car long term, honestly.

you still have one year left on the battery and drive unit (8 years/unlimited)
I have same car - have 250k miles on it. I have had a couple things go wrong, couple thousand in repairs max. Personally, you have an amazing car with crazy good quality. Either you keep it and enjoy it, or you sell it to someone who knows the data and makes out like a bandit

Here is the warranty dates on the both drive unit and battery:
- Battery: Expires at Unlimited Miles (Begins June 30, 2016)
- Drive Unit: Expires June 28, 2024

So does it make sense to take the Care warranty at this point?
I've had couple of door handles swapped last year, the MCU unit was changed early 2019 too..The charging piece was also swapped...

Gaswalla...I am really keen on doing what you did...and just ride it until 250K miles...do you mind chatting on the phone for few minutes if you have time?

Thanks

I’m confused as to how you’re deriving those dates.

The battery and drive unit warranty starts when the car was first sold in 2012 and expires 8 years from that date. There is no extension or reset of that date, even if they were replaced under warranty at some point.

I've had couple of door handles swapped last year, the MCU unit was changed early 2019 too..The charging piece was also swapped...

If you had not had it replaced yet, the HVAC compressor may be coming next. I think it's common failure on MS. I had mine in 2015 replaced last month under warranty. Not sure how much out of pocket. I did not ask.

My Model S P85 Black (2012) is coming up to the end of the extended warranty with 86200 miles on it...I can't renew the warranty anymore.
My only options available are to keep the car and pay out of pocket for any service & maintenance (outside drivetrain and battery as they are still under warranty)....or do get the X-Care EV protection (3rd pArty warranty) for another 100,000 miles.
I would like to hear from other owners that are in the same situation as I really like my Tesla and will hate to sell it and get another used car to replace it.
Any input or opinion if highly appreciate it...have to make a decision relatively soon before the warranty expires (in case I have to sell it for $31K).
Thanks
Mo
I would sell.

Would keep it. You might not get a lot and you know your car. Just had to drive a loaner for some time and whilst it was a P and mine is a regular Model S I didn't like it since it felt different than mine.

Upgrading to something newer will cost much more than than a few expensive repairs.

It is always cheaper to keep the car. Think about how much a new car is compared to if something went wrong. Even if something goes wrong you saved thousands. If something doesn't you saved thousands more even. Doesn't make sense

I got these dates from the service technician screen...I've had the extended warranty on my car (which expires on June 2020 or 88000 miles)...I agree with you that it looks odd that it's says unlimited but doesn't show me a date for the Drive Unit.

I’m confused as to how you’re deriving those dates.

The battery and drive unit warranty starts when the car was first sold in 2012 and expires 8 years from that date. There is no extension or reset of that date, even if they were replaced under warranty at some point.

I got these dates from the service technician screen...I've had the extended warranty on my car (which expires on June 2020 or 88000 miles)...I agree with you that it looks odd that it's says unlimited but doesn't show me a date for the Drive Unit.
That’s interesting, but were I you I wouldn’t factor any warranty for either of those items past the original 8 year post sale period, which is what the official warranty documentation specifies.

Gaswalla...I am really keen on doing what you did...and just ride it until 250K miles...do you mind chatting on the phone for few minutes if you have time?

Thanks

Was the car a service loaner, or some thing, for 4 years? Were you the original owner?

is there any particular area of the car you are worried about?

I just passed 50k (2.5 years) and I didn’t get the extended warranty. I expires too quick for the miles I put in the car.

Door handles now are a few hundred each. MCU is ~$2500. Not sure about the charge port.

Not really...I had the MCU changed in 2019. Just asking to see if it's worth keeping it...from what the responses I am reading ,it is worth just taking a chance and keeping it.

is there any particular area of the car you are worried about?

I just passed 50k (2.5 years) and I didn’t get the extended warranty. I expires too quick for the miles I put in the car.

Door handles now are a few hundred each. MCU is ~$2500. Not sure about the charge port.

I'd keep it without the warranty. I do think there are some risk areas - AC system, suspension, steering - for example. But I feel the cost of repairs would be on par with the cost of the insurance/warranty.

The battery/drivetrain is my biggest concern, but those are still covered.