Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S..will be out of warranty in 2 months...should I sell or keep?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got a year left on my 2012 P85 warranty. Earlier this year I had Tesla run a trade quote for me. It was <30k. I decided it is worth more than that to me. The car still runs and looks like new, thanks to PPF. I’ve only had nits under extended warranty. I expect EMMC problem at some point. My biggest long term worry is air suspension. Not that there are issues... just that it is expensive to service.

I’m going to roll the dice and keep. Hoping it stays as maintenance free as it has been, hoping for more 3rd party repair options to arrive, and expecting the occasional expensive repair... offset by near zero regular maintenance.

emmc repairs are here. You may want to consider preventative upgrade on that. Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

Agree...Just got off the phone with XCare EV Protection warranty....they want $4300 for a 2 years extended warranty which will covers everything but the Drive Unit and Battery....Like you said, the cost will probably be in par with the warranty after 2 years...I don't see much value on taking the extra warranty from them

I'd keep it without the warranty. I do think there are some risk areas - AC system, suspension, steering - for example. But I feel the cost of repairs would be on par with the cost of the insurance/warranty.

The battery/drivetrain is my biggest concern, but those are still covered.

Keep the car without warranty. I have a 16' MS 75D with AP2 just hit 54K miles and didn't get the ESA. So many items were replaced under warranty. Even if the MCU took a dump it would cost 1800 for a refurb or 2500 for a new one. With the $4800 esa and a 500 deductible didn't make sense to get it.

Keep the car without warranty. I have a 16' MS 75D with AP2 just hit 54K miles and didn't get the ESA. So many items were replaced under warranty. Even if the MCU took a dump it would cost 1800 for a refurb or 2500 for a new one. With the $4800 esa and a 500 deductible didn't make sense to get it.
I am leaning towards keeping it...if I sell it today, I will make out $5k in profit on the car but then I will have to worry about getting another used car (+ tax, + gas...) and for sure not the same experience as a Tesla.