Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 MS that are coming to end of their warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are you guys in US with 2012 Model S's doing/thinking about in regards to your drive unit and battery warranty expiring?

Keeping and just pay as you go or did you already trade in or sell? Are Tesla USA offering you extended warranty on it beyond 8 yrs....if there is such a thing?

Still in the searching phase, Hong Kong has limited CPO MS and zero Model 3s.

Thinking of a CPO 2016 MS with Tesla 4 yrs warranty AND remaining 4 yrs on the battery & unit, but it got me thinking about the resell valve if I keep it until 2024....zero warranty left.
Model 3 would be better but then I still run out of the 'normal 4 yr warranty' by 2024

What are you guys in US with 2012 Model S's doing/thinking about in regards to your drive unit and battery warranty expiring?

Keeping and just pay as you go or did you already trade in or sell? Are Tesla USA offering you extended warranty on it beyond 8 yrs....if there is such a thing?

Still in the searching phase, Hong Kong has limited CPO MS and zero Model 3s.

Thinking of a CPO 2016 MS with Tesla 4 yrs warranty AND remaining 4 yrs on the battery & unit, but it got me thinking about the resell valve if I keep it until 2024....zero warranty left.
Model 3 would be better but then I still run out of the 'normal 4 yr warranty' by 2024
I thought about trading in last year, but offer was very low. Car has been pretty bulletproof, so I will just keep and hope for another 8 years. I expect the EMMC bug eventually, which will cost a couple thousand. Other than that, I’m more worried about air suspension than battery or drive unit.

I thought about trading in last year, but offer was very low. Car has been pretty bulletproof, so I will just keep and hope for another 8 years. I expect the EMMC bug eventually, which will cost a couple thousand. Other than that, I’m more worried about air suspension than battery or drive unit.

air suspension seems to be very cheap to pull out of junk cars. I already see some from junked teslas. If you are really worried you can snag the next one that goes on clearance.

...Are Tesla USA offering you extended warranty on it beyond 8 yrs....

No.

... drive unit and battery warranty expiring?...

Hopefully, they don't go bad on because they are the most expensive items.

The drive unit used to cost more than $10,000 but it's quite cheaper now to about slightly less than $6,000.

The brand new battery used to cost more than $40,000 but its replacement is quite cheaper now at about $20,000.

Good to know, I'm sure it will be more expensive here to repair but guess I should only worry about that in 4 yrs time.

Since they stopped production of the 60/70/75 packs, guessing 'replacement' will be refurbished ones.
MCU1 with the yellow border are being replaced with MCU2 I heard?

...Since they stopped production of the 60/70/75 packs, guessing 'replacement' will be refurbished ones....

Most warranty works are understood as refurbished unless you want to pay extra for brand new ones.

...MCU1 with the yellow border are being replaced with MCU2 I heard?

Tesla's position on the Yellow border is: cosmetic wear and tear and not eligible for warranty work.

It is happy to do one time Ultraviolet light treatment as "goodwill" though.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
All 2016+ facelift cars are subject to the yellowing screen border.

but have you seen a facelift MCU1 with yellowing border though? I'm ready to be wrong but I thought I haven't seen them.

Maybe all S. My 2012 screen had bubbles, which is common. So I had replaced in maybe 16. Now yellowing. So even if yellowing glue started in 16, many earlier cars might have it too.

Yea my 2015 had bubbles. But I'm specifically referring to the yellowing border, which I believe to be an MCU2 problem. The bubbling screen was an MCU1 problem.

but have you seen a facelift MCU1 with yellowing border though? I'm ready to be wrong but I thought I haven't seen them.

Yea my 2015 had bubbles. But I'm specifically referring to the yellowing border, which I believe to be an MCU2 problem. The bubbling screen was an MCU1 problem.
Yellowing is an MCU1 problem with AP2.0 (I would know, I'm on my 3rd screen, getting the UV fix in a couple weeks).

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce