Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 HV battery replacement options -- need perspective.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You got me on that one...
Yeah that, here it is again:
Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 10.38.00 AM.png

So, the questions now are:
Should I feel comfortable charging to 100% and utilizing the full 272 range with the idea that I'm actually charging to 93%?
Should I push Tesla to uncork the battery, at least to 280 range, since they emphatically told me it would not be software capped?

You should usually charge to a maximum of 90%, set from the main screen, for long term battery health. You can verify whether the vehicle is software limited by creating a service appointment using the Tesla app. If it is and they want money to remove the limit, you can press for them to do this for free if it's a 90 or 100 kWh battery and you were told verbally that there would be no software limit. It's best to get these things in writing though!

Last edited:
Reactions: airsailor
Is that because he is actually busy? Or does he need that long to learn what to do?
He called me personally actually. Said it was a combination of having several model S currently in service and a lack of techs trained. He's trying to hire but traditional mechanics would need steep training and electrical engineers don't want to work in a garage shop. He also indicated their focus is on roadsters currently . Nice guy. Appreciated the honest feedback. Gruber has an interesting podcast where they discuss repair issues

My 2013 ms85 just got the service soon error and the charge dropped from 50% to 0% overnight. Assuming it's replacement time but advisor said it could be contactor. Feel lucky I snagged a loaner for what could be a long wait.

Didn't realize Gruber is on 1 year wait timeframe at this point. Electrified Garage told me that they could swap a battery but id have to source it.

@airsailor I'm leaning towards investing despite the risks as well. Bought mine at 169k for $26,000 in 2018. No issues for past 4 years. Saved thousands in gas with mostly home charging and some supercharging. With a $14-20k battery I'm only in 40k and see some selling for as much without new battery
Not sure I understand what you mean by "the charge dropped from 50% to 0% overnight". Is that what is showing on your dashboard display? I am watching closely since mine is a 2013 MS85 with 110k. Did you have any other indications of battery issues beforehand? I am newly retired, and ready to take my Tesla on long trips. After following this thread, my spouse talked me into taking the new Kia on our road trip next week instead. I have no interest in selling this car anytime soon. I would rather drive it, replace the battery when necessary and keep going.

Not sure I understand what you mean by "the charge dropped from 50% to 0% overnight". Is that what is showing on your dashboard display? I am watching closely since mine is a 2013 MS85 with 110k. Did you have any other indications of battery issues beforehand? I am newly retired, and ready to take my Tesla on long trips. After following this thread, my spouse talked me into taking the new Kia on our road trip next week instead. I have no interest in selling this car anytime soon. I would rather drive it, replace the battery when necessary and keep going.
That issue is a rare occurrence. I had over 200,000 miles on my 2013 S85, which had a max range of 200 miles at 100% after the 'Batterygate and chargegate updates'. Since my range never got restored after the update to restore it came out, Tesla replaced the battery and made me whole and happy.
Prior to the issue with the 'Batterygate", I went around the country twice in it. Went from Northern California to Washington, then on to Detroit, down to Tennessee, across through Texas and Los Angeles then back to Northern California with no issues whatsoever. Did the loop twice.

Personally, I have no issue with taking another long trip. If you are fine with the charge speed (not in a blazing hurry), I say enjoy the car and see the country! I did, and loved every minute of it. Plan to do it again this fall.

Am I still a fan of Tesla? Of course. Do they make mistakes? yes. So do I.

So the car was completely fine. Charging normally. No errors. After 220k, still had 230 miles of range at 100%. The night before, I plugged in the car at 20% and it charged to 50%. In the morning, I opened the back door to get my 3 year old in the car and heard some new beeps and saw it was at 0% despite having successfully charged overnight. It was completely unexpected. I wish it was a HV failure that led to reduced charging to 50 mi and still allowed the car to run and drive. But in my case it was totally dead.

I agree with you about just driving the car and enjoying it. I did a trip to Maine (roundtrip 900 miles) this summer. The only measure I took was only using supercharging when necessary because of the wear from heat.

That issue is a rare occurrence. I had over 200,000 miles on my 2013 S85, which had a max range of 200 miles at 100% after the 'Batterygate and chargegate updates'. Since my range never got restored after the update to restore it came out, Tesla replaced the battery and made me whole and happy.
Prior to the issue with the 'Batterygate", I went around the country twice in it. Went from Northern California to Washington, then on to Detroit, down to Tennessee, across through Texas and Los Angeles then back to Northern California with no issues whatsoever. Did the loop twice.

Personally, I have no issue with taking another long trip. If you are fine with the charge speed (not in a blazing hurry), I say enjoy the car and see the country! I did, and loved every minute of it. Plan to do it again this fall.

Am I still a fan of Tesla? Of course. Do they make mistakes? yes. So do I.
:)

Reactions: pilotSteve
How did it go?
It wasn't useful: the rep told me his role is to explain to owners what factors affect range, like cold weather, heavy foot, etc., and he advised me to request service again on the app, providing details. He said his notes would support my case and that it would go up the food chain. Did so, midday yesterday, but no response yet. I'll report back once something happens....

Wonder if the label change was done so it does not display the kw size on the label so people don't get upset that they were capped when its installed on a car less that a real 90? Kind of makes sense. People see 90 and want 90 when they actually have an 85 car.
This is correct. When I was working at Tesla and the 1014116-00-B was used in warranty replacements we would software limit that battery to match the pre-failure capacity. When they were software limited, the customer was able to see upgrade options in their account to unlock the additional capacity for set prices based on how much would be added. With the 1014116-00-C they removed the capacity marking and planned to sunset the upgrade path but I don't know if that actually happened.

With the 1014116-00-C they removed the capacity marking and planned to sunset the upgrade path but I don't know if that actually happened.

From all the 1014116-00-C packs, the OP's pack is the only instance of kWh missing on the pack's label. As for the upgrade, I know of one recipient (happened to be in Europe, if that makes any difference) who asked for it and ended up paying ~$900 to unlock from 248 to ~270 kWh.

BTW, I see no upgrade option in my account for my locked 1014116-00-C.