Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 HV battery replacement options -- need perspective.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is your car set to "Rated" or "Ideal" miles? A 2013 MS 85 would not get more than 265 rated miles even when new.
It's set to rated. I don't ever achieve the 280 but I also do not drive to maximize the miles. Currently, 88 miles = 36%

Here's a screenshot about 1.5 months ago:

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 4.36.49 PM.png

Last edited:
Sorry - it’s not “rated” miles… on your screenshot: a charging rate of 8 kw = 30 mph… that converts to ideal miles when you look at miles/kWh
Feel free to not believe me and reply to my posts. Think what you want.
Would it make you feel better if I said I got 180 at 100%? Who tf cares if the battery pack needs to be replaced.
I'm going off on what the center console tells me. End of discussion.

It would be except at 36% it's showing 88 miles rated and 101 miles ideal. That would bring the ideal miles close to 300 if the SoC can get to 100%.
Would it make everyone feel better if I took pictures of the screen so you can see for yourself?

The discussion is about replacing an affected battery pack - not about how many miles my old pack got. Just pretend like I said that my old pack got 200 miles max and leave it there.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
Actually, you brought up how many miles your old pack got which several knowledgeable posters here found it hard to believe.
Yes, to another poster. It was not to brag about the miles .. just a casual comment of what used to be.
It doesn't matter to me if the old battery got 500 miles or 200 -- if it's rated or ideal, or miles or %.
What matters is what's currently happening.
I had to switch to ideal to see what it says because I don't mess with that setting.

Maybe the old timers can use their knowledge to help others out instead of critique and nitpick (engage in fussy or pedantic fault-finding)?

Last edited:
Maybe the old timers can use their knowledge to help others

They do and I think you have received plenty of insight into what the options are, not only in this thread but also in other threads you have been reading and posting.

instead of critiquing and nit picking (engage in fussy or pedantic fault-finding)

They are just trying to be factual. You need to realize that lots of newcomers read these threads to seek factual information and the opposite would utterly be misleading to them. In all the posts I've read since 2015, every innocent claim of having a range more than the stated EPA rated range for a new car has been the case of reporting an "Ideal" range inadvertently.

All the best.

They are just trying to be factual. You need to realize that lots of newcomers read these threads to seek factual information and the opposite would utterly be misleading to them. In all the posts I've read since 2015, every innocent claim of having a range more than the stated EPA rated range for a new car has been the case of reporting an "Ideal" range inadvertently.

All the best.
Even if it was ideal miles ... so what? Is there a rule to only state rated miles? I'm getting zero value out of these discussions since it was never about the differences between rated and ideal ... unless it was brought up because someone thought it would helpful to the actual topic. Had I known it was going to get nitpicked I wouldn't have mentioned it. lol .. my bad.

@Droschke , @gaswalla, @lightningltd, @wk057, Charging update: Supercharged this morning, only car at 8-bay station, 64F, car had preconditioned battery for 12 minutes before arrival, began with 193 miles range and pulled 68 kW / 228 mi/hr. At 98% SOC pulled 32 kW / 107 mi/hr; at 99% same rate; and at end with 272 miles range it showed 30kW / 100 mi/hr. Immediately drove and had full regen of 60 kW.

From what I gather from you all, this strongly suggests that the battery has additional capacity and is software capped at approximately 93% of full capacity, if these packs typically have approx. 290 - 294 miles range for a Performance RWD car, (297 for non-P RWD).

So, the questions now are:
Should I feel comfortable charging to 100% and utilizing the full 272 range with the idea that I'm actually charging to 93%?
Should I push Tesla to uncork the battery, at least to 280 range, since they emphatically told me it would not be software capped?

None of this is pressing -- more of an intellectual puzzle and the desire to get Tesla to honor their word.
Are you running an old software version? My speedometer hasn’t looked like that since I had a p85 in 2017. Now if I want to see the regen it must come from the energy graph on the left, not on the center speedometer which just shows speed

Are you running an old software version? My speedometer hasn’t looked like that since I had a p85 in 2017. Now if I want to see the regen it must come from the energy graph on the left, not on the center speedometer which just shows speed
That's not old software version. Tesla has it branched all the way up through the new software. The old cars before any of the radar or autopilot hardware got to keep that old speedometer look since there is no autopilot surrounding vehicle information to show there. I still have that on my 2014 S85 too.

Add me to the list of 2013 MS 85's getting BMS_u029 this week.

Answering some of the questions I've seen in this thread and others:
MS 85 w/ 83k miles
Battery warranty expired Dec 2021
Software: 2022.8.10.5 - I don't recall when it was installed, but I don't think it was right before - I usually just let the updates do their thing.

Error popped up on Wednesday morning after I had charged to 90% on my home charger overnight. I drove rest of the week, battery is now at 40% and still will not take a charge (immediately says Charge Complete after starting charge). Today I tried the various tricks I read on here (4 finger reset, reset the tires, factory reset) but none have changed the situation.

Car has run thru 12V batteries multiple times over the years, last one replaced in July'21. I bought thru CPO in 2017 and the drive unit was replaced under warranty right after that. Like others I have some decisions to make - will find out what Tesla quotes me on a battery this week.

Is there any way to tell how much charge it will hold or will it continue to degrade? From other posts it seems like 60ish miles is typical
I'm trying to figure out if I can buy time to make a decision or if these are my last 100 miles.
I received a BMS alert as well and was limited to 30 miles max range. I connected it to a 120 outlet and left it plugged in over several days. Let it trickle charge. It slowly rebalanced. After 24 hours max charge was 40 miles. Another day was up to 50. It would charge and then stop. Finally hit 90%. This is not a fix but bought me some time until I was able to get the battery replaced.

I received a BMS alert as well and was limited to 30 miles max range. I connected it to a 120 outlet and left it plugged in over several days. Let it trickle charge. It slowly rebalanced. After 24 hours max charge was 40 miles. Another day was up to 50. It would charge and then stop. Finally hit 90%. This is not a fix but bought me some time until I was able to get the battery replaced.
After some more driving and testing it seems I'm topping out at 39-40% charge. I'm charging off the 240V/32A charger and the system ramped down the current as it got close to 39%. Not sure I've got the patience to dig out the 120V charger and see if it will trickle charge higher.

Still looking if anyone has experience continuing to drive for extended period with this error. If the range maintains I've still got a commuter car (back to my Fiat 500e days) and I can take some time to make a decision. If I'm rolling the dice that any morning I could get in the car and it will be dead then there is some urgency.

I'm not optimistic that range will get unlocked with a FW update or that Tesla will change their replacement policies (most likely I'm just pushing myself backwards in the queue) - I just prefer to take my time making 5-figure decisions.

After some more driving and testing it seems I'm topping out at 39-40% charge. I'm charging off the 240V/32A charger and the system ramped down the current as it got close to 39%. Not sure I've got the patience to dig out the 120V charger and see if it will trickle charge higher.

Still looking if anyone has experience continuing to drive for extended period with this error. If the range maintains I've still got a commuter car (back to my Fiat 500e days) and I can take some time to make a decision. If I'm rolling the dice that any morning I could get in the car and it will be dead then there is some urgency.

I'm not optimistic that range will get unlocked with a FW update or that Tesla will change their replacement policies (most likely I'm just pushing myself backwards in the queue) - I just prefer to take my time making 5-figure decisions.
No need to get your 120 volt charger out. You can simply set your amperage to a low setting, such as 5 amps, for a trickle charge.

Good luck.

Reactions: Dawave and Droschke
Add me to the list of 2013 MS 85's getting BMS_u029 this week.

Answering some of the questions I've seen in this thread and others:
MS 85 w/ 83k miles
Battery warranty expired Dec 2021
Software: 2022.8.10.5 - I don't recall when it was installed, but I don't think it was right before - I usually just let the updates do their thing.

2022.8.10.5 was released on 9-19-2022
Sounds like your error popped up on Wednesday, 9/28? Mine happened on 9/24 after the same software update.

Hopefully partly on topic, but I'm seeing a big drop recently in RR on Teslafi for cars like my 85D.

Possibly a recent update nerfed the range (Again) so they can get as many 2014 to 2015 build 85 packs as possible to fail just out of warranty?