Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 HV battery replacement options -- need perspective.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully partly on topic, but I'm seeing a big drop recently in RR on Teslafi for cars like my 85D.

Possibly a recent update nerfed the range (Again) so they can get as many 2014 to 2015 build 85 packs as possible to fail just out of warranty?

Are you saying there will be another thread like the "Sudden Loss Of Range With 2022.xx.yy Software"? :). I hope not.

@JTV3 -- My situation is identical to yours. 2013 MS 85, same expiration date, same software version. My vehicle / app showed 280 miles as recently as 1 month ago when I charged up to 100%. Got the error 1 week ago on Saturday. Miles were capped at 107 ... then 97 .. then back up to 106 .. now back down to 97. Same thing: factory reset, 4-button .. nothing.

I've researched all the 3rd parties options, the Tesla refurb option and I think I'm going to replace it with a new pack at the SC. Message me if you have any questions.
This just happened to me as well ! 2013 Tesla Model S 85kw

I wonder if they throttled supercharging and deferred battery failure just long enough to be out of warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if a class action couldn't be formed . I certainly understand age and limits of battery life. But the throttling and reducing the usable range as advertised might be a legal leg.

IMG_5552.jpg

This is my final quote from Tesla for the 90kw replacement repair

This just happened to me as well ! 2013 Tesla Model S 85kw

I wonder if they throttled supercharging and deferred battery failure just long enough to be out of warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if a class action couldn't be formed . I certainly understand age and limits of battery life. But the throttling and reducing the usable range as advertised might be a legal leg.
---
This is my final quote from Tesla for the 90kw replacement repair
Anything is possible with an OTA software update. They've done it before so it's 100% possible.
If you're able to talk to someone, ask them to check the AC drain and confirm that it's not draining on the new battery pack. If it's not diverted, then I would pay a little extra to do so. Or you can DIY.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne
They're quoting me $18k and the pack they're referencing (1014114-00-D) is my current original 85KWH pack.
When I asked them if I can receive your price and battery pack (since I also have a 2013 MS 85), here's their response:

View attachment 861299

If they’re quoting you a new pack, it will almost certainly be the same part that JoshK got. There is no such thing as a new 85kwh 1014114 pack in 2022.

No idea RE the $1k price difference other than Tesla is nothing if not inconsistent.

Reactions: Rqcg
2022.8.10.5 was released on 9-19-2022
Sounds like your error popped up on Wednesday, 9/28? Mine happened on 9/24 after the same software update.

I saw the error Wednesday morning 9/28. If I recall correctly I charged on Monday night but did not drive or interact with the car at all on Tuesday.

I do not recall when the software update installed - is there a way to tell? (Although I've done a factory reset since then, so I'm guessing even if there was a way that history has been wiped)

when you took your car in for service, they just offered you a remanufactured battery or a new battery?
i have a 2105 model s 85d
when i just talked to my service center today they just told me they only offer the remanufactured battery and there is no new battery for the car, and when i told them people are getting new 90kw batteries in their cars they told me its not real tesla news and they cant and are not doing it.
i think i need to find a new service center, these guys are idiots.
what should i do?

when you took your car in for service, they just offered you a remanufactured battery or a new battery?
i have a 2105 model s 85d
when i just talked to my service center today they just told me they only offer the remanufactured battery and there is no new battery for the car, and when i told them people are getting new 90kw batteries in their cars they told me its not real tesla news and they cant and are not doing it.
i think i need to find a new service center, these guys are idiots.
what should i do?
I had to go to another SC to get someone to respond to my request. My initial SC said that they don't sell remanuf packs -- go figure.

Your battery is still under warranty, correct? My understanding is that they are putting in remanuf battery packs for warranty work. And it won't extend your warranty.

You can extend your warranty (and get the 90 KWH pack) by buying a new pack, but you're better off with the remanuf pack since it's free.

I had to go to another SC to get someone to respond to my request. My initial SC said that they don't sell remanuf packs -- go figure.

Your battery is still under warranty, correct? My understanding is that they are putting in remanuf battery packs for warranty work. And it won't extend your warranty.

You can extend your warranty (and get the 90 KWH pack) by buying a new pack, but you're better off with the remanuf pack since it's free.
im personally not interested in another remanufactured battery pack, im willing to spend the extra money on a new pack, but i need to find a place that will give me a yes. my pack is under warranty till march 2023 , theres about 120,000 miles on it right now, and im sick of the slow supercharging, as my only car it makes road trips a burden.
i checked my 2 closest service centers, dublin ca, and fremont ca, and they both told me they cant put the 1014116-00-c in my car.

Reactions: ddb1001