Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 Model S Signature for sale, 124k mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

This is my first post at TMC, but I have benefited from the community since we bought this vehicle back in 12/2018. Now, hoping to both give back and take advantage of the amazing community here, by putting our Tesla Model S for sale.

We bought this car used from a dealership in Northern Virginia that buys quite a number of used Teslas, and have had it now for a year and a half; of note, we have only driven maybe a year out of that time, as we didn't drive for a few months while trying to fix a registration issue, and now because of the Covid thing (it was my commuter vehicle, but haven't been doing that for a bit).
The battery is in quite good shape, and likely was replaced some time before we got it (has a revision B on it), plus I just replaced the drive train last year, as it was milling for a time. But, the warranty is up in December of this year, and though we may not need to replace them any time soon, we don't want to have that responsibility on our hands.
Battery charge seems to be holding to around 98 to 99% of the original (likely since it was replaced at some point), and tires still have some life in them.
The car comes with air suspension, and 19" wheels, original MCU, and original "microwave" frunk.

I want to be totally candid here, as there issues in the vehicle that we didn't feel needed to be fixed immediately. The first major issue is that the sunroof does not function, and will need to be replaced, which quoted by Tesla as a replacement for the entire panoramic roof. We just didn't use it; the motors are the issue, and I'm not willing to DIY it.
The front bumper cover was mostly torn off, as the result of parking too close to parking bumpers, and the air suspension relaxing on top of them. Tesla service did their best to bolt it on, and hasn't given any issues, but will need to be replaced if looking for cosmetic fixes (might be a good opportunity to switch out for a retrofit new model grill?).
There is also a strange issue with the front driver side window, which took a while for me to figure out; it very slowly goes out of alignment, and then eventually will not close when the door is shut. Resetting the window seems to work, but it may need a full window motor replacement.
Also, rear driver side door handle needs to be replaced (again). That may be a good DIY project, as it seems that may be a better option than letting service fix it, for a more permanent fix.
I will add some interior pics (kind of using it for storage at the moment, need to clear it out) but want to sell it as soon as possible.
Asking $28,000 OBO
IMG_6826.jpg
IMG_6827.jpg

Thanks for looking!
IMG_6828.jpg
IMG_6829.jpg

I certainly could be wrong, but I believe you'll need to lower your price given the fact that it's a pre-AP (+ no sensors, etc), original MCU (so a near guarantee of failure then), $$$$ fixes for sunroof and bumper, as well as the rear door handle fix. No pictures of inside, so don't expect any activity until you've taken complete pictures of everything.

But, who knows - it's a strange market. I think you have to get around the $25k mark to really get people exited.

Reactions: Big Earl and Maaz
All those issues coupled with the few months remaining on the battery/drive train warranty, I’d say you’ll have a hard time getting 28k

20k would be more realistic unfortunately.

I would think the same thing. A Tesla out of warranty for both the drive unit and battery soon in addition to the other issues (pano roof issue, driver window, rear door handle, front bumper, poor body condition (paint, clearcoat on roof, moisture in tail light), and rear suspension) seems like a lot of money for someone to fix in the near future. Also the lack of AP/sensors so you don't get the cool display and the dying MCU1 is just the icing on the cake. Maybe you can find the right person for it but 28k seems a bit steep.

The "part it out" crowd gets excited at some point in the mid to low 20's. If the battery is as good as you say it might be worth 18K+.

@wk057 to see if he is interested in it.

I hate to see Tesla's get parted, but at some point it happens, better it go to someone who will support the community.

Good luck with sale, I am with the other guys, it doesn't make sense at that price. Tesla frequently has used S cars for sale for 31K and those come with a warranty, are two years newer, and less miles. They even have 85's for less, like 28K sometimes.

Most likely nothing. After an air-suspension S sits for a few days, the ride height lowers. Just have to hop in and hit the brakes to turn on the car and it will re-elevate.
The struts might also be leaking. It wouldn't be the first S needing new struts due to air leaks.

My S with SAS can sit in the garage for a week or more at a time without it dropping down.

Reactions: Big Earl
Hi all,

This is my first post at TMC, but I have benefited from the community since we bought this vehicle back in 12/2018. Now, hoping to both give back and take advantage of the amazing community here, by putting our Tesla Model S for sale.

We bought this car used from a dealership in Northern Virginia that buys quite a number of used Teslas, and have had it now for a year and a half; of note, we have only driven maybe a year out of that time, as we didn't drive for a few months while trying to fix a registration issue, and now because of the Covid thing (it was my commuter vehicle, but haven't been doing that for a bit).
The battery is in quite good shape, and likely was replaced some time before we got it (has a revision B on it), plus I just replaced the drive train last year, as it was milling for a time. But, the warranty is up in December of this year, and though we may not need to replace them any time soon, we don't want to have that responsibility on our hands.
Battery charge seems to be holding to around 98 to 99% of the original (likely since it was replaced at some point), and tires still have some life in them.
The car comes with air suspension, and 19" wheels, original MCU, and original "microwave" frunk.

I want to be totally candid here, as there issues in the vehicle that we didn't feel needed to be fixed immediately. The first major issue is that the sunroof does not function, and will need to be replaced, which quoted by Tesla as a replacement for the entire panoramic roof. We just didn't use it; the motors are the issue, and I'm not willing to DIY it.
The front bumper cover was mostly torn off, as the result of parking too close to parking bumpers, and the air suspension relaxing on top of them. Tesla service did their best to bolt it on, and hasn't given any issues, but will need to be replaced if looking for cosmetic fixes (might be a good opportunity to switch out for a retrofit new model grill?).
There is also a strange issue with the front driver side window, which took a while for me to figure out; it very slowly goes out of alignment, and then eventually will not close when the door is shut. Resetting the window seems to work, but it may need a full window motor replacement.
Also, rear driver side door handle needs to be replaced (again). That may be a good DIY project, as it seems that may be a better option than letting service fix it, for a more permanent fix.
I will add some interior pics (kind of using it for storage at the moment, need to clear it out) but want to sell it as soon as possible.
Asking $28,000 OBOView attachment 563810 View attachment 563811
Thanks for looking! View attachment 563807 View attachment 563808
Hey check your DM, I'm near the Virginia area and interested!