Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 Pack Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point @snd92 . I have some hope that if this is a newly produced 90Kwhr pack that they are no longer using the same cells that had those issues. I would hope that they are not making 2 variations of the 18650 cell they use in the packs. Unless they just have these packs waiting on a shelf somewhere. But then I wouldn't expect it to take a month and a half to get one if they did.

I need to take care of my 85. Too much initial degradation and SuC speed limit on 90-packs :p

Good point @snd92 . I have some hope that if this is a newly produced 90Kwhr pack that they are no longer using the same cells that had those issues. I would hope that they are not making 2 variations of the 18650 cell they use in the packs. Unless they just have these packs waiting on a shelf somewhere. But then I wouldn't expect it to take a month and a half to get one if they did.

I suspect they might be using the V1 and V2 packs as refurbs for the 85s, since the V1/2 packs are technically false advertising on the P90DLs. Sucks for the 85 people getting the Silicon Anode packs, though... the "extra" range is just smoke and mirrors. My P85 and P85D have the same range as my P90DL in terms of usable energy. (78 kWh usable on the 90 and 76 kWh usable on the 85... yay for that extra 2 kWh. I can run the seat heaters an extra few minutes!)

One owner reported receiving a recent September 2017 manufacture 90 as a replacement for his 85. This is most certainly not a V1/2 pack. Not that it matters really, @wk057 has indicated that even V3 suffers from excessive degradation. There is no known “good” variant of the 90.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD0g
I guess I would worry more if it weren't for the 8 year warranty. If I blew through a "good" 85 pack in 2 years, I don't think a "inferior" 90 is going to last 5-6 more years. It would be good to know if and why the new replacement packs we are getting are still the V1 inferior tech and why/how is it different than the new 75 and 100's. It took a month to get my pack and they said it was coming from Europe which is curious.... Power output and range are definitely up from my 85 so no complaints so far.

Reactions: Galve2000
One owner reported receiving a recent September 2017 manufacture 90 as a replacement for his 85. This is most certainly not a V1/2 pack. Not that it matters really, @wk057 has indicated that even V3 suffers from excessive degradation. There is no known “good” variant of the 90.
So your thinking that they are still manufacturing 90 packs with the known bad silicon anode cells? I don't suppose that owner got a pic of the battery label?

I do not believe 100 packs are legal in pre-facelift cars due to crash test and suspension requirements. And if Tesla desides to SW-limit 100’s we have a weight disadvantage. Anyway, I hope to get a P100D with plus suspension. ;)
I will sacrifice my P85 if Tesla wants to crash test it so that others may be retrofitted with 100 packs.... After they give me a new 100D or preferably a P100D :)

I guess I would worry more if it weren't for the 8 year warranty. If I blew through a "good" 85 pack in 2 years, I don't think a "inferior" 90 is going to last 5-6 more years. It would be good to know if and why the new replacement packs we are getting are still the V1 inferior tech and why/how is it different than the new 75 and 100's. It took a month to get my pack and they said it was coming from Europe which is curious.... Power output and range are definitely up from my 85 so no complaints so far.

Have you noticed a difference in your supercharging behavior since getting the new 90 pack?