Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 Pack Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So your thinking that they are still manufacturing 90 packs with the known bad silicon anode cells? I don't suppose that owner got a pic of the battery label?

I do actually :)
F07CC36E-2B05-4D3C-B186-E98C4E504D66.jpeg

Attachments

• D97AE644-4381-4458-A6FF-227BF7364878.jpeg
    D97AE644-4381-4458-A6FF-227BF7364878.jpeg
    482.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Informative
Reactions: BigD0g
It's really hard to say at this point since the battery has been in my car for only about three months but so far it appears solid. Since the new battery was installed in October the weather has gotten much colder up here so my battery does show a slight loss but I attribute it to the cold as the 85 pack was behaving in a similar way the last three winters. I will have a much better idea of the initial degradation in April when we come out of this mini ice age. I'll try to remember to update this thread by then.

Well I guess I will find out what happens in another few weeks... I will continue to update here as I get more information on what they plan to do. All I know right now is that they have let the battery in the car go flat. App no longer connects after showing 0% for a few days.

if it is any consolation, my new p90d pack i recived last june has only lost 2 miles. way better than my original 90 pack that lost like... 10 miles in a few months.
That is good to hear. I would really like to hear from just one P85 owner that had a battery replaced recently... The one person that has responded so far has been waiting for a battery for a year now..:eek:

Also if I am not mistaken that is the v3 pack right? Supposedly doesn't have the degradation or power issues that v1/2 had.

It does look like a V3 pack, indeed.

However, the V3 packs aren't any better for degradation than the V1/V2 packs and may actually be worse (if you use the extra power available on a regular basis). If you are putting a V3 90 pack in a P85, then it doesn't really matter - but it will be inferior to the 85 pack as far as degradation goes as well as SC throttling compared to an 85.

If I had my druthers, I'd take an 85 pack over a 90 pack any day.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
It does look like a V3 pack, indeed.

However, the V3 packs aren't any better for degradation than the V1/V2 packs and may actually be worse (if you use the extra power available on a regular basis). If you are putting a V3 90 pack in a P85, then it doesn't really matter - but it will be inferior to the 85 pack as far as degradation goes as well as SC throttling compared to an 85.

If I had my druthers, I'd take an 85 pack over a 90 pack any day.
That is true, I guess after a bit here I just kind of assumed the 85 doesn't exist anymore but coming from an A rev 85 pack the newer 85 or a 90 would be a step up.

I was really hoping that if they are still manufacturing the 90s that they would not be using the silicon anode cells since they have known issues. It seems pretty logical from multiple points of view to use the same cells as are used for the 75 and 100 packs that don't have the issues the 90 did. This doesn't mean that they are using them of course, they may have stockpiled cells to use up or something.

Sounds like they should just put a 100 pack in there and call it a day! :D