Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 Pack Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tyson

Nov 13, 2016
IA
So I was informed yesterday that my pack would have to be replaced. This is somewhat welcome news as I have had some issues with regen. My question to the folks here is who else has had an A rev pack replaced somewhat recently? What did they replace it with? Were you able to supercharge at 120KW rates or did you still have the 90KW cap? Feel free to add any other tidbits of information surrounding the process, good or bad.

The issue I ran into was a surging in the regen while above 90% SOC. Also had it got to zero on me but I was pushing it pretty low anyway so don't know if I blame it for that but the SC says that some imbalances in the cells and/or modules caused it to go to zero and likely caused the surging as well.

Several years ago, Tesla replaced the battery pack on our S P85 (VIN 3xxx) - and the new pack has supported the faster charging.
Good to hear. Did it make any appreciable difference in your charge times on trips? I had some fairly long charge times but now I am thinking that it could have been that the pack was just bad resulting in a quicker ramp to lower charge rates.

Due to charge tapering as the battery pack gets charged, the charge rate goes down - so the faster charging only helps when the battery is at lower charge levels - so it's not clear it's a huge net impact in charging times - especially for 50-90% charging.

Reactions: croman
Your regen surge is interesting. I just had my P85D pack replaced due to an internal fault. The new pack is a 90 and I now notice a regen unevenness when charged over 90%. Almost feels like you are on a bumpy road. Wasn't sure I was really feeling something until the second time it happened. I hope this isn't a sign there is an issue with the new pack too. I figured it was just a software issue.

Your regen surge is interesting. I just had my P85D pack replaced due to an internal fault. The new pack is a 90 and I now notice a regen unevenness when charged over 90%. Almost feels like you are on a bumpy road. Wasn't sure I was really feeling something until the second time it happened. I hope this isn't a sign there is an issue with the new pack too. I figured it was just a software issue.

So that is interesting. I hope it's not either since it seems, from talk in the forums here, that they are not making the 85 pack or doing refurbs. This would mean a 90kwh pack. I am not sure how they are going to do that though since there was never a P90. Did they make your car a P90D after the replacement?

yes, after much confusion it ended up an unofficial P90D. Once they told me I was getting a new pack and not a rebuild of mine, they said I would get a pack with 5% more range. I asked if it was a 90 pack and they hesitated to acknowledge it. Clearly they did not want to get in the habit of changing the name of cars after the fact. When I picked up the software in the car and my app said P90D. There was not a way to avoid this I suppose. They later even changed the badging to P90D so I think they have given up worrying about precedents being set. Will be interesting as we move forward and this continues to happen. They will likely have to come up with software versions that don't rename the car and you just end up with a bigger capacity battery. Performance and power output seems every bit as good as early P90D's from what I see here, but not to the point of refresh P90D's, so there is still something holding it back even though it is a new battery.

Interesting... What will be really interesting is how they handle these older P85s. Since they don't have the front DU they can't just call it a P90D and call it a day the way they did with yours. There will have to be some new options in the firmware to allow the RWD only cars to use the 90 or 100 packs at some point. I would imagine that they will get rid of the 90Kwh pack the same way in a few years.