Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 versus 2017 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
To a reasonable approximation:

transform.jpg

So I now have a 2017 Model S 100D.

Doug, your probably the best person to provide a good comparison between the early signatures and Teslas latest. I look forward to any thoughts you wish to share in that regard with respect to finish, driving dynamics etc

Congratulations on the 100D!

Okay we were in the progress of hijacking the other thread, so I've split this off.

I've only had the 100D for a whole day now, so I haven't fully experienced the car yet. So far there are lots of big and little differences.

Acceleration - about the same as the P85, as promised. It feels peppier at low speeds, but I don't think the 0-60 is faster (haven't measured yet). Still very fast. It has significantly better stability and handling under hard acceleration (within the limits of the traction circle of course). The P85 would tend to get a little tail-happy under acceleration; the 100D does not at all.

Tires - I went with the 19" rims, because I'm tired of losing 21" tires and/or rims to the ubiquitous Ottawa spring potholes. The car came with all seasons, though, which is a step down in performance. AWD compensates for that to a significant degree. I'll put better tires on when they wear out. (I kept the winter rims from the P85, though surprisingly they're starting to look a little rough.)

Autopilot - well what can I say... has AP2, old car didn't. AP2 is of course still a work in progress, but it does work. Pretty clever sticking cameras in the side badges. I really like having adaptive cruise control; for me that's actually a bigger deal than the autosteer.

100 kWh. Wow it's got a lot of range. P85 arrived in Montreal a little shy of 30%, 100D arrived home with nearly 50%. (Both started at 90%, drove about the same speed.)

Frunk - about 1/3 the space. Not a biggie because I rarely use it.

New seats - wow they're quite a lot better. The head rests now move up/down - motorized. That was a surprise.

Glass roof - I really like it! It's so darkly tinted you could pretty much safely observe sunspots through it, so maybe a bit overdone lol. It's more impressive from the back seat where you can actually see it. The P85's pano roof wasn't very reliable and didn't get a great deal of use except cracking it slightly for cooling when parked.

Center console - has some pros and cons, but mostly pros. Less storage space, but has hidden storage, a phone dock, and cupholders.

Cup holders - big improvement. It retains the existing two sucky cupholders. Adds two in the center console (removable and also way better) and two in the back seat (a biggie). My original cupholders had the little springy things for gripping the drinks, which disappeared very early on... but they were only modestly effective anyway.

Fit and finish - definitely better inside and out. Has one panel misalignment on the front fender though. More extensive alacantra, and the dark finish is nice.

Charger - going from 80A to 72A. Not a big deal. I usually charge at 40A anyway... but that takes quite a while to totally fill 100 kW. I've converted my Roadster charger to J1772 so I can charge at 70A if I really need faster.

Charge port - it automatically closes. Better than the old one, which would occasionally pop back open after you closed it!

Folding mirrors - I've disabled the auto-fold, but it will be handy occasionally. They do fold in when using Summon, and pop back out again when you get in - a nice touch.

Headlights - look superficially the same, but they're actually totally different. The old eyebrow was very visibly a series of LEDs, the new one looks continuous (it's frosted). The round HIDs are gone and replaced by LEDs. They give nice even illumination, but when looking into them they are so individually directional that you only see a couple of them. It seems to result in less visible glare.

Has the winter package. Will appreciate having the steering wheel heater.

Lost a couple of metal trim bits - under tailgate latch, pedals. Lost the carbon fiber spoiler at the back (was included with the Sig, but I didn't pay extra for it on the 100D).

Slight whirring sound from the front motor. It's actually much less noticeable than it was in the loaners I have driven, so they have improved on that substantially.

Red color - well it's brighter. Seems like I somehow blended the Roadster and the P85...

Congrats, Doug!

That's what I would buy if I were to upgrade my Tesla (minus the colour :)). The new P or PL is overkill in my opinion. You got the best range Tesla has to offer.

It's also good timing that they introduced the free supercharging for life!

Beautiful! I too feel the interior fit and finish is better on the 2017 S90D than our 2014 S85. Though the 2014 with new Drive Unit is dead silent up front compared to the high pitch wheeeee sound I hear on regen from the front. I do much prefer the AWD regen power and stability.

I wonder how much heavier a loaded S100D is compared to loaded S90D. I'm hoping 90Ds have a very slight advantage to 60. ;)

Reactions: pilotSteve
Congratulation Doug! I made a similar move last September and traded my 2013 P85 for a loaner/inventory 2016 P90D. It was one of the last Model S with the pre-refresh front end.

Similar to you, I'm very happy with the decision - particularly the acceleration and stability of the all-wheel drive configuration.

Cheers,

David