Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 S60 vs 2016 S60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I helped pick out the options and saw the paperwork.

Interesting. I wasn't paying that close attention to Tesla back then, but I've never seen any indications that they ever charged any 85 owner for supercharging. In fact, I'm pretty sure the original Supercharger announcement expressly said it was included for 85s. That's what Engadget's copy says, anyway:

Tesla reveals Supercharger network it says will cover the US in two years; Model S fills up for free, always

I don't care what anyone says our classic Model S 85kwh is still loads of fun to drive. We choose to buy this car instead of one with autopilot because we saved ~$25k. The car was loaded with all the features we wanted minus cold weather package. ANY model S is vastly superior to any ICE. Btw you can upgrade batteries which is something we hope to do when they come out with a battery large enough to drive 300 real world winter miles at highway speeds.

Btw you can upgrade batteries which is something we hope to do when they come out with a battery large enough to drive 300 real world winter miles at highway speeds.

It's probably better to say that we expect to be able to upgrade the batteries in the future. Aside from P85Ds getting Ludicrous and P90Ds getting the 100 battery, Tesla hasn't been very open to the idea so far.

After they have the Gigafactory running I expect they will be more willing, and Elon's made some tweets about it, but you can't buy an upgrade today (unless you happen to be one of the exceptions I mentioned above or a Roadster going to the 3.0 battery.)

MP3Mike people all over these forums mentions a 4 or 5kwh buffer to stop bricking on a completely flat battery. Not sure where they got it from but you can test. People who have supercharged from 1 mile range left only use 55kwh of energy suggesting that there is some left spare. There has to be some left spare as legally the Model S needs to be able to have hazard lights on and be able to be towed with lights on and have doors still open without hitting the emergency release.

You misunderstood what I was asking about. I agree there is an anti-bricking buffer but you were claiming that in the new 60 there isn't. (That you get the whole 60 kWhs. Which I don't think is true.)

The new S60 is massively superior to the old S60. The new S60 supercharger two times faster than the old S60. If you are posting this for your purchasing decision, DON'T buy the old S60 at any cost.
Unless it is only $32K or less. Not saying there is one but IMO this is what a usef 60 should cost now. Btw for all that says 80A charger. It is a $2K option. Normally you only get 40A if that car was not preconfigured with 80A charger.

Finally the warranty is only 125K miles for the old 60s if I remember correctly. New have 8 years unlimited miles.

For those who are using their old 60s heavily. They should be out of warranty soon on their drive train and battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPUConn