Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Sig Motor Fault 3 months out of Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2012 Sig (S2108) blew its motor yesterday 3 months out of the 8yr drivetrain warranty. It's Spring here in Canada - car has been in freezing temps since October, parked outside, but always under a carport. Here's the thing, when Tesla service opened up the motor after faulting to the point of bad smell, crunchy drivetrain (welded!), power loss and 12V battery death, water poured out of the motor like 'Niagara Falls'. So sure, it is an older car. But it has never been in a flood. Water simply accumulated in the motor over the course of regular use. So my questions are:

1. Is this a manufacturing defect (seals/bearings)?
2. Is this an installation defect/workmanship issue? - or -
3. Are Tesla motors designed to fill with water and fault after a certain period of time?

Presumably motors filling with water is not expected to happen, so it must be #1 or #2. It's nearly $15k to replace the motor. If water has been in there, it has been in there for well more than 3 months - in other words the seals failed well before my drivetrain warranty was up. If it is a manufacturing or design flaw, or even a workmanship issue, is Tesla within their rights to not accept any responsibility - since there is not a single thing an owner could do in the way of preventative maintenance to prevent this issue from happening and finally; if I do pay to have the motor replaced, what is to prevent this from simply happening again?

If anyone has advice or similar experience I am all ears.

Attachments

• 40095048-2834-49EC-9E6B-8DC7395475C3.jpeg
    40095048-2834-49EC-9E6B-8DC7395475C3.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Informative
Reactions: PStewart