Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Corvette vs. Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which seems to be why "Launch Control" is a popular feature:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_control_(automotive)
http://tunertools.com/articles/Launch-Control-101.asp

Ford promo Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_VSknNCVHs lots of Launch control videos on youtube.

There is still a substantial mechanical delay, even with launch control, thanks to the large amount of slack in the drive train of an ICE. 0-3-0.6 seconds VRT is at a drag strip with REAL launch controls, lol.

But more important is the simple fact that a Tesla doesn't require any of that. Press the pedal and go. Instantly.

Oh and regarding the "they really need launch control to compete", I can hear the gasoline era vehicle enthusiasts crying out "it's not fair".

They're right. It really is unfair. Model S simply outclasses them.

No. It was the mechanical reaction time of the Vette that is slow. To make it even a fair race the Vette driver needs to react well before the Tesla driver does, by anticipating the light. 0-60 testing methodologies completely ignore this. The need for a motor to wind up, and for the mechanical processes to transfer energy to the ground, is the reason that drag racers rev up to high RPM's before the green, and then hit the "go" switch while the light is still yellow (instead of waiting for the green).

The Tesla driver doesn't need to do any of this. He just presses the pedal and instantly has full power being transmitted to the ground. This effect is why every single video of a Tesla vs any other car, starts with the Tesla moving off the line well before the other driver even appears to be reacting. And inevitably folks want to blame the driver, instead of the mechanical reaction times of the car, which easily account for over 0.6 seconds just to transmit energy to the ground. By that time the Tesla is already 10 feet ahead and accelerating, and the ICE driver looks like a fool.

This.

Just think about all the sequences in an ICE that have to take place before the rubber feels any torque against the asphalt (NOTE, greatly simplified and loosely paraphrased here for illustration)...
1) Pedal drops
2) Multiple points of mechanical linkage and cable move throttle assembly opening (new cars may electronically signal) open valve for more gas to enter system
3) Fuel injection adds air and creates mixture
4) Builds fuel mixture pressure and waits for valves in each cycle of the piston's 4 strokes
5) Fuel begins to affect multiple pistons
6) Explosion rates increase with force and frequency
7) Crank shaft spins up
8) Transmission and clutch begin to transfer/handle the load going through first universal joint
8b) May be a need for transmission shift point (which just wastes huge amounts of linkage/time)
9) Energy moves to drive shaft (assume rear wheel drive), then through the next universal joint
10) To rear differential
11) Converted energy to rear axles
12) Before it finally turns the wheels

There are so many moving parts that all support each other and have to work in concert, so really there are many more points that happen in an ICE spool up. It's really amazing as CO suggests the .6 second delay isn't actually longer.

I think it would be interesting to add up all the "slop" in play throughout all the mechanical linkages.

Many of you have already seen this, but watch what happens with every shift point against this V10 Viper (not all linkage related, but you get the idea) ...
Tesla Model S Performance vs Dodge Viper SRT10 Drag Racing 1/4 Mile - YouTube

This.

Just think about all the sequences in an ICE that have to take place before the rubber feels any torque against the asphalt (NOTE, greatly simplified and loosely paraphrased here for illustration)...
1) Pedal drops
2) Multiple points of mechanical linkage and cable move throttle assembly opening (new cars may electronically signal) open valve for more gas to enter system
3) Fuel injection adds air and creates mixture
4) Builds fuel mixture pressure and waits for valves in each cycle of the piston's 4 strokes
5) Fuel begins to affect multiple pistons
6) Explosion rates increase with force and frequency
7) Crank shaft spins up
8) Transmission and clutch begin to transfer/handle the load going through first universal joint
8b) May be a need for transmission shift point (which just wastes huge amounts of linkage/time)
9) Energy moves to drive shaft (assume rear wheel drive), then through the next universal joint
10) To rear differential
11) Converted energy to rear axles
12) Before it finally turns the wheels

There are so many moving parts that all support each other and have to work in concert, so really there are many more points that happen in an ICE spool up. It's really amazing as CO suggests the .6 second delay isn't actually longer.

I think it would be interesting to add up all the "slop" in play throughout all the mechanical linkages.

Many of you have already seen this, but watch what happens with every shift point against this V10 Viper (not all linkage related, but you get the idea) ...
Tesla Model S Performance vs Dodge Viper SRT10 Drag Racing 1/4 Mile - YouTube

Your list somehow reminds me of comparing the move from playing music on cassette tape vs iDevice on flash drive. So much faster to play a specific song #36.

Many have yet to figure out the mechanical dynamics and inefficiencies of an MS vs ANY ICE.

Today, minding my own business on open freeway (light traffic) a guy in a clearly modified Lexus SC430 (4.8liter V-8) with noisy high output exhaust, and I believe a custom shifter, pulls up next to me as I am cruising about 65, and really wants to play. I try to be subtle (since I am in my 60's) but he really wants to play :) So, now we are down to 55 or 60, and I just nodded and hit it...................surprisingly he was able to stay with me from 60 until he had to SHIFT.....I was close to 100...............what a joke .............he just disappeared in the rear view mirror. Poor guy was blown away, but later as we reconnected at about 60 and he gave me a big TESLA GRIN and a thumbs up! Probably another convert!

Physics and inherent design wins again!!!!!!!!!...........and...............I only have a standard 85 :)

Also, all of the noise was from the Vette. The Model S was just a "whoosh".

And after the first pull the driver said in wonderment "I've never seen anything.. *blurred*" ... Then when he was asked if he was REALLY trying the first time, he clenched his jaw and said "No".

So then he REALLY got serious for the second pull, and did much better (to the detriment of his drivetrain), but the poor Vette was huffing and puffing and still falling behind. Lol.

It really is a quality video. Tesla needs to play that on a loop on a big screen at every store.

Many have yet to figure out the mechanical dynamics and inefficiencies of an MS vs ANY ICE.

Today, minding my own business on open freeway (light traffic) a guy in a clearly modified Lexus SC430 (4.8liter V-8) with noisy high output exhaust, and I believe a custom shifter, pulls up next to me as I am cruising about 65, and really wants to play. I try to be subtle (since I am in my 60's) but he really wants to play :) So, now we are down to 55 or 60, and I just nodded and hit it...................surprisingly he was able to stay with me from 60 until he had to SHIFT.....I was close to 100...............what a joke .............he just disappeared in the rear view mirror. Poor guy was blown away, but later as we reconnected at about 60 and he gave me a big TESLA GRIN and a thumbs up! Probably another convert!

Physics and inherent design wins again!!!!!!!!!...........and...............I only have a standard 85 :)

That's awesome! The Lex was able to keep up temporarily because he had his revs up where his torque was actually usable. But, as you said.. he's gotta shift sometime! hehehe

Also, all of the noise was from the Vette. The Model S was just a "whoosh".

And after the first pull the driver said in wonderment "I've never seen anything.. *blurred*" ... Then when he was asked if he was REALLY trying the first time, he clenched his jaw and said "No".

So then he REALLY got serious for the second pull, and did much better (to the detriment of his drivetrain), but the poor Vette was huffing and puffing and still falling behind. Lol.

It really is a quality video. Tesla needs to play that on a loop on a big screen at every store.

lol i love seeing how an ice struggles to compete against a tesla that just accelerates away with ease, gotta love electric :cool: