Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S 60kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anytime you ask others for value opinion, you are going to get the high ball and low ball figures, and many more in between. Don't dwell on the low and the high. Focus on the middle third of the curve, adjust each way for mileage, option, batt size, etc., and you'll find the car's best price.

Dear Everyone.

Thank you for much for your opinions and inputs. Regardless of whether your comments were positive or not, they are greatly appreciated.
I think we all came to the same conclusion.
The one thing I did take away from this is the suggestion to put it up for sale without reserve, which I'm trying now.
However, I never meant to really get rid of my car. As I said before, if it wasn't for the mistake of putting it up for "run til it sells", my Tesla wouldn't be up for sale right now.
So, if I get a really good offer, I'll take it, and buy another one right back.
But if I don't, I am more than satisfied with my Tesla. It has been a long time coming, it took me over 2 years to finally acquire it, and after being homeless 9 years ago, to now owning my own home, business, and my $70k Tesla, I don't have any complaints.
Thanks for all your words, and long live the spark!

-Ronnie C.

I know you closed the thread and all, but just thought I'd add that "real-time traffic" and "daytime running lights" can't really be considered "extras", since they come standard... unless these are third-party versions?

I also think that the lack of tech package sinks the second-hand value quite a bit, probably more than what it would have cost to get it in the first place. Also 21's and spoiler is not really warranted on a 60, it doesn't have the performance for it IMHO, so it's just for looks, and most of the forum folks are not in it for the looks (I believe).

So yeah, I concur with others. If you got an offer for $45k from Tesla, my advice would be to take it.

Wow. Not to undermine our opinion, and with all due respect. But that number is a little insulting. Especially since Tesla's quote is the lowest one you can get, and theirs was $45k. And that was before the upgrades.
Thank you for your insight though.
Are you looking to buy another Tesla? I guess what I mean is, were you asking Tesla the trade-in value they would offer you OR were you just considering a simple sale to Tesla?

Sounds like "the market" has spoken: $45-49K. Mostly likely the OP will just keep it, since he feels it's worth more. I can certainly understand it. I've got a 2011 Leaf that "the market" thinks is worth $8-12K. I'll just keep driving it all over town, 20 miles here, 20 miles there, and not worry about battery degradation until after I'm retired.

My instinct as I read this was 48-50k. For a 60 with options and supercharging I have seen one with 30k miles listed internally where I work at iirc 54k and he could have sold 10 of them in an hour. There is a lot of buying support for model s around $50k as supply is low and it still saves the buyer $3k per year for 10 years even starting at high milage... So at that price the car net costs around $20k. I would list at 52k and see what happens.

Do I get a prize for closest? :tongue:

Seriously, though, thanks for going to the effort of running this, helps us all adjust our mental models of current demand. Now we all just have to convince the world that it is actually worth more than the current market (which I expect it actually is).

Well guys. I did the auction.

You weren't wrong.....but you were DEFINITELY not right, at all.

I put a high reserve on it, just to see what it would stall at. The auction stalled at $50,000.

But if I would have sold at that, it would leave me in a bad spot.

So there you have it.

-R.
Maybe you should have taken it. The resale value of 60s just dropped now that 70D is out with 75,000 base price, and that now includes supercharging and most of what was in the tech package.

I'm not so sure it will drop significantly from this announcement... The new base price is higher than the old 60. If someone needs over 100miles of actual range, but doesn't have lots of money then are more likely than before to look second hand. In fact I suspect some of the reason for tesla going 60->70 may be that there are now more second hand cars available to support the lower end of the model s market... So the base 60 isn't as needed.

I'm not so sure it will drop significantly from this announcement... The new base price is higher than the old 60. If someone needs over 100miles of actual range, but doesn't have lots of money then are more likely than before to look second hand. In fact I suspect some of the reason for tesla going 60->70 may be that there are now more second hand cars available to support the lower end of the model s market... So the base 60 isn't as needed.
Thing is though - while the new 70 is more actual cash, the increase in value is much higher. So it will probably really eat into the market for S60 with options which are now either built in for much cheaper overall.

I priced up a 70D like my base model 60 and my 60 has all the original extra items that they charge for now. It came to over $82K and I have owned my MS 60 for almost 2 year and have 43k miles on it. Still holds about 98% of its original charge, get 178 at 90%. I would think there are many people who would pay $55k for a car like this considering. I wouldn't sell my 60 for any price considering what I would have to pay to replace it. But I still believe this car with all the toys could easily bring $55-60k. A 70D like this would be over $90k. BTW, I firmly believe they had to increase the size of the battery to make up for the added loss of energy to the weight and 2 motors. I would never believe that car could get 240 miles of range. I think it was a bad move to make the base model now even MORE expensive. THat again will make the used 60s and 85s much more valueable

An auction with a reserve will not usually bid as high as one with no reserve. Plenty of bidders will add an extra $100 if they think they can "steal" the car at the last minute. No reserve would probably gain at least 10%, in my opinion.