Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S 85 Battery 🔋 Range and Charging Max

Jledea

May 25, 2021
Sierra Madre, CA
I have a 2013 Model S 85. I used to be able to charge at 275 max and now I am lucky 🍀 if I get 200 max. My range doesn’t last either. If my trip is 40 miles and my current charge is 150, I barely make it home 🏡 with 50 miles left. My battery 🔋 is no longer under warranty and it has been tested at dealership to ensure it is not damaged. The results comeback as battery 🔋 is in good condition. The Tesla technician described the issue of that of a cell phone 📲. With time it will lose its charge. I still don’t know how much it cost to replace the battery 🔋 when the time comes. I have heard $14,000-$20,000. Does anyone know?

Lasttoy

Mar 24, 2017
St Augustine, Fl
They ran test on my pack at 150k miles. It didn't pass. It was taking 60 to 70 miles to get to service center which is 43 miles away. They replaced my pack. With RE manufactured pack. The excuse is. ""we don't make 85 packs anymore""". It doesn't do any good to argue with service center, they don't care. My pack was one month from going out of warranty. Oh, he said there was no warranty on replaced pack. We will cross that bridge later if this used pack fails.
My thoughts are,. U buy a new car,. Battery goes bad. That don't go out back and put an old used battery in my car. No u get new one with same warranty. Advanced guy said same thing, he would replace with new battery .

WhiteWi

Supporting Member
Feb 21, 2021
Georgia
They ran test on my pack at 150k miles. It didn't pass. It was taking 60 to 70 miles to get to service center which is 43 miles away. They replaced my pack. With RE manufactured pack. The excuse is. ""we don't make 85 packs anymore""". It doesn't do any good to argue with service center, they don't care. My pack was one month from going out of warranty. Oh, he said there was no warranty on replaced pack. We will cross that bridge later if this used pack fails.
My thoughts are,. U buy a new car,. Battery goes bad. That don't go out back and put an old used battery in my car. No u get new one with same warranty. Advanced guy said same thing, he would replace with new battery .
Maybe they should just give you brand new Tesla while they are at it.

AmpedRealtor

Jun 30, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Replacing a malfunctioning pack with a remanufactured pack while it is under warranty is totally normal. That's what most people receive. Only in special circumstances is a remanufactured pack not used. Once you are out of warranty, you have the choice to purchase a reman or brand new pack for your car. If you purchase a new pack Tesla will give you a 90 kWh battery.

elammd

Jul 17, 2021
Chattanooga TN
My 2013 85 kWh Model S is at the Tesla service center now, with diagnosis of a bad battery pack and replacement cost with a new 90 kWh battery pack $22k including labor and tax. I have 140K miles on it. I decided to replace it, and the new one is on order. They are giving me a 4 year/50K warranty on the new battery pack.
Does anyone know if there is any value in the old battery pack? They told me only a portion of the pack was defective, but that the entire pack had to be replaced. I suspect Tesla will ship my old pack to California and refurbish it. Not being offered anything for it.

krishna3812

Jan 7, 2021
Newyork
My 2013 85 kWh Model S is at the Tesla service center now, with diagnosis of a bad battery pack and replacement cost with a new 90 kWh battery pack $22k including labor and tax. I have 140K miles on it. I decided to replace it, and the new one is on order. They are giving me a 4 year/50K warranty on the new battery pack.
Does anyone know if there is any value in the old battery pack? They told me only a portion of the pack was defective, but that the entire pack had to be replaced. I suspect Tesla will ship my old pack to California and refurbish it. Not being offered anything for it.
Did you ask if you can keep it?

Lasttoy

Mar 24, 2017
St Augustine, Fl
I got remanufactured pack under warranty. Refused to give me new pack. ""We don't make 85 packs anymore"""
I asked about warranty?? ""There is none""
There is firm in Phoenix that will fix a pack. They determine the bad module and replace it. I've seen on here cost 4k.

Lasttoy

Mar 24, 2017
St Augustine, Fl
That is your pack if they are not giving you anything. Take it home, via trailer. I bet the firm in Phoenix will buy it. Call Rich in Massachusetts, ask him.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC