Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S 85 Battery 🔋 Range and Charging Max

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Model S 85. I used to be able to charge at 275 max and now I am lucky 🍀 if I get 200 max. My range doesn’t last either. If my trip is 40 miles and my current charge is 150, I barely make it home 🏡 with 50 miles left. My battery 🔋 is no longer under warranty and it has been tested at dealership to ensure it is not damaged. The results comeback as battery 🔋 is in good condition. The Tesla technician described the issue of that of a cell phone 📲. With time it will lose its charge. I still don’t know how much it cost to replace the battery 🔋 when the time comes. I have heard $14,000-$20,000. Does anyone know?

They ran test on my pack at 150k miles. It didn't pass. It was taking 60 to 70 miles to get to service center which is 43 miles away. They replaced my pack. With RE manufactured pack. The excuse is. ""we don't make 85 packs anymore""". It doesn't do any good to argue with service center, they don't care. My pack was one month from going out of warranty. Oh, he said there was no warranty on replaced pack. We will cross that bridge later if this used pack fails.
My thoughts are,. U buy a new car,. Battery goes bad. That don't go out back and put an old used battery in my car. No u get new one with same warranty. Advanced guy said same thing, he would replace with new battery .

They ran test on my pack at 150k miles. It didn't pass. It was taking 60 to 70 miles to get to service center which is 43 miles away. They replaced my pack. With RE manufactured pack. The excuse is. ""we don't make 85 packs anymore""". It doesn't do any good to argue with service center, they don't care. My pack was one month from going out of warranty. Oh, he said there was no warranty on replaced pack. We will cross that bridge later if this used pack fails.
My thoughts are,. U buy a new car,. Battery goes bad. That don't go out back and put an old used battery in my car. No u get new one with same warranty. Advanced guy said same thing, he would replace with new battery .
Maybe they should just give you brand new Tesla while they are at it.

Replacing a malfunctioning pack with a remanufactured pack while it is under warranty is totally normal. That's what most people receive. Only in special circumstances is a remanufactured pack not used. Once you are out of warranty, you have the choice to purchase a reman or brand new pack for your car. If you purchase a new pack Tesla will give you a 90 kWh battery.

My 2013 85 kWh Model S is at the Tesla service center now, with diagnosis of a bad battery pack and replacement cost with a new 90 kWh battery pack $22k including labor and tax. I have 140K miles on it. I decided to replace it, and the new one is on order. They are giving me a 4 year/50K warranty on the new battery pack.
Does anyone know if there is any value in the old battery pack? They told me only a portion of the pack was defective, but that the entire pack had to be replaced. I suspect Tesla will ship my old pack to California and refurbish it. Not being offered anything for it.

My 2013 85 kWh Model S is at the Tesla service center now, with diagnosis of a bad battery pack and replacement cost with a new 90 kWh battery pack $22k including labor and tax. I have 140K miles on it. I decided to replace it, and the new one is on order. They are giving me a 4 year/50K warranty on the new battery pack.
Does anyone know if there is any value in the old battery pack? They told me only a portion of the pack was defective, but that the entire pack had to be replaced. I suspect Tesla will ship my old pack to California and refurbish it. Not being offered anything for it.
Did you ask if you can keep it?

A new Tesla would have dozens of issues from poor manufacturing. I’d rather have them honor the 1-year warranty for the remanufactured pack. That manager didn’t know what he was talking about but it’s not uncommon. I encountered this with my THIRD drive unit. The mechanic told me there was no warranty whatsoever. The Tesla repair webpage told me there was a 4 yr/ 50,000 warranty on drive units. I showed him and he said if there is an issue with the drive unit during that time, call and discuss before bringing it in. He stood by the idea that Tesla would not honor their warranty. He’s probably right. You’ll need an attorney and $7500 for their fees.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Tesla inevitably makes quite a bit back on your old pack. But the 90kwh pack shouldn’t exceed 23,000 installed with tax… your old pack is maybe worth 5-8k to them. So you’re paying through the nose when you could’ve had it repaired for 1/3 as much

• Love
What's that like logistically, if you don't happen to live nearby one of these places that repairs them such as Gruber's? Or are they becoming more common?

I absolutely believe in the right to repair (even if someone else does it on something like this...), and I hate the idea of just giving Tesla a battery so that they can sell you someone else's battery, who themselves probably paid $20k to have it replaced. There should be something like a core charge... $20K outright, or $5k with your core (which we can then refurb/resell).

I am glad the market is starting to produce these players, I wish them all the best.

• Love
Is there documentation that the $22k will actually get you a brand new battery pack with the latest cell chemistry? Also, what kind of warranty is there on this brand new battery? Will it charge at higher rates than the original battery?

Given that a new model S is basically 100 grand, 22k for a brand new state of the art battery isn't that bad of a deal.

• Informative
I got refurbished pack last year. SC "we don't make 85watt batteries anymore, u get repaired pack". I have email.
Also there was NO warranty, period. If we pay 22k? It will be for a refurbished pack. They will keep old pack, repair it and sell for 22k again. This totally a rip off. Gruber is the only solution.
Example. They said my accelerator pedal was bad, $160. New one $29 at NAPA. It's a stock Ford pedal ,used by the millions. My tie rod end wore out, $20 , stock Mercedes part made in Hungry. Front rotors off a Z06 Vette. U get the picture???

I forgot, no. Same slow charge rate since it's old pack. No way to tell how old replacement pack is. Zero warranty.
I got new motor and gearbox last year. They were new model, but again. ZERO WARRANTY. He said "car goes out of warranty, everything goes out of warranty, even if only a month old".
Not sure how new ICE cars go?? But my 2 yr old Corvette motor blew up. They replaced it, with full 3 yr warranty. No so from Tesla.

• Love