TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

2013 model s 85 battery failure

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TEUNTSLA, Oct 25, 2015.

1. TEUNTSLA

TEUNTSLA Member

Im posting to this to track the progress and share my experience along the way.

On september 19th I took delivery of a cpo 2013 model s 85 with 23000kms.
    Ive probably put on 700kms since taking delivery and enjoying the car tremendously, I will make any excuse to go for another drive when I can or to sit and tinker with the user interface.

Today I had a great get together and lunch with some local Tesla owners. As I was driving home i received 2 messages
    - low 12v power
    - low battery power

I turned the car off, and back on, now I had 4 messages showing:
    The 2 above and
    - pull over and park car as system will shut down
    - service required

I tried to plug the car in, but the recepticle showed red and wouldnt accept the plug in.

I called the roadside assistance number and they already had my info up. The tech pulled my logs, asked me to do a reboot and after nothing helping my situation said he'd get back to me by tomorrow after the engineers review the logs.

Not even an hour later I receive a call from Mark, the GM in vancouver, and he informs me that it looks like the battery failed and that they will replace my battery.

He informed me he will set me up with a luxury loaner from enterprise first thing tomorrow. Unfortunately there are no loaner Tesla's in alberta.

His promise was that i should have the car back within 10 to 14 days.

I am impressed so far with how quickly they moved, especially being that I I sunday.

As things progress i will post more. For those considering to buy a tesla this would be a major fear, as was one of mine, but the 8 year unlimited km warranty combined with their customer service should make this acceptable and provide some comfort.

2. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Sorry to hear that but good that Tesla is on top of it. Look under your car and record all the information on the battery plate. Then compare it when you get the replacement. It will be interesting to see the difference.

3. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Most likely 12V battery failure. The one that costs a few hundred bucks. Not the traction battery.

4. TEUNTSLA

TEUNTSLA Member

Thats what I hoped for, but no, the big one needs replacing as per Tesla

5. taurusking

taurusking Member

I am glad Tesla provided excellent customer service..which they do most of the time.

Keep us posted and hope you get your car back with new battery...

6. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Thanks for allowing us along on this progress and hope your replacement battery has more range!

7. Eco Capitalist

Thank you for sharing your experience. As someone who is seriously considering CPO next year when the lease on my ICE is up, it's good to read that Tesla's customer service is there should something major go wrong.

8. TEUNTSLA

TEUNTSLA Member

Where do i find the battery plate? thanks for bringing that up, i would be curious to see if it will be a new production or refurbished unit.

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Turn the steering wheel completely left/counter-clockwise. Then take a picture from behind the passenger front wheel. You should see your battery label there.

10. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

10-14 days?! Service swapped my battery in a matter of hours, not days.

11. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

There aren't a lot of service centres in Airdrie, Alberta. Or, indeed, anywhere in Alberta.

12. TEUNTSLA

TEUNTSLA Member

Correct, the car is getting shipped to Vancouver and back, the trucking co. is dispatched from Vancouver as well adding at least an extra couple days.
    Rental car has been organized by enterprise, they are picking me up at home tonight. They set me up with a Grande Cherokee.

13. TEUNTSLA

TEUNTSLA Member

Enterprise picked me up, put me in a jeep and Tesla even threw in gas. If the rest of this story keeps going like this I will be very pleased.

14. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

I had a drive unit replacement recently (after 2 years, 50,000 km). Tesla dropped off a nicer model car than mine on a Friday (the tech just drove up, took his tools etc out to transfer into my car), drove mine to the service centre in Vancouver, and reversed the process the next Wednesday.

Some day Tesla will have more service centres, but for now this sort of service definitely is worth the cost to Tesla I think as it engenders a lot of goodwill.

It should be noted that the cost to take a car on the ferry to Vancouver and back is more than $100.

15. TEUNTSLA

TEUNTSLA Member

So the car was picked up yesterday afternoon and is on its way back to Vancouver. The tow truck driver handled the car with extreme care, popped the nose cone off to boost it and get it rolling. it was switched to a transport unit shortly after.

They anticipate to have it ready by mid next week. Tesla has also agreed to fly myself and my wife out to Vancouver once its ready if we decide to drive it back which is something I asked them to consider.

16. Lon12

Lon12 Member

I've watched the video's of popping the nose cone off with credit cards to boost. What did he use for a tool to do that?

17. Judge Advocate

It won't be a new battery. I had the same problem earlier in the summer and they installed a loaner battery which i had for 4 months while mine was shipped back to California for repairs. i got mine back a few weeks ago.

18. TEUNTSLA

TEUNTSLA Member

Battery pack was supposed to arrive last Friday, but ended up being delivered for today. its a quick swap and should be done by end of day. Going to pick it up this weekend, excited to get it back. The service manager also asked me if there was anything else for them to look at and i mentioned the HVAC concerns as well. i was really getting used to not having to fill up on gas, now that its getting colder out and i'm filling up the rental in -6'C i am truly going to appreciate the plug and drive setup.

Given i am overnighting in Vancouver friday night before driving back, any suggestions on hotel options with Chargers?

19. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

Look on the supercharger map...It will say which hotels are close usually.

20. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

That's odd. Would've expected the Vancouver SvC to have few loaner packs on hand.