Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S 85 High Voltage Battery Failure | Replacement recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. I hope they don't lock your 1014116-00-C since you are paying for it.
I hope so, too. If they do, I'll contact them for sure, and I think after all my communication with them in the last 2 months, they'll expect it ;)

I keep monitoring actual usable pack capacity by tracking and comparing charged and discharged kWh, divided by the SOC-difference, both for super- and homecharging. Even assuming 100% charging efficiency and no losses to cooling etc. while charging, my REMAN pack that died after 2 months only had about 70 kWh usable from the get-to, far less than the promised approx. 77 kWh for a nominal 85 kWh pack.

My original pack that died in May still had had 66-67 kWh until it failed, after around 169k miles and 9.5 years (12/9/2012 MS P85).

Reactions: Droschke
Reactions: Anthony R.
How long did it take for them to upgrade the configuration? I’m currently waiting for mine to upgrade and I’m really impatient haha.
It was pretty quick actually, I messaged and asked, they said they'll do it once the invoice is fully paid. After payment, they did it at the Service Center within a couple of hours. Sorry for the late reply, seems I am not getting notifications and hadn't been on here in over a week.

Reactions: jhuang
It was pretty quick actually, I messaged and asked, they said they'll do it once the invoice is fully paid. After payment, they did it at the Service Center within a couple of hours. Sorry for the late reply, seems I am not getting notifications and hadn't been on here in over a week.
No worries, I think the day after I asked you they updated my car :)

Reactions: Roman Petres
Please share any experiences with your HV battery replacement out of warranty- appreciate it. Going to decide after official estimate from Tesla whether to go that route or ship the car to 057 and figure out something while it's being serviced.
This just happened to me last week. While on the road, my 2013 P85 gave an error about needing service, then got progressively more strident. "You may not be able to start once you've stopped," "Critical low voltage," then, once I'd pulled over, "Systems shutting down." Towed to SC, and after a few days of looking, diagnosed coolant tube failure and a flooded battery. "When we opened the umbrella vents, water poured out." Out of warranty about a year and a half. I'm considering my options this weekend, but likely to go ahead with the remanufactured battery. Car seems literally worthless without it, and I do like the 4-year warranty, and yeah: love the car and the free super-charging (kind of ridiculous in the scheme of things, but still).

I have a 2013 Tesla Model S P85 with lifetime supercharging and premium connectivity. It was given to me when it only had 61,000.00 miles. When I had the vehicle it was always was garaged when not in use and I had a home charger installed because I was told it does less wear and tear than supercharging the car on a regular and recurring basis, calling into question the value of supercharging the vehicle "as the norm". I only drove it 3,000 miles over a nearly 2 year period when the car died in the driveway at our home. No message displayed to warn me the battery was about to die. Prior thereto I noticed that the screen was taking longer and longer to boot up but I thought that just involved the screen (which had already been replaced by the prior owner). When Tesla surmised it was the high voltage battery my decision was whether to sell the car for salvage and buy another vehicle or to gamble on the quality of the service department in Cherry Hill, NJ by having them make the recommended repairs. Aside from the battery, they recommended an upgraded info screen which I intended to have installed anyway and four new tires. After I approved the original estimate I asked them to diagnose the car BEFORE they started the repairs they recommended so I could be assure the rest of the vehicle's components were in good working order and not in need of replacement in the foreseeable future. However, after the app indicated they had installed the battery and new tires the app notified me an additional $2,000.00 repair was necessary but the message from the service department was non-specific about what the additional cost was intended to fix. That is probably my biggest frustration with Tesla - arranging service through the app. The good news is that they promised a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty on the replaced battery. I was just notified the repairs were completed. It's too early to tell whether I made the right choice. If it remains in good working order for the next four years without any additional major repairs, then I will be happy!

I have a 2013 Tesla Model S P85 with lifetime supercharging and premium connectivity. It was given to me when it only had 61,000.00 miles. When I had the vehicle it was always was garaged when not in use and I had a home charger installed because I was told it does less wear and tear than supercharging the car on a regular and recurring basis, calling into question the value of supercharging the vehicle "as the norm". I only drove it 3,000 miles over a nearly 2 year period when the car died in the driveway at our home. No message displayed to warn me the battery was about to die. Prior thereto I noticed that the screen was taking longer and longer to boot up but I thought that just involved the screen (which had already been replaced by the prior owner). When Tesla surmised it was the high voltage battery my decision was whether to sell the car for salvage and buy another vehicle or to gamble on the quality of the service department in Cherry Hill, NJ by having them make the recommended repairs. Aside from the battery, they recommended an upgraded info screen which I intended to have installed anyway and four new tires. After I approved the original estimate I asked them to diagnose the car BEFORE they started the repairs they recommended so I could be assure the rest of the vehicle's components were in good working order and not in need of replacement in the foreseeable future. However, after the app indicated they had installed the battery and new tires the app notified me an additional $2,000.00 repair was necessary but the message from the service department was non-specific about what the additional cost was intended to fix. That is probably my biggest frustration with Tesla - arranging service through the app. The good news is that they promised a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty on the replaced battery. I was just notified the repairs were completed. It's too early to tell whether I made the right choice. If it remains in good working order for the next four years without any additional major repairs, then I will be happy!

What is the breakdown of the total cost?