Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S 85 quick clicking from rear when put in drive and reverse

2013 Tesla Model S 85 with 45,740 miles. Drive unit was replaced under manufacturers warranty October 2021. It started making this noise last night when I was backing into my driveway, I heard a loud thud as i started up the hill so I got out to check and make sure I didn't hit something and all was clear. When I got back in, I put it back into reverse and got a fast paced knocking sound. the harder I press the juice pedal, the faster the sound gets. I put it in drive and got the same sound. if you have any experience with this, please give me your input, it will be greatly appreciated!

I have uploaded a video to YouTube detailing the noise. Here's the link

Dustin

Reactions: rickyjb
2013 Tesla Model S 85 with 45,740 miles. Drive unit was replaced under manufacturers warranty October 2021. It started making this noise last night when I was backing into my driveway, I heard a loud thud as i started up the hill so I got out to check and make sure I didn't hit something and all was clear. When I got back in, I put it back into reverse and got a fast paced knocking sound. the harder I press the juice pedal, the faster the sound gets. I put it in drive and got the same sound. if you have any experience with this, please give me your input, it will be greatly appreciated!

I have uploaded a video to YouTube detailing the noise. Here's the link

Dustin

that is a strange noise that changes based on speed, making the noise while wheels were stationary too .
Bearing or oil pump failure? either way if it was replaced in oct 21 it should be under warranty, right ?

Good video here of the internals of the motor
23min onward

Upvote 0
that is a strange noise that changes based on speed, making the noise while wheels were stationary too .
Bearing or oil pump failure? either way if it was replaced in oct 21 it should be under warranty, right ?

Good video here of the internals of the motor
23min onward
Hi! I got the message from the Plano SC with their diagnosis and it is the drive unit. It is being covered by warranty :)

Upvote 0

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC