Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S 85 quick clicking from rear when put in drive and reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 Tesla Model S 85 with 45,740 miles. Drive unit was replaced under manufacturers warranty October 2021. It started making this noise last night when I was backing into my driveway, I heard a loud thud as i started up the hill so I got out to check and make sure I didn't hit something and all was clear. When I got back in, I put it back into reverse and got a fast paced knocking sound. the harder I press the juice pedal, the faster the sound gets. I put it in drive and got the same sound. if you have any experience with this, please give me your input, it will be greatly appreciated!

I have uploaded a video to YouTube detailing the noise. Here's the link

Dustin

Reactions: rickyjb
2013 Tesla Model S 85 with 45,740 miles. Drive unit was replaced under manufacturers warranty October 2021. It started making this noise last night when I was backing into my driveway, I heard a loud thud as i started up the hill so I got out to check and make sure I didn't hit something and all was clear. When I got back in, I put it back into reverse and got a fast paced knocking sound. the harder I press the juice pedal, the faster the sound gets. I put it in drive and got the same sound. if you have any experience with this, please give me your input, it will be greatly appreciated!

I have uploaded a video to YouTube detailing the noise. Here's the link

Dustin

that is a strange noise that changes based on speed, making the noise while wheels were stationary too .
Bearing or oil pump failure? either way if it was replaced in oct 21 it should be under warranty, right ?

Good video here of the internals of the motor
23min onward

Upvote 0
that is a strange noise that changes based on speed, making the noise while wheels were stationary too .
Bearing or oil pump failure? either way if it was replaced in oct 21 it should be under warranty, right ?

Good video here of the internals of the motor
23min onward
Hi! I got the message from the Plano SC with their diagnosis and it is the drive unit. It is being covered by warranty :)

Upvote 0