Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S Air Suspension - "woosh" sound and discharge from black line coming from the valve unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping the experts on this thread can help ... on my 2013 model S, the compressor runs almost continuously (as others have explained) ... in my case the black line coming out of the valve/distribution unit discharges air with a big relese just after the compressor stops then continues to release air ... this prompts the compressor to start again. This discharge and re-start of the compressor has been increasing in frequency over the last few months. Any help/pointers would be most helpful.

1669917084608.png

Hi there - I did a long driving test today and the fix appears to be holding. Can't thank you enough for pointing me to the video ... also THANKS! to https://www.youtube.com/@DIYGEEKTEXAS for the video.

For others, the issue was with a leak in the T junction, just like in the video. However, instead of replacing the T with a straight coupler (which effectively removes the fill/deflate valve), I made my own T ('cause i am too cheap to buy the part from Tesla :)). Here are the three items used:
1670467214933.png
1670467244712.png
1670467351290.png

So, I made this:
1670467405569.png
to replace this:
1670467435605.png
. I have to bend the bracket up just a bit since the new T is longer than the original which was touching the aluminum pipe below before the adjustment.

I learned a few things thru this DIY exercise. Hope the info above helps others.

Attachments

• 1670467427686.png
    1670467427686.png
    914.9 KB · Views: 105
Hoping the experts on this thread can help ... on my 2013 model S, the compressor runs almost continuously (as others have explained) ... in my case the black line coming out of the valve/distribution unit discharges air with a big relese just after the compressor stops then continues to release air ... this prompts the compressor to start again. This discharge and re-start of the compressor has been increasing in frequency over the last few months. Any help/pointers would be most helpful.

View attachment 880184
I have this exact problem description. The car suspension is still working normally, but the compressor is running longer and more often. Just as this use describes, I will hear a "swoosh" release of air once the compressor stops running and then a slow leak of air from the exhaust tube of the valve block for at least 10 seconds before it starts. I don't know if there is any connection, but this condition all started after getting my infotainment system upgrade. Is it possible that the new Infotainment system contains the set pressures for the air suspension system and that its set higher than the older generation air suspension? I've asked Tesla, but never get a reply. If not, I think I need to replace the valve block. I have no leaks from the struts since the suspension maintains its heights even after days of car just sitting. I'm thinking its a bad environment valve in the airblock. Thoughts? Thanks

I have this exact problem description. The car suspension is still working normally, but the compressor is running longer and more often. Just as this use describes, I will hear a "swoosh" release of air once the compressor stops running and then a slow leak of air from the exhaust tube of the valve block for at least 10 seconds before it starts. I don't know if there is any connection, but this condition all started after getting my infotainment system upgrade. Is it possible that the new Infotainment system contains the set pressures for the air suspension system and that its set higher than the older generation air suspension? I've asked Tesla, but never get a reply. If not, I think I need to replace the valve block. I have no leaks from the struts since the suspension maintains its heights even after days of car just sitting. I'm thinking its a bad environment valve in the airblock. Thoughts? Thanks
theres also an air dryer component, especially in the winter

how much is the actual T valve from Tesla?

I am starting to have an issue where after several weeks of the car sitting, all but one wheels sag a bit. if the car is driven every day there does not seem to e an issue with the sag, so i suspect it is a very small leak somewhere in the system. I might look into this valve but might there by any other suggestions on where to look? I took apart the entire front trunk area and took photos of everything. Perhaps the block where all of the suspension lines connect (the various colors)?

how much is the actual T valve from Tesla?

I am starting to have an issue where after several weeks of the car sitting, all but one wheels sag a bit. if the car is driven every day there does not seem to e an issue with the sag, so i suspect it is a very small leak somewhere in the system. I might look into this valve but might there by any other suggestions on where to look? I took apart the entire front trunk area and took photos of everything. Perhaps the block where all of the suspension lines connect (the various colors)?
Search for the leak by spraying soapy water at all the connections - valve block as you stated, compressor connections, and the reserve tank. Hopefully you’ll see some bubbles…

• Informative
Reactions: Alabaster
i pulled the passenger tires today and those struts seem to be fine when i sprayed amended water onto them (soapy water). the solenoid block also appeared to be ok without any leaks. I couldn't full access the rear side as the plastic molding was obscuring it.

i did find that the inline T fitting was leaking. oddly enough, when i moved the fitting. it leaked even more. it also appears (perhaps by design) that when you push the air line into the fitting it discharges even more air. when i checked it, it had 35 PSI in it which seems quite low. Is this behavior normal for that fitting (pushing air line into it or moving the actual T fitting) and causing a release of pressure?

Did you solve the problem. I have the same issue. I have tried to chenge the valve block, but no luck there.