Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S - Bubble in Center Console - ESP Covered???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 Model S with ~ 65.5k miles. I also have the 4-year Extended Service Plan. The Center Console Screen has developed a line across the top and approximately 3" down each side of the screen. There is also a sticky line of liquid down the right side of the center console of the car. I assume this is the liquid escaping from the screen causing the "bubble" appearance.

The TESLA service rep is telling me the replacement of this defective console is not covered under this Extended Service Plan. I've read a number of posts but haven't run across the absolute answer to my question which is: Has anyone had this covered by Tesla under the Extended Service Plan?

I'd prefer not going to arbitration if precedence has already been established.

Thanks everyone!

I have a 2013 Model S with ~ 65.5k miles. I also have the 4-year Extended Service Plan. The Center Console Screen has developed a line across the top and approximately 3" down each side of the screen. There is also a sticky line of liquid down the right side of the center console of the car. I assume this is the liquid escaping from the screen causing the "bubble" appearance.

The TESLA service rep is telling me the replacement of this defective console is not covered under this Extended Service Plan. I've read a number of posts but haven't run across the absolute answer to my question which is: Has anyone had this covered by Tesla under the Extended Service Plan?

I'd prefer not going to arbitration if precedence has already been established.

Thanks everyone!

I had the center display replaced because of bubbles and leaking fluid recently in my 2013 P85+. It was covered by the 4yr extended warranty, less a $200 deductible. They just replaced the display, not the entire computer.

Try calling other service centers in your area.

Last edited:
I had the center display replaced because of bubbles and leaking fluid recently in my 2013 P85+. It was covered by the 4yr extended warranty, less a $200 deductible. They just replaced the display, not the entire computer.

Try calling other service centers in your area.
Was this before or after Tesla latest innovations with warranty coverage - specifically declaring the car's screens as wear and tear items, i.e. you are responsible for regularly replacing them when they wear out? If screen are no longer warrantied under standard warranty, I wouldn't be surprised if they excluded them from ESA as well.

Was this before or after Tesla latest innovations with warranty coverage - specifically declaring the car's screens as wear and tear items, i.e. you are responsible for regularly replacing them when they wear out? If screen are no longer warrantied under standard warranty, I wouldn't be surprised if they excluded them from ESA as well.

July 4th.

I would think that they can't retroactively say they are not going to warranty previously covered items. New purchasers would be subject to the new terms. That would essentially make warranties useless, as they could just claim any poorly designed part as a wear item and refuse coverage.

Last edited:
That's interesting. I requested a mcu/screen service for a bubble condition on 7/19/19. The work was accomplished 8/7/19 and was covered by CPO warranty. The car is a 2013 S60 with 85,500 miles. I believe they replaced the screen and not the entire MCU. One additional thing, I scheduled my appointment thru the app. I didn't call Tesla.

Last edited:
It's absolutely covered under the ESP. If Tesla tries to exclude it as a wear-and-tear item then take their asses to court or file a NCDS arbitration. Tesla is acting poorly with its customers right now and they need to fight back and teach Tesla a lesson.

Call your local consumer reporter and have them bring a camera crew to the service center. Show them how your $100k car is deteriorating and how Tesla refuses to honor its warranty obligations. It's time for guerrilla tactics.

If this type of behavior continues on Tesla's part, I might suggest a hashtag: #nevertesla

Did you read the fineprint?

Someone in another post provided the text of his ESA, and it does not mention any exception that I would interpret to apply to the center screen. But his agreement was dated February 2, 2017. Does anyone have a later one they would post so we can see if there is indeed any revised language that Tesla might be applying in a case such as this?