Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S DU replacement. Extra charges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, recently purchased a 2013 Model S 85. The car has a clean title and still under warranty. After purchasing I started to notice the quite common milling noise caused by a faulty drive unit. After taking it to the service center they plan on replacing the drive unit under warranty, everything is fine there. But they also threw in these other repairs that they say need to be made, these I am being charged for. I attached a picture of my estimate that shows what is being replaced and what I am being charged (under job #2)
SmartSelect_20201130-142624_Drive.jpg
. I would like to know if these are absolutely necessary. Has anyone else ever experienced this from tesla?

Yes, with that many miles on it doing this "while you're there" is a great idea. These are very much wear items (at least the half shafts are) and since they're not charging you for labor, I would jump on this with both feet.

Mechanically, you'll be set for a very long time as the new parts are typically far better than the originals as well. The only parts left that you might be looking at are front suspension issues (likely to be replaced under the recall?), and possibly an MCU upgrade. Otherwise, you should be good to go for a very loooong time.

Enjoy your new Tesla!

I agree with the others. The half shafts on my 2013 were also replaced when motor was upgraded to model with ceramic bearings (eliminates milling noise). The shafts are subject to splining apparently, and do wear over time due to torque.

Yes, just noted that they have only ONE half shaft listed; recommend you ask why they're not doing both . . . this is the time to do them as they're likely both shot at that mileage . . . .

And to be more clear on my own post, even if the other half-shaft was okay now, you'd feel pretty silly paying for all the labor to replace it when it started to show signs of wear in, say, 10k or 20k miles from now.

It's a bit of pill to swallow, but I really think replacing both is an excellent idea as you'll be set for another 100k miles or more.

Let us know how it goes!

Out of curiosity, what's was the warranty offered on the new parts you'd be paying for? That would tell us how long Tesla expects them to last.
All parts carry the same 1 year 12.5k mile warranty, save a few exceptions.

The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the part(s), and coverage extends for a period of 12 months or 12,500 miles, which ever comes first. Specific categories of parts have unique warranty coverage periods:

• Sheet metal: Limited lifetime
  • Drive Unit*: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Vehicle High Voltage Battery*: 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Wall Connectors: 4 years
  • Touchscreen and Media Control Unit: 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first
Vehicle Warranty

Do folks who have had theirs replaced have some audio recordings of the sound it made?

I just got a 2013 P85+ and would like to check if the sounds I'm hearing are normal or not. The Service Center said they won't replace them, saying the sounds are not loud enough. I want to know because there's only 7 months left on my warranty.

Do folks who have had theirs replaced have some audio recordings of the sound it made?

I just got a 2013 P85+ and would like to check if the sounds I'm hearing are normal or not. The Service Center said they won't replace them, saying the sounds are not loud enough. I want to know because there's only 7 months left on my warranty.

2015 S85 with 155000 miles my first drive unit, replaced because HVIL failure and almost no noise. (Replaced March 2020 with Q revision.)

Now last week (so exactly one year later) it is replaced with another Q revision because a lot of noise. Miles between replacement last year is 5000.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4 and rickyjb
2015 S85 with 155000 miles my first drive unit, replaced because HVIL failure and almost no noise. (Replaced March 2020 with Q revision.)

Now last week (so exactly one year later) it is replaced with another Q revision because a lot of noise. Miles between replacement last year is 5000.

Forgot to mention but displayed speed is in kilometers not in miles if you want to compare.